A few thoughts about the Bengals Game in no particular order

Virgil

On a micro level, what I saw today was this: the Bengals lost a bunch of their secondary to injuries during the second quarter and the Bills tried to capitalize by running 4- and 5-WR sets. They actually moved the ball fairly well during this point of the game, but then abandoned it once some of the injured Bengals came back in during the second half.

On a macro level, two things: (i) part of the "process" this year - like it or not - is figuring out whether Tyrod can become a complete QB, which he has never been asked to do. They are giving him the chance to stay in the pocket and sustain drives. Last week he mostly succeeded; this week he flopped. It's not going to be linear. I wasn't a fan of throwing away ANOTHER season just so that McBean can evaluate its roster, but Terry let them do it, I guess, so that's where we are - this is the process. We'll know in a month or two what we've got. But also, (ii) when you live by playing defense and field goals, you also die by playing defense and field goals. This was a close, physical game decided by a few big plays: Tre loses leverage and focus on the deep pass, Mabin needlessly tugs a jersey and then loses contain, Dawkins gets flagged for phantom holding. If your strategy is to play it close, settle for field goals and try to eke out a win (Jauron Ball), you're going to lose a few close games like this, just as you'll win a few close games. It is what it is, as Aristotle said.

I agree.

....great write up Virgil and a very telling question.....much has been made about TT's passing game or lack thereof at TBD..,...often wonder if WR's are "uninspired" because they are not confident they'll see the ball any time soon.....or their QB will see them in his progressions.......

..."Are the WR's in capable of getting open or are they running uninspired routes due to the scheme? "

Our Wide Receivers are utterly horrendous.

Zay Jones doesn't look like he should have been drafted. He's slow, can't separate, and doesn't appear to be able to catch the football when it is thrown his way.

Holmes is a fringe NFL player. No one else belongs on the field when we're on offense.

The Bills have no one to throw to. No one who can get open.

Jones is separating....he's just dropping it a lot. How is he dropping easy catches if he's not separating at all?

Jones is separating....he's just dropping it a lot. How is he dropping easy catches if he's not separating at all?

.....kid is making himself a head case and overplaying it......forget about yesterday and catch a ton tomorrow.....can't undo the drops lad.............

What Bills' receiver who played today is worthy of the trust that Dalton has in AJ Green?

On the second last play Taylor had no trust in an open WR, on the last play he threw it to a guy blanketed by 2 defenders with a safety overtop.

Yeah the WRs arent big name proven players, but its decisions like these that make them look worse then it really is.

Taylor holds on to the ball too long, he hesitates with his decisions and throws a lot of inaccurate passes down field. He hardly ever throws a guy open and stands in the pocket waiting for somebody to get completely open or he checks down to the safe throw. Three years, three OC, numerous WRs and the same result in the passing game. Taylor has been the one constant factor this whole time. You cant keep blaming everybody else when Tyrod HAS NOT proven he can do it either. Is it 1-12 when he throws over 30 times now? How many wins does he have when our D gives up over 20 points? How many times have we been in close games and he cant move the ball down the field in the closing minutes?

Yesterday our D had 3 turnovers, 2 of them had good returns and set up great field position. We had a punt returned inside the Bengals redzone. 16 points is unacceptable.

One of the biggest risks in Beane fashioning the current 'win today, build for the future' roster is that you might be able to field a decent/competitive level team for starting players, but injuries really quickly decimate the talent level on the field due to lack of depth - that is what they were dealing with yesterday.

Right now Zay is like the NFL WR version of Mackey Sasser.

Reall enjoyed the late throw and then airmailed throw on the Logan Thomas Whip route. But no seperation there (should have been 7) settled for FG.

I thought Thomas should've broken off his route a bit there to go towards the end zone... which kind of drove the hesitation. JMO on that one.

Other than that, I think it's Tyrods job because the team seems to believe in him. If he get's hurt and NP rallies them then great - but i don't think benching the starting QB when everyone around him is also not playing particularly well sets a good precedent.

If we're out of it, or this is the start of an extended slide, then obviously things can change.

Edited by dneveu

I thought Thomas should've broken off his route a bit there to go towards the end zone... which kind of drove the hesitation. JMO on that one.

Other than that, I think it's Tyrods job because the team seems to believe in him. If he get's hurt and NP rallies them then great - but i don't think benching the starting QB when everyone around him is also not playing particularly well sets a good precedent.

If we're out of it, or this is the start of an extended slide, then obviously things can change.

Everyone around him plays bad because of him. Remeber, everyone that says TT has no weapons, that Sammy had to publicly say he was not getting thrown the ball and wanted it more. If you have such a SUPERSTAR WR and he has to ASK for the ball to be thrown his way then the QB is not the right guy.

it's obvious we have talent on the O-line as seen from the past two years. Simply put, they are not being utilized right, or something else has gone wrong with them. To say they are not talented, though, is silly.

Shceme, scheme, scheme.

Lynn schemes and calls plays that lead a similar offense to scoring more points than the 1990 Bills did. Dennison and castillo come in and change it to the garbage we see now. We can win with the roster if they scheme and call the right plays. They arent doing that, and when they do, the players arent making plays. Its all relative. If we still had Lynn at OC, wed be 5-0.

Thomas should have extended the route once TT pointed him to do it, but it all starts because TT doesnt throw the whip route one time (which there eas alot of seperation) ans an on time and accurate throw and Thomas likely makes an easy 1st down a TD.

That was a classic Whip Route. Which was run to get the 1st.

Instead QB holds the ball and it turns into an ugly incompletion.

Edited by MAJBobby

Everyone around him plays bad because of him. Remeber, everyone that says TT has no weapons, that Sammy had to publicly say he was not getting thrown the ball and wanted it more. If you have such a SUPERSTAR WR and he has to ASK for the ball to be thrown his way then the QB is not the right guy.

i don't really understand how this relates to what I said

I agree with MAJBobby on just about everything he wrote in this thread. Everyone can keep defending Tyrod, but that is all just wishfull thinking.

Look, if you haven't figure out that Tyrod is not the answer then what have you been watching. I am really tired of hearing about the talent at other positions and this is why Tyrod doesn't succeed. A good QB can make the other players on the field better. Prime example for me goes way back to when Bledsoe was the QB in New England. That team looked terrible, everyone in NE was complaining about the offense line, but then Bledsoe gets hurt and in walks Brady and all of a sudden the o-line looks good. The WR's and RB's look good. Do you really think that their talent level got better because Brady came in. Do you think they were purposely playing bad to get rid of Bledsoe, no of course not. They were the same players with Bledsoe as they were with Brady,, but lo and behold they looked more talented with Brady.

Heck, take Hogan for an example. He looks like a decent NFL receiver in New England, did he look that good in Buffalo. Do you really think in the ride from Buffalo to Boston he all of a sudden got talented. NO OF COURSE NOT. The difference is that now he has a QB that can help make him look good.

Now I have no idea if Peterman is the answer, I expect that he is not. But I know for sure that Tyrod isn't the answer. I see no harm in letting Peterman start. This offense is terrible, do you really think they can get any worse with Peterman.

College Open or NFL Open

AJ Green couldnt gain seperation most of the game Dalton kept throwing to him.

Lol AJ Green does not need separation. All he needs is a jump ball because he is so fast and explosive. I am not too sure you want to give Andre Holmes 10-12 targets per game... Green is just an animal of a receiver

As i have stated previously, the Bills are really struggling with blocking in this outside zone concept...

If you watch the replays they are simply allowing guys coming free into the backfield without being touched...sometimes 2 or 3 players and McCoy has NO chance to do anything on those outside zone runs most of the time...they definitely need work over thr bye on those...their blocking has been atrocious in the outside run game in general...

This is what i was referring to in a post talking about the differences with zone blocking and man to man blocking...

Zone bloxking can be very effective but it takes a while to get it down and is like synchronized swimming...all players have to work in unison ot there are giant gaps defensive players can get through...

Id be interested in having someone chime in on the All-22 of this

Edited by matter2003

As i have stated previously, the Bills are really struggling with blocking in this outside zone concept...

If you watch the replays they are simply allowing guys coming free into the backfield without being touched...sometimes 2 or 3 players and McCoy has NO chance to do anything on those outside zone runs most of the time...they definitely need work over thr bye on those...their blocking has been atrocious in the outside run gsme in general

Or at least install some bread and butter plays from last year with their blocking scheme. It's crazy to be obstinate about staying 100% with the new scheme when it's not working

I attended the game Sunday and what I saw was a bad offensive line. They were getting dominated, there were holds on us and the Bengals were in the backfield before Lesean got the ball. LeSean is totally taking one for the team as well as Tyrod but the pass defense is actually somewhat passable at this point. Problem with the passing game is Tyrod is not a good enough quarterback to make Zay look good. I also find it interesting that people were complaining that Tyrod can't throw in the middle of the field last year and now he doesn't throw anything to the perimeter anymore. The Dbs were good but the first TD was dumb to not safety help. White slipped on a juke by Green and that was all he needed. They recovered from that but Green had a great game. A dry game would have hurt Green because he was quick on jukes, plant and run was a lot of what I saw. White did well but not elite unfortunately people don't see it they just see him giving up that long pass.

Edited by Billzgobowlin