Tyrod Presser - Interesting insight to playcalling

Virgil

If you listen to Tyrods presser, he talks about the touchdown pass to Clay. He said the first read was to Matthews on the outside, scrambling was his second read, and Clay was meant to be the 3rd read.

Outside of call quarterback runs, I dont ever think of Tyrod running as a called read. I wonder how many plays hes ran and fans have accused him of bailing on the play.

Just something I found interesting and makes me realize again how much we dont understand from our couches.

Edited by Virgil

If you listen to Tyrods presser, he talks about the touchdown pass to Clay. He said the first read was to Matthews on the outside, scrambling was his second read, and Clay was meant to be the 3rd read.

Outside of call quarterback runs, I dont ever think of Tyrod running as a called read. I wonder how many plays hes ran and fans have accused him of bailing on the play.

Just something I found interesting and makes me realize again how much we dont understand from our couches.

Is this called an RPO?

Yes.

That is the problem with expert armchair QB analysis. In reality, there is no such thing. Just guessing.

Is this called an RPO?

No...A RPO is a Run-Pass Option which means there is a running play called and a passing play called on the same play...the receivers run their routes and the RB goes to take the ball, sometimes he gets it and sometimes the QB keeps it and throws a pass...depends on the defensive look/matchup he gets

Edited by matter2003

I agree. especially when certain people go into specifically looking for fault. "How many plays were left on the field" is my new favorite trend around here.

I want to punch people in the neck when they point out a wide open wide receiver when Tyrod already looked his way, he wasn't open, then threw to someone else, and then he became open.

The all 22 is one of the best things ever for fans, and one of the worst.

It is helpful, just not for the things most fans use it for. All season long you have people pointing out some receiver Tyrod should have thrown to without knowing the progressions. You'd have to have the exact play calls in front of you to make heads or tails of it. The simple solution is too look at efficiency stats. If Tyrod is really missing wide open receivers all over the field, he wouldn't have a career average passer rating. The way some Bills fans talk you'd think we are the only offense in the NFL who constantly have wide open receivers everywhere. It doesn't make any sense. I also think people miss that defenses key in on the progressions and some "open" receivers only become open because defenses are smart enough to head in the direction of the play.

Also good thread Virgil, I didn't watch any of the pressers so I missed this. Thanks.

Good. I'm glad.

I remember watching one of those shows on NFL network about Mike Vick and his coaches actually told him to run if he got certain looks by the defense. I don't like seeing Taylor on designed runs but I love it that he uses his legs to run on passing plays at times. He's been extremely successful in those situations over the last couple years. I've done the math and he gains 8 yards per carry every time he scrambles through all of his 29 games in 2015 and 2016.

Nothing wrong with it as long as he's looking to pass like he was today. That Clay TD was fantastic!

The all 22 is one of the best things ever for fans, and one of the worst.

Exactly!

I was wondering about this call. I almost thought it was a designed look off pass to clay. That is the type of play call I love for Tyrod. It gives him so many options for whatever the defense gives him.

Yeah, it almost looked like, and reminded me of a basketball pick and roll...cool play design.

Actually if you listen Clay was the fourth option. Running was the third option. There were two WRs in patterns to the right where he was moving. If the defense takes away the WRs it is a sprint to the pylon between TT and a linebacker or safety. Bit Clay kept running his route even though there was little chance the ball would come his way.

Look for more designed misdirection over the next few weeks. Roll out and draw the defenders then pass back to a TE or RB.