The 4th and 2 fake punt

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think if you want to take the risk you should just call a normal play. Throwing a simple pass on 4th down and missing is no more embarrassing than missing on a fake punt. But I wonder what the stats say, are fake punts more successful than your average 4th and short play?

I would keep an eye on # 44 D. Lacey. He was a late cut of the Dolphins signed immediately by Buffalo. He was by far the best ST player in the Canadian league and then one of its top linebackers. I will not be surprised if he eventually sees the field on D. I think this guy can play.

Oh, that's right. I pride myself on knowing the players, pretty well, but today on that fake punt tackle I was thinking, "Lacey? Who the hell is Lacey?" Your comment reminded me of the recent acquisition. After he was acquired I brought up some highlights of his on YouTube. If he can do close to what he was doing in that YouTube video on New Era Field, then we have another special player in our ranks. Oh, and speaking of recent acquisitions, don't forget it was our 3rd string quarterback that was also in on that tackle.

Edited by Fan in Alaska

I thought it was a terrible call and risk/reward. At that point I would have assumed they were the Broncos and we were the Bills and they would wear us down.

I don't know. With the broncos D and the way the Bills O was looking at that point in the game... He is figuring that if he misses on that fake punt, it's maybe a FG. In fact, we got the ball; lost 3 yards; and had to hit a 53-yard FG.

Very risky. But maybe it's a risk you take with a great D in that spot.

You could tell in the stadium that there was movement happening pre-snap that didn't happen with their other punts. I thought the same thing about it being a fake.

If casual fans could pick up on it, chances are the players knew too.

I thought the Bills were late in getting their players set up and the Broncos saw the mismatch and tried to run the play quickly, but they were sniffed out!

I don't know. With the broncos D and the way the Bills O was looking at that point in the game... He is figuring that if he misses on that fake punt, it's maybe a FG. In fact, we got the ball; lost 3 yards; and had to hit a 53-yard FG.

My thoughts exactly. At the time our offense was going backward.

This defense is exceptionally well coached and disciplined...rarely get fooled, rarely in the wrong place, always around the ball...they are a lot fo fun to watch...truly an 11 man unit playing as one.

Aah...The coaching!!! When this team has good coaching (Schwartz, Frazier) they have done a tremendous job. Team does have talent...Rex screwed it up along with his pompous brother and cronies

The problem with that thought (and from a rookie HC) is the situation. YOu are playing in a tough stadium on the road and did not give respect to a Bills Defense that was all over the place. Even if the broncos were willing to give up a FG there, there was no guarantee that they would have scored against the Bills defense. A rookie HC mistake put them in a hole. And of course his defense couldn't stop the Bills offense in the 4th quarter. They ganged up on Shady and yet he churned out first downs...Hallmark of a truly great player!

Aah...The coaching!!! When this team has good coaching (Schwartz, Frazier) they have done a tremendous job. Team does have talent...Rex screwed it up along with his pompous brother and cronies

The problem with that thought (and from a rookie HC) is the situation. YOu are playing in a tough stadium on the road and did not give respect to a Bills Defense that was all over the place. Even if the broncos were willing to give up a FG there, there was no guarantee that they would have scored against the Bills defense. A rookie HC mistake put them in a hole. And of course his defense couldn't stop the Bills offense in the 4th quarter. They ganged up on Shady and yet he churned out first downs...Hallmark of a truly great player!

And they in fact did not

The punter ran out but the entire rest of the unit stayed back on the sideline for a little while longer, probably talking to the coaches. It was pretty obvious something was up.

How refreshing was it for us to not be the team responsible for all the "WTF was that" moments?

The center only had one hand on the ball like he was snapping a shotgun formation play. I noticed that on the replay, although I admit I didn't compare it with any of their other punts. They pretty much always use two hands for punt snaps.

Good catch. You can bet the Bronco coaches will be pointing this out when they break down the game video.

Joseph's decision to go for it there was a HUGE PHUCK YOU to our offense. Sure, it was also a huge vote of confidence in his defense and our subsequent offensive series bore out why, but I like the chip on the shoulder angle better.