Rob Ryan on Undisputed

major

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a perfect vacuum, obviously the Bills should have kept Watkins. Woods is not a key player, but it certainly would not have hurt to keep him. Managing the cap, however, is a challenging and delicate task. Given Buffalo's cap situation at the time, I can't blame the Bills for letting go of Woods. As far as Watkins is concerned, I absolutely think he is an elite talent. At the time the Bills made the trade, I don't know what information they had about the status of his recovery form foot surgery. Nobody knows what his salary demands would have been following the 2017 season. What the Bills did in making a trade was in essence a hedging of a bet on their wide receiver situation both near and long term. The gave up the possibility of having an elite receiver because he might not have been healthy and might have been too expensive after 2017, in return gaining a good receiver (Matthews) who can probably be retained for less money than Watkins (I realize it took two transactions for the Bills to end up with Matthews, the actual Matthews trade being with Philadelphia). Because there are draft picks involved with the two trades, it is probably going to take at least a couple years to come up with a reasonable assessment of whether or not Buffalo came out ahead in the two transactions.

In the mean time, Rob Ryan has a difficult enough time handling the complexities of coaching, without trying to take on GM responsibilities too.

Sammy could be a top 5 WR if he stays healthy. With Sammy it would come down to what he wanted contract wise vs can I deal with him playing 10 weeks a season. The contract I would push for Sammy would be a 4 year deal for 38 mil and a lot of bonus money for numbers and playoffs. Only problem is I think Sammy would want a 4 year deal for 60 and that's too much for how much time he misses. We had no choice but to trade Sammy for a 2nd, it sucks but our hands were tied on that one.

Robert Woods is a WR that wish we still had, he wasn't a number 1 but he is better than a number 2. For the contract that the Rams gave him I would be very happy with that deal in Buffalo.

In a windy stadium like this you need big WR's with good hands and speed that can win battles. With a new QB, 2018 will be a fun year if this defense keeps improving and we add offensive weapons in FA and the draft.

Edited by Call_Of_Ktulu

Not to defend the Ryan brothers, but the reply to that would be, "Why am I on your show if I'm not so brilliant?"

If course, remembering the confusion and late defensive play calling last year, Rob would think of that reply several questions later.

Skips proper response would've been "because you're and idiot and that makes for entertaining TV. Now, why is it that you don't have a job again?"

Turned on undisputed with skip and shannon this morning and the guest was Rob Ryan. He was slamming Buffalo for getting rid of Watkins and Woods and made some other jabs at our franchise. Why the Pegs ever allowed them the opportunity to work at OBD is beyond me! I gave the Ryan brothers every chance in the book. I wished skip or Shannon had said, "why aren't you employed if you are so brilliant?"

Must be a slow friday if the best they can do as a guest is Rob Ryan.

Not to defend Ryan, but a lot of people in the football community will be criticizing the Bills for dumping Watkins and Woods this weekend.

We traded watkins... so i guess we dumped him.

Woods was a UFA and got overpaid based on his accomplishments in years 1-4.

So sick of hearing about these trades!! It's over - move on.

As for Rob Ryan - you're a failure. Get on with your life - the NFL dream is over for you.

Turned on undisputed with skip and shannon this morning and the guest was Rob Ryan. He was slamming Buffalo for getting rid of Watkins and Woods and made some other jabs at our franchise. Why the Pegs ever allowed them the opportunity to work at OBD is beyond me! I gave the Ryan brothers every chance in the book. I wished skip or Shannon had said, "why aren't you employed if you are so brilliant?"

I'm just waiting for one of these 2 loudmouths (Rex and Rob) to violate the non disclosure agreement that was likely in their contract (seems like something Pegula puts in every exec & coaches contract), and lose out on all the money they have left on their contracts...

We didn't dump Woods. He was a FA and left.

Yup. People love to blame McDermott for this one (and Gilmore too) but that is just BS.

Whaley had a year to sign Woods and 2 years to sign Gilmore. It was reported long before McDermott got here that the Bills were not willing to go above $11.5M on Gilmore and that they weren't even negotiating with Robert Woods (whether that was because they didn't want Woods, or woods didn't want to be here I don't know. I do know that there were reports of him wanting to go home to cali though).

Plus the Bills only had $19M in cap space entering the offseason, with 26 free agents. That's a lot of holes to fill and very little cap space to fill them with. Especially if you give Woods $7M and/or Gilmore $13M.

Rex was a great D Coordinator who should have stayed in Baltimore. Obviously he was not the legend that his dad was, but he was good.

What D. Rex was a shell of a coordinator who got lucky and lived off his dad's work. Rob was the leach who lived off Rex's short burst of fame. They were both all mouthy egomaniacs who sucked the life out of a tremendous defense. They are vile to all who treasure Bills football.

Edited by BillsRdue

Granted, if he's that bad and is right- the decision will really be underscored as exceptionally silly

Granted, if he's that bad and is right- the decision will really be underscored as exceptionally silly

Regardless of whether they turn out to be or not, it's easy to say these moves were mistakes. It takes no critical thinking to parrot this popular view and offer nothing more, which, without hearing the interview, is what I'm assuming happened because it fits the Ryan family MO. It's Rex's comments on the Bills-Jets game, redux.

The jilted Ryans will never acknowledge that if they were better coaches they wouldn't have been fired 4 times in 2 years, collectively, because it would mean finally accepting responsibility for their shortcomings, which is not in their DNA. Instead they will stand together with their "us against the world" approach and take their cheap, mindless potshots against all who have wronged them at every provided opportunity.

He's probably just mad he can't afford to give a go-fer $1000 per week to stock his junk food drawer anymore, the fat, useless POS.

Edited by transient

Rob actually said this ..

@salsports

...Ryan: "There were a couple coaches not good enough for them, either, but will be tearing it up next year."

Oh. Ok.

So he's suggesting him and his brother Rex will both be coaching next year and "tearing it up."

giphy.gif

Edited by YoloinOhio

Rob actually said this ..

@salsports

...Ryan: "There were a couple coaches not good enough for them, either, but will be tearing it up next year."

Oh. Ok.

So he's suggesting him and his brother Rex will both be coaching next year and "tearing it up."

giphy.gif

I think that was taken out of context. When he was talking about tearing it up with Rex it was in reference to the buffet at Golden Corral.