Franchise QB vs Winning Season

TFBillsfan

What an exciting start out of the gate! However, if the Bills go 10-6 or 11-5, that puts them in a difficult position. Even with a stock of draft picks, there will be numerous teams ahead of us looking for a QB. Obviously the past 17 years has been frustrating but do you have any concerns if we make the playoffs how that could impact us long term at the QB position? At this point, you could list the following teams finishing with worse record looking for a QB:

Cleveland, Jets, AZ, San Fran, Miami, San Diego, Jax, Vikings and New Orleans

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we go 10-6 or better with TT, given the dearth of receiver talent on this squad, I'm betting the staff opts to keep TT a few more years, see how Peterman develops in the mean time or maybe pull the trigger on a good prospect if they fall to us over the next few drafts.

If we go 10-6 or better with TT, given the dearth of receiver talent on this squad, I'm betting the staff opts to keep TT a few more years, see how Peterman develops in the mean time or maybe pull the trigger on a good prospect if they fall to us over the next few drafts.

While I am still in the draft a qb at the right value spot camp.....if TT keeps this up and the team is winning I dont want to give up the farm to move up anymore

What an exciting start out of the gate! However, if the Bills go 10-6 or 11-5, that puts them in a difficult position. Even with a stock of draft picks, there will be numerous teams ahead of us looking for a QB. Obviously the past 17 years has been frustrating but do you have any concerns if we make the playoffs how that could impact us long term at the QB position? At this point, you could list the following teams finishing with worse record looking for a QB:

No. Recent years it seems the some of the guys who turn out OK fall down in the draft a bit.

I'm not sure that Baltimore isn't on the list.....

It is far more likely that Tyrod Taylor is our franchise QB than any generic 1st round QB from the last 10 years. Once you get past pick #2 finding even a starting level QB becomes an extremely low probability. And it's only 50/50 for #1 overall.

I'm not sure that Baltimore isn't on the list.....

Agree, I knew I probably missed a few. My point was some teams may reload with another stud QB for years to come while we continue to spin with average QB play based upon a winning season in what is deemed as a QB rich draft unless you give up the farm and then some to move up.

A lot of the comments so far are not really addressing what you are getting at, and this does raise an interesting issue/talking point.

Luckily, we don't have to figure this out right now, b/c the season is young.

But if we continue to win and threaten to be a playoff team, it does sort of throw the "get a great QB prospect" plan in the trash bin.

There is a caveat here! If we continue to win this year and truly threaten to make the playoffs or actually do make the playoffs, it will be because this is sort of an off year in the AFC, NE is beatable, Brady is off his game, etc...

It's a question of timing and catching the rest of the league and more so the AFC at the right time.

Because of that, I would be all in on "win now" and see how the QB/draft plays out after the smoke clears.

If we make the playoffs in a year the Patriots are off their game and there is not a lot of talent floating around the AFC, who knows what we could accomplish.

This isn't the NHL! You don't need to win 4 out of every 7 games for 2 months to win the championship...

You get hot and catch the right opponents at the right time for a couple of weeks, and the next thing you know you are in the AFC championship game or maybe even the Superbowl.

Can you guys imagine this team in the AFC championship game?! I wouldn't know what to do.

My head would explode.

It would be fantastic.

Edited by Fadingpain

The possibility of playoffs affecting draft position is a good problem to have. I think it's early for that, but still a good problem.

However, this team needs to take a QB high next year regardless of how well we finish.

Whatever happens, happens. I'll be rooting for the Bills to win until they're mathematically eliminated from playoff contention. After that I'll focus on draft position. Then I'll watch the NFL playoffs, then college basketball, then the Masters, then finally I'll take a look at the draft.

Edited by Wayne Arnold

The possibility of playoffs affecting draft position is a good problem to have. I think it's early for that, but still a good problem.

However, this team needs to take a QB high next year regardless of how well we finish.

I'm completely against that strategy. Taking a QB just to take one regardless of who's on the board is not worth it. If they really feel a QB can be a consistent top 10 passer they should do what they can to get him but if it doesn't work out there's no need to panic. I'm all for taking a QB every year at this point, just not necessarily high in the 1st round.

We went 9-7 with Uncle Rico. There's no reason why we couldn't do that with Tyrod if all of the cards fell the right way. Ok, but are we any closer to winning the super bowl? Then the next year we go 7-9 and cut Tyrod and start from scratch. We've already been there done that. I'm glad they are winning and it's exciting but we might be setting this team back many years by doing so. Until we get a franchise QB we are going to be a .500 team +-1 game

If you're good enough to win with our current crop of WR's, you take that and hope having NFL caliber weapons makes you a serious contender. Take the QB where you can and cross your fingers. There could very well be a second round guy who makes the grade in this draft (or a guy who falls to wherever we pick in the first).

Edited by Augie

Translating QBs to today's NFL is a crapshoot.

They DO NOT groom college QBs to be successful NFL QBs. College coaches care about winning and saving their job...

That means gimmicky offenses and less developed QBs. The days of stud star QBs are almost behind us. The likes of Luck, Manning, and Elway are just that. Once every 15-20 year prospects.

It's all about finding the guy that fits your scheme and building the offense around them. Darnold is a great prospect but not on the same caliber as Luck, Manning. Same wth Rosen, he can easily become another cutler.

Find the guy whose traits fit your offense the most and develop him. Franchise QBs will need to be coached up... they aren't ready made 99% of the time now

Bills have a reasonably-priced option on Taylor for 2018 if they choose to keep him? Hell, draft a QB to develop and compete with Peterman. Draft another in 2019 if those 2 work out and Taylor is let go.

^ This ... ESPECIALLY if we go 10-6 or better this year.

Translating QBs to today's NFL is a crapshoot.

They DO NOT groom college QBs to be successful NFL QBs. College coaches care about winning and saving their job...

That means gimmicky offenses and less developed QBs. The days of stud star QBs are almost behind us. The likes of Luck, Manning, and Elway are just that. Once every 15-20 year prospects.

It's all about finding the guy that fits your scheme and building the offense around them. Darnold is a great prospect but not on the same caliber as Luck, Manning. Same wth Rosen, he can easily become another cutler.

Find the guy whose traits fit your offense the most and develop him. Franchise QBs will need to be coached up... they aren't ready made 99% of the time now

Speaking of which...if you are a top 5 QB out of HS, don't you want to look for a pro style offense that will prepare you? I think I would. Maybe I'm missing something...

A lot of the comments so far are not really addressing what you are getting at, and this does raise an interesting issue/talking point.

Luckily, we don't have to figure this out right now, b/c the season is young.

But if we continue to win and threaten to be a playoff team, it does sort of throw the "get a great QB prospect" plan in the trash bin.

There is a caveat here! If we continue to win this year and truly threaten to make the playoffs or actually do make the playoffs, it will be because this is sort of an off year in the AFC, NE is beatable, Brady is off his game, etc...

It's a question of timing and catching the rest of the league and more so the AFC at the right time.

Because of that, I would be all in on "win now" and see how the QB/draft plays out after the smoke clears.

If we make the playoffs in a year the Patriots are off their game and there is not a lot of talent floating around the AFC, who knows what we could accomplish.

This isn't the NHL! You don't need to win 4 out of every 7 games for 2 months to win the championship...

You get hot and catch the right opponents at the right time for a couple of weeks, and the next thing you know you are in the AFC championship game or maybe even the Superbowl.

Can you guys imagine this team in the AFC championship game?! I wouldn't know what to do.

My head would explode.

It would be fantastic.

Look at the chiefs. They were in the final four, still drafted one of the top 3 QBs in Mahomes by trading with us. So its not impossible.