Do you believe the Bills are a playoff team in 2017?

Yes, if . . .

• Clay, Glenn, and Matthews come back relatively healthy
  • We can beat New England at least once
  • Zay Jones shakes of the rookie blues
  • We stay somewhat healthy the rest of the season--key players
  • They settle the offensive line--the inconsistency there is hurting
  • Tyrod Taylor is more intentionally utilized in the run game--He is not a drop-back passer, don't try to make him one, he is much more effective on the move
  • McDermott gets over his stubbornness and plays Dareus the amount of time he should be playing--same with Miller

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills have emerged from the toughest part of their schedule 3-2 and tied for first place in the AFCE, with the bye week coming up. There has been a massive overreaction to the Bengals loss, where admittedly the offense played poorly, albeit on the road against a very good defense.

The schedule gets much softer from here, and the defense and special teams have been consistently excellent. I say the Bills are a playoff team this year, but it might not be pretty.

The odds are heavily stacked against them.

Obviously the division is off-limits as long as Brady doesn't tear an ACL.

The Wild Card will require 10-11 wins. In order to win 10-11 games, the following must happen:

(1) The defense's key performers - Hughes, KWill, Lawson, Brown, Lorax, White, Poyer and Hyde - must remain healthy

(2) The OLine must start geting better with the new blocking scheme ASAP and maintain that improvement through the season

(3) Jordan Matthews must get back within the next 2-3 games and stay healthy through Week 17

(4) Shady must stay healthy

(5) Charles Clay must get back within the next 4-5 games and stay healthy through Week 17

(6) The light must go on for Zay "Hands of Stones" Jones

(7) Tyrod Taylor must start trusting all of his receivers and himself and stop holding onto the ball for so long

(8) Dennison must implement the read-option OR turn to Peterman if Taylor can't get the job done

(9) If Peterman starts, he must be better than his draft position

If all of these things happen, I can see the team winning 10-11 games and sneaking into the playoffs for a one-and-done appearance.

Otherwise, it won't.

• McDermott gets over his stubbornness and plays Dareus the amount of time he should be playing--same with Miller

:lol: Yeah, McDermott is the stubborn one in the wrong here.

Maybe Dareus should get his fat butt motivated and earn more playing time.

And Miller has been terrible.

The Bills are playing twice as well as I expected them to, and this includes Tyrod, especially under the circumstances (poor receivers).

My guess would still be no playoffs. Their offense looks to be shot and there is no reason not to expect defensive injuries. I don't expect them to be deep enough to weather a storm.

Still, it is more fun to watch them than it has been in years. I knew Rex was horrible. I knew he was the worst coach in the league. Whaley was another disaster and it is now clear to me that they were doing WAY more damage than even I thought. Is there anybody here who does not think that McDermott is a complete upgrade over what we had?

For the first time in TOO many years, I think that the Bills will soon be a playoff team. Not necessarily this season but soon.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, if . . .

• Tyrod Taylor is more intentionally utilized in the run game--He is not a drop-back passer, don't try to make him one, he is much more effective on the move

Good list.....

Yes, if . . .

in other words

Put the Leash back on him?

The odds are heavily stacked against them.

Obviously the division is off-limits as long as Brady doesn't tear an ACL.

The Wild Card will require 10-11 wins. In order to win 10-11 games, the following must happen:

(1) The defense's key performers - Hughes, KWill, Lawson, Brown, Lorax, White, Poyer and Hyde - must remain healthy

(2) The OLine must start geting better with the new blocking scheme ASAP and maintain that improvement through the season

(3) Jordan Matthews must get back within the next 2-3 games and stay healthy through Week 17

(4) Shady must stay healthy

(5) Charles Clay must get back within the next 4-5 games and stay healthy through Week 17

(6) The light must go on for Zay "Hands of Stones" Jones

(7) Tyrod Taylor must start trusting all of his receivers and himself and stop holding onto the ball for so long

(8) Dennison must implement the read-option OR turn to Peterman if Taylor can't get the job done

(9) If Peterman starts, he must be better than his draft position

If all of these things happen, I can see the team winning 10-11 games and sneaking into the playoffs for a one-and-done appearance.

Otherwise, it won't.

Herein lines the problem though, and as the cardinal rule says...if your team has more than 3 major questions before/during the season you likely are not a playoff team.

In this case there is more than a handful of a major question marks and concerns and I don't think there's much we can do to address all of these barring a flurry of in season roster moves via trade/street FA signings.

In the end this team is likely destined for another 8-8 type of finish.

No, they are not a playoff team. They cannot keep up the turnover differential they have enjoyed so far this season, and their offense is terrible. The defense will also not be giving up under 15 points per game. Seven wins tops, probably fewer.

Edited by Dr. K

Unless they are the 86 Chiefs, who went 10-6 and made the playoffs with a historically bad offense..,........,...

there is no doubt this Bills team will be a 6-7 win team with this offense.

Defense is good, ST is above average, offense is one of the worst in team history.

Just being honest.

You can't get consistently outgained, yardage wise, by your opponents and expect to be a contender. Ever since the Jets game, the Bills have been badly outplayed by their opponents from scrimmage. While it's no big deal to get outgained in an individual game, but to have it done week after week, no matter whom the opposition is, is very telling, in a bad way.

Unless they are the 86 Chiefs, who went 10-6 and made the playoffs with a historically bad offense..,........,...

Defense is good, ST is above average, offense is one of the worst in team history.

Just being honest.

You can't get consistently outgained, yardage wise, by your opponents and expect to be a contender. Ever since the Jets game, the Bills have been badly outplayed by their opponents from scrimmage. While it's no big deal to get outgained in an individual game, but to have it done week after week, no matter whom the opposition is, is very telling, in a bad way.

We haven't even gotten above 300 yards total offense since week 1. That's unbelievable to me.

Playoff contender, yes. We have a playoff caliber defense, a running back who is still elite, a winnable schedule, and we have already beaten a team we most likely will be competing with in the wild card race (Denver). Throw in New England's struggles on defense and the playoffs are very much a possibility. While every game is important I think the next few games against Tampa, Oakland, NY Jets, and New Orleans are very crucial.

Just being honest.

Yards are not important. Ask anyone.

Yards are not important. Ask anyone.

That is correct........ on an individual game basis.

But the Bills get outgained consistently...... and substantially.

If you look at teams that give up a lot more yards then they get during the course of a long season, they usually are not a good team. With a few exceptions, of course.

That is correct........ on an individual game basis.

But the Bills get outgained consistently...... and substantially.

If you look at teams that give up a lot more yards then they get during the course of a long season, they usually are not a good team. With a few exceptions, of course.

I was being facetious. I know people don't like raw yardage statistics, but I think they're instructive when viewed through a certain lens. There are certainly trends and conclusions that can be drawn when you use yards to inform what you watch on the field.

I was being facetious. I know people don't like raw yardage statistics, but I think they're instructive when viewed through a certain lens. There are certainly trends and conclusions that can be drawn when you use yards to inform what you watch on the field.

I hope McDermott understands this, cause Jauron-ball doesn't work over the entirety of the season.

Problem is, they don't have the offensive talent to get away from Jauron-ball.

Bend but don't break on defense can work if you have an offense that can help you out. When you don't have the offense, you get the Jauron-era results, 7-9.

Edited by njbuff

We haven't even gotten above 300 yards total offense since week 1. That's unbelievable to me.

We are lucky to even be 3-2 quite frankly which is why there is continued to debate regarding changing QBs, oline shuffling, making trades/signing players, etc.

This offense truly is that bad and don't matter if the defense is truly good and keeps up their end of the bargain. The wins simply aren't going to be there regardless of the perceived strength or weakness of the remaining schedule.

No, they are not a playoff team. They cannot keep up the turnover differential they have enjoyed so far this season, and their offense is terrible. The defense will also not be giving up under 15 points per game. Seven wins tops, probably fewer.

There seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding of turnover stats. Some turnovers are largely luck-based, such as recovering fumbles; those tend to even out over time. (I would note, however, that the strip-sack fumble that Hughes forced against Atlanta was definitely earned.). Interceptions are different, and I would argue that they are usually the result of pressuring the passer, excellent coverage, good ball skills and, in Buffalo's case, a scheme designed to force throws into the middle of the field where imperfectly thrown balls are more likely to be batted into the air and picked off. There is no reason to believe that the Bills' favorable turnover ratio this season is based more on luck than on a combination of skill and design. Edited by mannc

This team has a championship calibre defense. Unfortunately the offense couldn't get much worse. If the offense does better down the stretch they make the playoffs. If not then they don't.

Losing Clay and Mathews for a month or more is a huge blow to an already weak offense.