Sammy Watkins complaining about targets again

Rigotz

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course he is. I didn't like the trade. But it is puzzling that he hasn't shown a ton in LA

It's still early.

People really underestimate the timing of the deal. He missed all of OTAs, over half of training camp, had to move not just cities but across the country. Then you add to that the blow his ego took by being traded - if Sammy is as sensitive as the haters claim (and he may be) that can't be understated. Add that all up and it's a big adjustment for anyone, let alone a diva WR in his 4th year in the league.

Football isn't basketball where you can go out with four new guys and still play your game. You need to be much more in synch with your teammates, especially when you're talking WR/QBs.

And yes, this can all be read as an excuse for his slow start - but I'd rather call it an explanation. Regardless, we're just 5 games into a 16 game season, for that reason I think it's too early for any real conclusions to be drawn.

The same people that went nuts over them draftingbhim to help EJ are all agog over the Rams getting him to help Goff. And EJ as a rookie looked better than Goff. It's revisionist history to claim otherwise.

I simply don't understand your EJ point. It makes no sense to me relative to Goff. Goff is an immensely better qb. As far as who out-performed who in their rookie year, who cares? It has little meaning.

The point with respect to Watkins whether he is with the Rams or the Bills is that without a good passing qb his talents will not be realized. Watkins joined the Rams very late. You may be writing him off as a player but I'm not. It's my belief that he will be an impactful player with Goff and the Rams while that would not be the case in Buffalo under the current qbing situation.

What is the average air distance traveled? And is Sammy getting open or not? I'll hang up and listen.

You don't make a statement with no evidence to prove it, then have some numbers thrown at yah then you dig deeper without doing any research on your own and ask for more to disprove your own CRAP.

Goff averages 7.1 CAY which is ahead of many good quarterbacks.

TT 5.5

Brees 6.4

Smith 6.1

Arod 7.1

Wilson 7.1

Dak 7.1

Brady 7.7

Wentz 7.7

Stafford 5.8

Newton 6.7

That's completed air yards. He also ranks very well in IAY, 9.1. That's average intended air yards.

You don't make a statement with no evidence to prove it, then have some numbers thrown at yah then you dig deeper without doing any research on your own and ask for more to disprove your own CRAP.

Goff averages 7.1 CAY which is ahead of many good quarterbacks.

TT 5.5

Brees 6.4

Smith 6.1

Arod 7.1

Wilson 7.1

Dak 7.1

Brady 7.7

Wentz 7.7

Stafford 5.8

Newton 6.7

That's completed air yards. He also ranks very well in IAY, 9.1. That's average intended air yards.

In honor of National Coming Out Day, can we - just for today - call his stats GAY? Goff's Air Yards.

You've been yelling the word "crap" at posters for a few days now - you seem to have a personality disorder of some kind, and it expresses itself in your posts.

Anyhow I ask again: is Sammy Watkins getting open, or not?

You've been yelling the word "crap" at posters for a few days now - you seem to have a personality disorder of some kind, and it expresses itself in your posts.

Anyhow I ask again: is Sammy Watkins getting open, or not?

A personal shot because you are off being foolish, that's nice. I won't stoop down to that nonsense. You know why I replied the way I did. You got the numbers, you were wrong no hard feelings. Keep the insults to yourself.

If someone posts a random "rumor" of Malcolm Jenkins being in Buffalo taking a physical prior to a trade being announced and on a day where he is actually with his team

Because they play Thursday night it's crap like it or not.

I simply don't understand your EJ point. It makes no sense to me relative to Goff. Goff is an immensely better qb. As far as who out-performed who in their rookie year, who cares? It has little meaning.

The point with respect to Watkins whether he is with the Rams or the Bills is that without a good passing qb his talents will not be realized. Watkins joined the Rams very late. You may be writing him off as a player but I'm not. It's my belief that he will be an impactful player with Goff and the Rams while that would not be the case in Buffalo under the current qbing situation.

The point is this. When Watkins was drafted EJ had just completed his rookie year. And Whaley drafted him to give his young WB a great receiver to rely on. And fans went nuts about what a dumb move it was. And this after a reasonable rookie year for EJ.

Now fast forward 5 years or so. The Rams bring on the exact same guy in Sammy to help another young QB, who had arguably a worse rookie year than EJ. And some of the same folks that blasted the Bills for the move praise the exact same move by the Rams.

Nothing justifies giving up on a route. I never claimed otherwise. But it happens... to more than just Sammy.

Disagree. The only question other teams had about Watkins - and I'm basing this on what I've heard from actual people in the league - was about his ability to remain healthy. He hadn't played meaningful snaps in months and had spent the off season fending off questions about his foot. Health concerns cratered his value, justifiably so.

I completely agree it was a risk to hold onto him. Had he been injured in the first 5 weeks, then my point is moot. But had the Bills hung onto him for the first five games, not only would they probably be sitting at 5-0, his value would be far higher than it was in early August.

The way you talk about this guy you'd think he was Jonathan Williams.

And as bad as this may be for the Bills, can you imagine how the poor suckers that drafted this guy in fantasy must feel right now?

A personal shot because you are off being foolish, that's nice. I won't stoop down to that nonsense. You know why I replied the way I did. You got the numbers, you were wrong no hard feelings. Keep the insults to yourself.

If someone posts a random "rumor" of Malcolm Jenkins being in Buffalo taking a physical prior to a trade being announced and on a day where he is actually with his team

Because they play Thursday night it's crap like it or not.

I asked a question about the numbers, I didnt posit them.

Is Watkins getting open or not? Can you answer that?

I asked a question about the numbers, I didnt posit them.

Is Watkins getting open or not? Can you answer that?

He is getting open. Waving his hand open at times even. Seems he's running the " clear out" routes to open up underneath stuff a lot in the Rams offense. Yes, I've watched their games. I don't know how many more catches he could have, but he absolutely should have more TDs.

He is getting open. Waving his hand open at times even. Seems he's running the " clear out" routes to open up underneath stuff a lot in the Rams offense. Yes, I've watched their games. I don't know how many more catches he could have, but he absolutely should have more TDs.

Yep an expensive decoy as Goff doesn't look that way, but he takes 1-2 defenders with him. Like the Bills seldom in motion or a pass to get YAC......

But Kupp is now a star......

I wonder if the Watkins fans even realize they are now in their 4th year of making excuses for the guy? Time flies when you are cherrypicking stats and pointing blame, huh?

Watkins had 2 solid years and 1 injured year. I am not sure what you mean? I don't need to defend him, he was great for us when he played. What's hilarious is you guys attacking him for 4 years because of an extra draft pick that wasn't his fault.

Yep an expensive decoy as Goff doesn't look that way, but he takes 1-2 defenders with him. Like the Bills seldom in motion or a pass to get YAC......

But Kupp is now a star......

Its interesting how "Watkins is average or isn't good" but these guys ignore the respect defenses give him.

Edited by What a Tuel

The point is this. When Watkins was drafted EJ had just completed his rookie year. And Whaley drafted him to give his young WB a great receiver to rely on. And fans went nuts about what a dumb move it was. And this after a reasonable rookie year for EJ.

Now fast forward 5 years or so. The Rams bring on the exact same guy in Sammy to help another young QB, who had arguably a worse rookie year than EJ. And some of the same folks that blasted the Bills for the move praise the exact same move by the Rams.

Do you know what the difference is between the two scenarios? Goff proved to be a qb who can accurately pass and play the position. I have no problem with the selection of Watkins even with giving up the extra first round pick. What makes that deal dumb is that there should have been an urgency to find a qb who could maximize the receiver's talents. EJ didn't work out. If there would have been a greater determination to find a franchise qb through the draft or on the market then the Watkins deal would in hindsight make more sense.

Please stop with the argument that EJ had a better rookie year than Goff. That means absolutely nothing. The Rams drafted Goff with the intention of not playing him his rookie year because they realized that coming from the college program he came from he simply wasn't going to be ready. They were forced to play him his rookie year. He was overwhelmed. The next year with an offseason of preparation, an upgrading of the OL and receiver corps and with better coaching he is demonstrating that he was well worth the cost to draft him.

I have no problem with the trading of Watkins. As it turned out there was a number of reasons why he was dealt. But for me getting rid of the receiver for a starting CB and second round pick made sense because as it stands with our qbing situation he was not going to be as productive as he could be.

There are many people who are already coming to the conclusion that Watkins isn't as good as many thought. My view is the opposite. Although he is not currently a prominent player on offense I believe his contributions are going to increase as the season advances.

Welcome to TBD

Do you know what the difference is between the two scenarios? Goff proved to be a qb who can accurately pass and play the position. I have no problem with the selection of Watkins even with giving up the extra first round pick. What makes that deal dumb is that there should have been an urgency to find a qb who could maximize the receiver's talents. EJ didn't work out. If there would have been a greater determination to find a franchise qb through the draft or on the market then the Watkins deal would in hindsight make more sense.

Please stop with the argument that EJ had a better rookie year than Goff. That means absolutely nothing. The Rams drafted Goff with the intention of not playing him his rookie year because they realized that coming from the college program he came from he simply wasn't going to be ready. They were forced to play him his rookie year. He was overwhelmed. The next year with an offseason of preparation, an upgrading of the OL and receiver corps and with better coaching he is demonstrating that he was well worth the cost to draft him.

I have no problem with the trading of Watkins. As it turned out there was a number of reasons why he was dealt. But for me getting rid of the receiver for a starting CB and second round pick made sense because as it stands with our qbing situation he was not going to be as productive as he could be.

There are many people who are already coming to the conclusion that Watkins isn't as good as many thought. My view is the opposite. Although he is not currently a prominent player on offense I believe his contributions are going to increase as the season advances.

You keep wanting to revise history. LA had no intention of playing Goff? Neither did the Bills until the famous rubber mat incident. And sorry but EJ did look better his rookie year than Goff did.

We agree that drafting Watkins was OK. We disagree on what to compare. I am simply comparing what two teams did to help out QBs after their rookie years. Using the same guy. And while you may not be one of them, there are plenty of folks who raked the Bills over the coals for them getting Watkins, who now magically think it was smart for the Rams to get him.

Goff looks better for sure. Time will tell how much. But it seems that may be due to more effective coaching, and other WRs like Cupp vs. Sammy. It'll be interesting to see how it progresses. But if Sammy doesn't start showing more he's going to lose a lot of money.