Charles Clay injury - knee scope, out multiple weeks

YoloinOhio

It was an unnecessary and dirty hit. Clay was clearly out of bounds or about to be out of bounds and there was no need whatsoever to take out his knee like that. A shove would have forced him out just as effectively. The Bengals and their fans are a low class operation.

What do you expect when you have Burfict on your roster.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The helmet to the knee caused it...he caught the ball and ran a few yards.....seemed ok until the hit........if it was before i would think he would drop flat before that....especially a tear as being reported.....

The announcers were horrible on that hit, they couldn't decide how he hurt his knee! Umm how about open your eyeballs and watch the replay, he got a shot directly to the knee and his leg was planted. Horrendous commentary.

That hit wasn't far off the one the Bills laid on Boyd.

This is what happens when the league legislates out everything else...defenders try to do the only thing left, take out their legs...

Soon they will have to gently grab the flag from their lingerie.

These guys are so big, strong and fast injuries are just going to happen.

If you can't hit them high, you have to hit them low. The funny thing is most players I've heard say they rather get hit in the head than the knees. It just looked unfortunate to me. As for "almost OB", that's still in bounds, so you hit it. Sorry. It's football.

This idea that "you can't hit high so you have to go at a guys knees" is nonsense. What's not allowed today is going after a guy's head. That's leaves plenty of real estate available for a clean tackle. Frankly, I don't know if the tackle on Clay was against the rules and should have drawn a flag. (I would say "yes" because to me it was a textbook example of "unnecessary roughness".) The question posed by the OP was if it was a dirty play and it certainly was that. And just because a guy is still in the field of play does not mean anything goes. In my book, and probably the rule book too, taking a guy's knee out as he is running out of bounds is a dirty play and should draw a flag.

This idea that "you can't hit high so you have to go at a guys knees" is nonsense. What's not allowed today is going after a guy's head. That's leaves plenty of real estate available for a clean tackle. Frankly, I don't know if the tackle on Clay was against the rules and should have drawn a flag. (I would say "yes" because to me it was a textbook example of "unnecessary roughness".) The question posed by the OP was if it was a dirty play and it certainly was that. And just because a guy is still in the field of play does not mean anything goes. In my book, and probably the rule book too, taking a guy's knee out as he is running out of bounds is a dirty play and should draw a flag.

The rule book discusses legal and illegal, not questionable or dirty. Was it necessary? He could have just pushed him, but it's football. If we had been on defense and done the same thing, I'd stick up for our guy and say he was playing football. There's no way to know that his intent was.

Technically true, but irrelevant. We infer intent from peoples' actions all day, every day.

Sometimes it's much more clear than others. Back in the day I"m sure I had countless similar hits in football anad rugby, but never once was there intent to injure. This was not a Landry hit to the noggin'. THERE I saw intent.

Gronk takes a dozen of those every game.

Yeah mainly in the middle of the field, or he is still fighting for yards. Cly was clearly going to be out of bounds soon as his foot landed. A push if anything (and didn't have to do that) would have been obviously enough.

Yes, IMO it was dirty.

Wow. Some common sense.

So is IR next for Clay?

I seriously doubt that for meniscus and MCL, if what I heard is correct. Surgery for meniscus and MCL heals on it's own in 4-6 weeks, I think. If he were a scrub role player, I'd expect IR, but not considering our receiving options. I'm wrong a lot though. :)