Is the Patriots' defense as bad as it looks?

Dr. K

Way too early to tell. The Patriots have always been slow-starters and improve as the season goes along. Hopefully they are declining and are less invincible. I'm tired of seeing these guys win the AFC East every single year and being in almost every AFC Championship game. They've had an incredible run like no other team has done before, but it's time for their dynasty to be over!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

They've allowed 95 points in three games. I want to believe that they are bad but knowing the Pats and the way they have hornswoggled the league for fifteen years, I just can't trust them to be so awful.

But it would be nice to think they could not hold anyone under 30 points per game, even on their home field.

It is a very flawed unit. Advanced stat people actually have found going back 13 weeks to last season that the Pats defense is far less then what it appears. The loss of Nikovich to retirement and lack of edge rushers is hurting them. Their secondary is solid and Donta Hightower is a great player, but you can only cover so long before a guy gets open if your not getting pressure. Now they are buoyed by a offense the generally has the lead early so its easier to pressure when you have that advantage. But I have in general thought the Pats are closer to an 11-5/12-4 unit, then the 16-0/15-1 group people spoke all season about. Still a very good team but beatable even with #12.

Edited by corta765

Hightower will make a difference. And I don't trust Beli not to fix it. But they look a bit vulnerable. I think our D scheme is good for Brady. Keep it in front of you and smack the crap out of the receivers.

Historically Brady is very good against zone. They will have to mix man coverage in if they play on having a real shot to mess up their patterns.

Yes it is as bad as it looks.

The Pats are definitely beatable. The Texans literally had that game in their hands and the cornerback dropped the ball. A two TD underdog with a rookie QB goes up to Foxboro and should have won the game, this is not the pats of the past.

Historically Brady is very good against zone. They will have to mix man coverage in if they play on having a real shot to mess up their patterns.

Brady is going to pass for 400 yards each game on us, he is going to pick our zone to shreds between the 20s, how many TDs he gets is another issue with the field compressed in the red zone.

Yes it is as bad as it looks.

The Pats are definitely beatable. The Texans literally had that game in their hands and the cornerback dropped the ball. A two TD underdog with a rookie QB goes up to Foxboro and should have won the game, this is not the pats of the past.

Brady is going to pass for 400 yards each game on us, he is going to pick our zone to shreds between the 20s, how many TDs he gets is another issue with the field compressed in the red zone.

Agreed. Our LB core is OK at best and I see him doing exactly what you said.

Come on man. Why'd you have to do that.

See: Superbowl XLVI instead.

NYG: 37:05

NE: 22:55

Kept the ball from them for a whole quarter. And they also beat the **** out of Brady that game which made it even better.

Because it fits. :flirt:

The Giants had the ball for almost 40 minutes, the Bills had it for barely 20 minutes and scored 19 points. I still think they would have scored enough to win if they had the ball for another 5-6 minutes.

It is a very flawed unit. Advanced stat people actually have found going back 13 weeks to last season that the Pats defense is far less then what it appears. The loss of Nikovich to retirement and lack of edge rushers is hurting them. Their secondary is solid and Donta Hightower is a great player, but you can only cover so long before a guy gets open if your not getting pressure. Now they are buoyed by a offense the generally has the lead early so its easier to pressure when you have that advantage. But I have in general thought the Pats are closer to an 11-5/12-4 unit, then the 16-0/15-1 group people spoke all season about. Still a very good team but beatable even with #12.

My take after the KC game was they don't have much of a pass rush, which then filters down to the secondary. Trading Chandler Jones was a big Belichick mistake...

They've allowed 95 points in three games. I want to believe that they are bad but knowing the Pats and the way they have hornswoggled the league for fifteen years, I just can't trust them to be so awful.

But it would be nice to think they could not hold anyone under 30 points per game, even on their home field.

when the patriots look horrible it usually equals a SB win that yr

I think New England have a talent deficiency in the front 7. Their DBs are playing okay but are being asked to cover too long too often. No pass rush and no intermediate coverage from what is one of the most appalling linebacking corps in the whole league.

Thats the biggest problem as I see it, no pass rush. And no one to threaten a pass rush.

They have nearly given up 3, 300 yard passers. They have allowed over 400 yards to every team so far. Its pretty bad so far.

Thats the biggest problem as I see it, no pass rush. And no one to threaten a pass rush.

They have nearly given up 3, 300 yard passers. They have allowed over 400 yards to every team so far. Its pretty bad so far.

Yep. But the d-line is still better than those 3 linebackers who started yesterday. Honestly they could pluck three drunks out of Boston's best Irish Bar and start them at LBer next week and they wouldn't look any worse. Ironically for a team who have made a living on the TE mismatch..... they can't cover TEs at all.

Edited by GunnerBill