JK and Bill Murray!!

Something to do with a Cubs game?

What was it?

Kleinhans, with violin, cello and piano.

Bill did poetry and sang some tunes with the accompaniment. Everything from Hemingway to Van Morrison to Jimmy Durante to Huck Finn and all stops in between. Capped off the evening by walking amongst the crowd and passing out roses/throwing roses at people.

A truly unique and transcendent experience.

Bill did poetry and sang some tunes with the accompaniment. Everything from Hemingway to Van Morrison to Jimmy Durante to Huck Finn and all stops in between. Capped off the evening by walking amongst the crowd and passing out roses/throwing roses at people.

That must have been awesome. Especially at Kleinhans. Haven't been there in years. why couldn't he have been there on a home game weekend. Did it sell out?

Saw him as MC at Claptons crossroads shows in Chicago twice. He has always has people on the floor laughing.

That must have been awesome. Especially at Kleinhans. Haven't been there in years. why couldn't he have been there on a home game weekend. Did it sell out?

Saw him as MC at Claptons crossroads shows in Chicago twice. He has always has people on the floor laughing.

If not sold out, it was pretty close. Had JK and his family a row or 2 ahead of me. It was a very unique performance and the review in the BN captured it pretty well. ALL the performers were tremendous. Needless to say the accoustics in Kleinhans are exceptional. Bill is not a singer per se but his voice was good, his inflections and readings were outstanding and, needless to say, his comedic timing is perfect.

Though not involved last night, the other pro team in Buffalo is the orchestra and I am looking forward to seeing them this year for the first time in a long long time. Anyone that can play at the level of these people gets my attention and respect even if exactly what they are playing might not be in my wheelhouse.

Edited by norton20

:lol::thumbsup:

Yeah, not gonna lie, still a little star struck from last night.

It was really really incredible. He has such range and versatility, and the best part is it is just so damn genuine. Could have been ten people or ten thousand people, he would have come across exactly the same.

And as mentioned, the musicians were world class, just amazing.

I like Bill Murray. I'll watch most anything with him in it. About 70% of the time it's good, and a decent portion of that is brilliant. But ... I'm sorry, I'm just not getting this latest shtick. Singing standards straight, but poorly. Not like horrible karaoke guy poorly, but still poorly. What am I missing? Is this like people paying to see Bob Dylan sing Frank Sinatra?

Edited by The Frankish Reich

I like Bill Murray. I'll watch most anything with him in it. About 70% of the time it's good, and a decent portion of that is brilliant. But ... I'm sorry, I'm just not getting this latest shtick. Singing standards straight, but poorly. Not like horrible karaoke guy poorly, but still poorly. What am I missing? Is this like people paying to see Bob Dylan sing Frank Sinatra?

If you were there and this is your only takeaway, well, I dont know what to tell ya.

It was so, so much more.

If you were there and this is your only takeaway, well, I dont know what to tell ya.

It was so, so much more.

Nope, I wasn't there, but I saw a profile of Murray talking about this tour with excerpts of the performances. I just have to say that some people would pay to watch Bill Murray go through a series of farts and burps for 90 minutes ... and yes, people do pay good money to watch Dylan butcher Sinatra too.

Nope, I wasn't there, but I saw a profile of Murray talking about this tour with excerpts of the performances. I just have to say that some people would pay to watch Bill Murray go through a series of farts and burps for 90 minutes ... and yes, people do pay good money to watch Dylan butcher Sinatra too.

Dylan doesn't really sing Sinatra songs does he?

Believe he was under the impression that the role was for an entirely different movie (maybe one involving that president?) when he accepted it.

Gotta love a picture of one of my favorite people of all time wearing a Bills hat.

I think the deal is he saw Joel Cohen was attached as the write and he thought it was Joel Coen (of the Coen bros) but I think he knew it was a Garfield movie.

Found it:

http://www.vulture.com/2010/07/bill_murray_only_did_garfield.html

No! I didn't make that for the dough! Well, not completely. I thought it would be kind of fun, because doing a voice is challenging, and I'd never done that. Plus, I looked at the script, and it said, "So-and-so and Joel Coen." And I thought: Christ, well, I love those Coens! They're funny. So I sorta read a few pages of it and thought, Yeah, I'd like to do that.

And I said, "Okay, you better show me the rest of the movie, so we can see what we're dealing with." So I sat down and watched the whole thing, and I kept saying, "Who the hell cut this thing? Who did this? What the !@#$ was Coen thinking?" And then they explained it to me: It wasn't written by that Joel Coen.

Awesome.

Bill freakin' Murray

Dylan doesn't really sing Sinatra songs does he?

Not much of what Dylan has done can be classified as singing imo. Saw him at CMAC about 10 years ago (just to have seen him), and wow... so, so bad.

If you want to hear what he's like when he actually sings, it's surprisingly good. Check out Dylan singing "Girl from the North Country" with Johnny Cash https://youtu.be/dyN-ya3rCPwnevermind the video is a scene from some chick flick.

Awesome.

Bill freakin' Murray

Not much of what Dylan has done can be classified as singing imo. Saw him at CMAC about 10 years ago (just to have seen him), and wow... so, so bad.

If you want to hear what he's like when he actually sings, it's surprisingly good. Check out Dylan singing "Girl from the North Country" with Johnny Cash https://youtu.be/dyN-ya3rCPwnevermind the video is a scene from some chick flick.

Agreed. Dylan always had that, umm, unorthodox nasal tone, but on some occasions - when he was younger, when he was trying - it worked perfectly. And you really should listen to a couple songs from the recent "Dylan Sings Standards" albums. Mostly bad reviews, but amazingly some people (even professional music writers) like it - a true Emperor's New Clothes hero worship phenomenon. Scores an 80 on Metacritic! http://www.metacritic.com/music/triplicate/bob-dylan

On Murray: I saw a longer performance on CBS Saturday Morning yesterday. I kind of get it now, but it also has a kind of depressing "farewell tour" feel to it ... and looking quickly at a couple Dylan singing Sinatra reviews, it looks like people get the same vibe from that.