Watkins trade, Dawkins over Glenn, Ducasse/Miller = McEgo

BADOLBILZ

Wow, what an uncanny eye for running a NFL franchise you have. Five games in and you got it all figured out. Either that or you have an internal conflict with clapping coaches, which is to say, all coaches. I hope you find some peace in the weeks ahead.

Sarcasm dude, sarcasm.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct. And for those talking about the PI call - if Atlanta had just run up the gut on 4th and 1 against our 10 man defense, we could very well be 2-3 right now and all hell would be breaking loose in and around OBD.

McBeane has proven nothing. They've simplified the defense and replaced Corey Graham's corpse with two good safeties. In the meantime they've alienated just about every talented player on the roster, and have taken a top-10 offense and replaced it with something from before the Era of the Forward Pass.

:lol: :lol:

Nice.

Has there ever been a time when NoSaint, bandit and BADOL all agreed on something and it didn't be ended up coming true?

Probably the most damning TBD indictment possible, IMO.

Yeah I think a lot of people just felt this was a bad team so they feel like 3-2 was some kind of miracle.........it wasn't.......the team McD inherited was plenty talented......they lost some players but made some good moves in the secondary in FA and the draft.........I really liked Hyde and 3D......but since the MG tender failure they've made what looks like a few overconfident moves and non-moves to address obvious issues.

I think the early success may have emboldened McD wrt Dareus.......and possibly Glenn if the speculation is true. I don't think he dared healthy-sit those guys until the team played a few good games. But the early season can be fools gold........you can't fall in love with those results.

The idea that Watkins, Dareus and Glenn could all be gone in a matter of months........that's awfully reminiscent of what Chip Kelly did.....perhaps even MORE aggressive....and McD is benefitting some from the oppositions unfamilarity with his scheme and this personnel.........once the tape piles up, the Jimmy's and Joe's matter a lot more.

Yeah I think a lot of people just felt this was a bad team so they feel like 3-2 was some kind of miracle.........it wasn't.......the team McD inherited was plenty talented......they lost some players but made some good moves in the secondary in FA and the draft.........I really liked Hyde and 3D......but since the MG tender failure they've made what looks like a few overconfident moves and non-moves to address obvious issues.

I think the early success may have emboldened McD wrt Dareus.......and possibly Glenn if the speculation is true. I don't think he dared healthy-sit those guys until the team played a few good games. But the early season can be fools gold........you can't fall in love with those results.

The idea that Watkins, Dareus and Glenn could all be gone in a matter of months........that's awfully reminiscent of what Chip Kelly did.....perhaps even MORE aggressive....and McD is benefitting some from the oppositions unfamilarity with his scheme and this personnel.........once the tape piles up, the Jimmy's and Joe's matter a lot more.

If Dareus is dealt sooner rather than later it won't be because McDermott has a grudge against him. It will be because of Dareus's lack of commitment and work ethic. You don't think that McDermott would embrace him as a player if he played at the same high level he played at when he was playing for a contract?

You and I disagree on the Watkins departure. I suspect that the new staff was less than enamored with his attitude, as were his teammates. So it's not surprising that when you are starting over you are more inclined to start fresh than stay with the old remnants of the roster you are taking over.

Where you and I have an irreconcilable difference in perspective is that I believe the Bills are rebuilding while you seem to believe that this team was more advanced than I do. My belief is that the wrestling coach convinced the owner/s that this roster was not built smartly and that it needed a major overhaul from a talent standpoint and cap distribution standpoint. From what I have observed the actions of the staff are following that take.

My view of the situation is more optimistic than many others. In one offseason the defense was significantly remade and is now functionally well. The team has made a number of deals to acquire picks so the next draft should bring in an infusion of talent, assuming the draft is handled well. Because of the acquisition of additional picks this franchise should be in a good position to draft a high end prospect, something that you have advocated for a long time. That is the key for success!

Was just about to post this :lol:

Entirely new personnel is the key. There was very little tape on what the Bills were going to do with THAT personnel........which is one of the main reasons they didn't actually show ANYTHING in the preseason.

I think the Panthers were much more concerned about McD's familiarity with their gameplan because he knows the personnel and Shula's tendency. They felt they had to change all their signals etc.. Big advantage Bills.

Dennison probably had the advantage in the Denver game too because he knows the weaknesses of that defensive personnel even if he didn't know their new defense.

And it's just a reality.....once you get into the season teams do not have much time to gameplan and they aren't going to be digging real deep into old tape of Carolina and Denver to figure out what the Bills might do because the personnel is entirely different.

To EMPHASIZE the extreme value of starting fresh in the NFL.........just take a look at QB's.

How many times was Fitz figured out.........then went to a new team and it was as if no opponent remembered his weaknesses for the better part of a season?

Flute was boxed in by defenses in his last two years in Buffalo........then went to SD and enjoyed a brief renaissance as teams acted like they now had no idea how to defense the guy.

By November, tendencies are very well determined.........and it's not entirely a coincidence that the Bills traditionally struggle and fall to pieces in the middle of the season.

I agree. The injury bug hurts you in more than just losing your starting players. The players that replace them don't always play as smart and cost you with dumb penalties. Mabin's pass interference penalty was huge...as was Logan's offensive holding that negated a 44 yard run by McCoy.

Not to mention Mabin not containing the edge on the TD run by Mixon

I dont know about all of that. However I do feel McD has a big ego. Just from all the interviews he has done IMO

choose your poison, do you want an ego driven guy like McD or Belichick where it's their way or the highway, or a milktoast like Jauron for whom winning in the NFL is "really hard" .

sure I'd like to have Roman's offense back, but NFL HCs pick their staff, Roman quickly had a job and Rico was the best guy available it appears at the time. Roman got blown up bc Rex got blown up. I wanted Lynn as HC , Roman as OC and a 4-3 guy like Frazier or Schwartz as the new DC. But it didn't work out that way, Rex fired Roman before Pegs had a chance to fire Rex. It all goes back to Pegs, who should have hired a real football guy as a decision making GM who could have seen that Roman knew offense but Rex did not know defense anymore. But that didn't happen. Rex snowed Pegs , got the power, smartly hired Roman but foolishly installed his obsolete defense. Is what it is. Move on. Rico was likely not McD's first or second choice, but as a new HC his pickings were pretty slim at the time.

You think the Panthers and Falcons are unfamiliar with McDermott's scheme?

Let's not forget that the Bills beat the Falcons because they were gifted a TD through an astonshingly bad call--laughably bad, the likes of which I haven't seen in a long time (perhaps the GB dual possession "INT" or the Calvin Johnson non-TD for Detroit). Without that call, the Bills likely don't win.

I don't get the sense that McD has a huge ego. When you're competing at the level he's at, you need to have some kind of ego, otherwise you're not going to instill any sort of confidence in your team.

I haven't been fond of all the personnel decisions they've made. It's clear that McD uses competition to motivate his players. He consistently says he expects all players to be competing for their position at all times. Players that can't buy into that aren't going to be here. Does that mean Sammy was that type of player? I don't think so. He always came across like a competitor and a guy who wanted to win. But, he also wanted to get paid, and he knew Buffalo wasn't going to go past a certain limit, Buffalo knew their offer wasn't going to be good enough so they sent him off while they could get something in return. That's the nature of the business sometimes. Darby wasn't a fit for the system, along with some other guys.

My only concern is that I hope Team McBeane don't pass over talented players because they don't sense the proper level of motivation or competition from them. Those things can be developed with strong leadership in the locker room. I just don't want to see them constantly choose character and intangiables over athletic talent. Teams need a healthy mix of both kinds of players. And if any coach or GM thinks they can build an entire team solely of "their kind" of players, I think they're mistaken. That'd be asking for a near perfect situation and that doesn't happen anywhere, let alone football.

I feel it's going to be an interesting season. I think they're going to be close/competitive in most games. I think they'll surprise us with a couple more solid wins over good teams. But I also think injuries and the lack of depth may cost them some games against teams they should probably beat.

The off-season will be very interesting. I'm interested to see what their draft and free agency strategy will be.

Let's not forget that the Bills beat the Falcons because they were gifted a TD through an astonshingly bad call--laughably bad, the likes of which I haven't seen in a long time (perhaps the GB dual possession "INT" or the Calvin Johnson non-TD for Detroit). Without that call, the Bills likely don't win.

So, Hugh's beating his man, while clawing at the QBs arm, resulting in chaos all over the joint.....was a "gifted TD" for the Bills? Hugh's wreaked havoc on that play, he caused massive disruption.....the rest is history. That TD was the result of talent, determination, and grit...and was well earned.

Edited by reginald

It wasn't a bad call. Hughes knocked the ball loose. Just because Ryan was able to push the ball forward in desperation doesn't mean he "regained possession". My dog would have a better grip and as much possession when throwing a football. It was a fumble.

Edited by Wayne Arnold

why in the world are some people trying so hard to discount the wins?