Watkins trade, Dawkins over Glenn, Ducasse/Miller = McEgo

BADOLBILZ

Chip Kelly won 10 games in each of his first two seasons with Philly.........after taking over a team that the esteemed Andy Reid had taken to the tank.

He did a tremendous job installing his system and his "process"..........but he got carried away with finding "his" guys......cut star performers Desean Jackson and Evan Mathis and traded the devil he knew in McCoy and went the free agent route at RB.........and a ton of excellent work went to waste.

I think McD is making similarly ego driven mistakes..........he thinks he's being all about team, but he's being all about McD and calling it "team"..........he is running the risk of undermining a lot of the good things he's done by dumping legitimately star talent under the misguided belief that he can coach-up more grateful-to-just-be-here personnel.

As Chip Kelly found out......teams adjust to your X's and O's........and then it's about the Jimmy's and Joe's and if you can't win matchups you will start losing games.

It would behoove McD to start figuring out how to get guys like Dareus and Glenn, and even the average John Miller, excited about the project rather than alienate them.........if they are cut the odds of the situation at those positions turning into the debacle that trading Watkins has made of the WR corps(and subsequently the offensive identity and effectiveness) are high.

I started this thread because McD is trying to take credit for having some rookies playing regularly..........as if it doesn't matter if they stink and that playing them somehow guarantees future success for them..........seemingly blissful to the fact that Zay Jones has been tragic and Dawkins is struggling mightily and proving very costly to the Bills in starting roles.

The only indicator that a rookie will turn into a better player is if they are playing very well as a rookie.......just being out there or playing to some adjusted curve is how you get the misguided belief that a guy like Brandon Spoon is the answer to your LB woes.

Well Said

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one thing thst irked me was losing that RB williams kid at the end of pre season. Wish he were here still. Can only assume it was personality or something cause he was fun to watch amd sure helped make up for the loss of gillislee who was great.

I think the Williams situation is he was a younger player that couldn't play on Special Teams and one thing in looking at roster is we like depth guys that can play teams. See the guys they added like Andre Holmes, Taiwan Jones, etc all play ST.

And so after 5 games you have McD all figured out? It's clear he's coaching for the long term. BB has a dozen-plus years body of work to review.

They had him figured out by the first quarter of the third preseason game.

His ego. His cockiness. His clapping. It was very clear to a select few.

The only thing they haven't figured out is why they're all smart enough to figure this out, but are still unable to put these smarts to work as an NFL head coach.

Daures has nothing to do with Ego. He got a big contract and has no been the same player since. I think the defense change hurt him. He put on weight and had to be space eater. His disruptive ability seems to be in the past. Sure he got the sack on Dalton but that was more a coverage and pressure around the edge forced him up in the pocket. Will Daures be worth paying more that JJ watt and Gerald MCcoy? I dont think so. Both of those guys are faces of their franchise and leaders of the team. You pay the guys the Max deals who are not only talented but also the back bone of the franchise. I do not see them being able to package Darues. Maybe a Rb and future pick. Reason I say running back that is a rare position that could make an impact after the bye Wr seems unrealistic.

Edited by Mat68

If you hate the coach so much, why not find another team to root for. McDermott is our coach and from what I have seen thus far is a marked improvement over what we have had in the past. We will eventually have players with talent who also understand the level of commitment that it takes to win. I have seen absolutely zero evidence that his "ego" has anything to do with any decisions that he has made thus far. He is not Chip Kelley. Personality wise, they are in fact polar opposites. Some people on this board will always find something to complain about, but how about giving this guy at least a full season before you start complaining. After five games, we have seen evidence that we are headed in the right direction. Let's let the rest of the season play out before we start coming to conclusions about whether or not he will be successful in his approach.

You need to take off those rose colored micky-d glasses. When you get rid young players while keeping older lack of talent players Tolbert, Duucasse , Holmes we know how the season is going to turn out..... You know we had 8-9 men in the box for the past two years we still rank #1 in league in running what changed ? Regime thought that Groy , Miller was no longer viable as guards on the number 1 rushing unit. How is Dawkins & Duucasse holding up ? they couldn't run to save their lives. He is chip Kelly light

Chip Kelly won 10 games in each of his first two seasons with Philly.........after taking over a team that the esteemed Andy Reid had taken to the tank.

He did a tremendous job installing his system and his "process"..........but he got carried away with finding "his" guys......cut star performers Desean Jackson and Evan Mathis and traded the devil he knew in McCoy and went the free agent route at RB.........and a ton of excellent work went to waste.

I think McD is making similarly ego driven mistakes..........he thinks he's being all about team, but he's being all about McD and calling it "team"..........he is running the risk of undermining a lot of the good things he's done by dumping legitimately star talent under the misguided belief that he can coach-up more grateful-to-just-be-here personnel.

As Chip Kelly found out......teams adjust to your X's and O's........and then it's about the Jimmy's and Joe's and if you can't win matchups you will start losing games.

It would behoove McD to start figuring out how to get guys like Dareus and Glenn, and even the average John Miller, excited about the project rather than alienate them.........if they are cut the odds of the situation at those positions turning into the debacle that trading Watkins has made of the WR corps(and subsequently the offensive identity and effectiveness) are high.

I started this thread because McD is trying to take credit for having some rookies playing regularly..........as if it doesn't matter if they stink and that playing them somehow guarantees future success for them..........seemingly blissful to the fact that Zay Jones has been tragic and Dawkins is struggling mightily and proving very costly to the Bills in starting roles.

The only indicator that a rookie will turn into a better player is if they are playing very well as a rookie.......just being out there or playing to some adjusted curve is how you get the misguided belief that a guy like Brandon Spoon is the answer to your LB woes.

Yikes, BADOL, so many unfounded assumptions here.

McD is alienating Glenn and Miller? McD is blind to the struggles of Zay Jones? McD is letting his ego interfere with sound judgment?

McD is only 5 games into his tenure. Give him a chance.

Some basic facts about the guys dealt away or cut:

Sammy - Always hurt, when somewhat healthy was having agent call GM and coach about lack of targets. Not committed to off-season workouts while a Bill. Wasn't going to stay here and wasn't worth franchising IMHO.

Jonathan Williams - Had an Arrest (subsequently found not guilty of DWI) while a Bill. Pass blocking, receiving skills and Value as STer questionable.

Darby - Man scheme only CB with "poor" ball skills. Benched in 2015 by coach that drafted him.

Kevon Seymour - Man CB with poor ball skills in college (needed eye exams to correct) and questionable tackling skills.

The only thing they haven't figured out is why they're all smart enough to figure this out, but are still unable to put these smarts to work as an NFL head coach.

I love you sometimes (in the appropriate way of course)

Wow, what an uncanny eye for running a NFL franchise you have. Five games in and you got it all figured out. Either that or you have an internal conflict with clapping coaches, which is to say, all coaches. I hope you find some peace in the weeks ahead.

Jerry Sullivan, is that you? You sound an awful lot like him in this post.

The immediate impact that he has made on our defense has been a tremendously positive change. We may have taken some hits on offense, but the trend is upwards.

This team needs help in certain areas and will get it. Dareus has been and will continue to be a player that just will not change, and eventually his abhorrent salary cap number will go bye bye and we can pay offensive players with that cash.

Some basic facts about the guys dealt away or cut:

Sammy - Always hurt, when somewhat healthy was having agent call GM and coach about lack of targets. Not committed to off-season workouts while a Bill. Wasn't going to stay here and wasn't worth franchising IMHO.

Jonathan Williams - Had an Arrest (subsequently found not guilty of DWI) while a Bill. Pass blocking, receiving skills and Value as STer questionable.

Darby - Man scheme only CB with "poor" ball skills. Benched in 2015 by coach that drafted him.

Kevon Seymour - Man CB with poor ball skills in college (needed eye exams to correct) and questionable tackling skills.

You're obviously not understanding the thread. All of what you state is due to McD's ego - period. Get with the program and lose the rose colored Kool-aid...or what ever the McD-haters have decided anyone in the non-McD hater club does.

I don't think Glenn is healthy or he would be out there. Just my two. Ducasse over Miller though? Wtactualf is that about? Ducasse should not be in any starting lineup in America, or north of the border for that matter. Didn't like letting Watkins go, but the truth about his attitude is starting to trickle out and I really like Gaines. This I'm not as disappointed with that anymore. Megamind's ego? Maybe. Time will tell. The defense is better and Tyrod is better this year in a familiar system for him. I still don't like what Dennison has done with the offense though. It's almost like we have Hackett calling the ahots again.

McD seems to have a big ego imo. He sometimes appears to believe that he's the smartest guy in the room. He actually reminds me a little of Josh McDaniels with the Broncos. I was onboard with the Sammy trade, but there are too many other moves that make little sense to me. Keeping Glenn on the bench while overusing Tolbert demonstrates a coach who wants to outsmart the league. Often times the obvious answer is the correct one. Glenn and a real backup RB should be those obvious answers. I happen to see far too much McDaniels like individuality in McD.

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Wow, what an uncanny eye for running a NFL franchise you have. Five games in and you got it all figured out. Either that or you have an internal conflict with clapping coaches, which is to say, all coaches. I hope you find some peace in the weeks ahead.

It's sarcasm man

Listening to Joe B's podcast with Matthew Fairburn. Interestingly he said Ducasse was one of his highest rated OL this week and did a better job than John Miller had. Said Incognito struggled, Dawkins had a bad game but did some nice things, Mills was terrible. They intimated that Glenn could be getting moved to RT.

They also said that they think Dennison has adjusted more than they expected him to, and it's really come down to guys not winning their individual battles.

They also mentioned that Henderson has been a decent run blocker and looks healthy.

He sees Miller as a trade chip for a team with a different scheme because they think he should stay inactive (that bad).

Edited by YoloinOhio