Whoa: A. Hernandez most severe case of CTE ever

Alphadawg7

Nope to much money involved. People put aside the risks for millions.

It's happened to every sport in history. Pretty much every specific human enterprise in history, actually, but certainly sports are included.

Chariot races used to be huge. Long-distance walking and biking events filled Madison Square Garden. Dance marathons were massive.

Being big now is likely to guarantee you'll be big in the near future, but not in the distant future. Change happens. Especially so when something like this happens to a sport. This looks a lot like a change agent.

Edited by Thurman#1

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it can be ignored. They're being paid handsomely and many players were impoverished and this was the easiest way to richville.

They know the risks before they strap on the pads.

It's a gamble but it's their gamble to make. If I could have played professionally I would have.

A few broken eggs... meh...

Joining the military can be bad for your health and you don't get paid like pro athletes. I don't see anyone trying to discourage people from joining the military.

Yeah, meh. A few broken eggs. A few guys with terrible brain disease. Meh.

Nice post.

How many 27 year olds have been tested? Is this like the tallest guy to ever be the first to walk on the moon?

Regardless, he'd been playing football and doing his little "gang thing" for a long, long time. Way to sue the deep pockets for your personal choices. Shocking...

"The level of damage was said to be similar to that seen in football players with a median age of 67."

I can't stand when families try to go after money because of stuff like this. Everyone should know the dangers of playing football. It is a violent game and nothing is promised for the present and future. And they almost act like it an excuse to gun down 3 people, or however he actually murdered. I get there is legal stuff involved, but it should be common sense that football is not good for the head trauma

Exactly. If someone told me right now the risks of football, but offered me a 40 million dollar contract, I would 100 percent play

I'd play too but I'd retire after my first serious concussion.

More, you're acting as if every NFL player gets a $40 million dollar contract. That's -what - the top 5%? Maybe. The average career is below three years, correct? Those guys don't get $40 million contracts. Most NFL players make good money but don't get even vaguely close to that neighborhood. Right now there are four guys on the Bills roster with a contract that high.

Bjorn Nittmo didn't get a $40 million contract but it sure looks like he's going to be found to have been a CTE casualty from pro football, for instance.

Edited by Thurman#1

Being a boxing fan, I've seen this numerous times before where the fighter will kill his spouse, a family member or friend.

Hernandez is a special case because he was believed to be a lunatic prior, but these findings cannot be ignored.

In high school, Aaron was considered an extremely sweet kid.

https://www.si.com/longform/2016/aaron-hernandez-brother-dj-hernandez/index.html

He freaking got stabbed without retaliating.

Among the players sampled in the brain study were four guys who got CTE after playing only high school football.

Hernandez's college problems could have had CTE as an important contributing factor. The folks on here conclusively denying that are just as wrong as anyone who's absolutely sure that the murders were completely caused by CTE.

Edited by Thurman#1

I can't stand when families try to go after money because of stuff like this. Everyone should know the dangers of playing football. It is a violent game and nothing is promised for the present and future. And they almost act like it an excuse to gun down 3 people, or however he actually murdered. I get there is legal stuff involved, but it should be common sense that football is not good for the head trauma

Exactly. If someone told me right now the risks of football, but offered me a 40 million dollar contract, I would 100 percent play

The tricky part is how few see that offer and how long they play before getting a penny

In high school, Aaron was considered an extremely sweet kid.

https://www.si.com/longform/2016/aaron-hernandez-brother-dj-hernandez/index.html

He freaking got stabbed without retaliating.

Among the players sampled in the brain study were four guys who got CTE after playing only high school football.

Hernandez's college problems could have had CTE as an important contributing factor. The folks on here conclusively denying that are just as wrong as anyone who's absolutely sure that the murders were completely caused by CTE.

Because no "sweet kids" ever turned bad without CTE? Generally one isn't born as a baby gangster.

I think it can be ignored. They're being paid handsomely and many players were impoverished and this was the easiest way to richville.

They know the risks before they strap on the pads.

Well then, continue ignoring the NFL's declining audience and pop Warner's declining participation numbers. Just don't ask, "What happened to the football I used to know?" in 30 years.

The signs were right there in front of your eyes and you chose to ignore them.

Edited by Chicken Boo

More, you're acting as if every NFL player gets a $40 million dollar contract. That's -what - the top 5%? Maybe. The average career is below three years, correct? Those guys don't get $40 million contracts. Most NFL players make good money but don't get even vaguely close to that neighborhood. Right now there are four guys on the Bills roster with a contract that high.

Bjorn Nittmo didn't get a $40 million contract but it sure looks like he's going to be found to have been a CTE casualty from pro football, for instance.

I was referring to aaron Hernandez's contract. I believe it was a 5 year, 40 million dollar contract

The tricky part is how few see that offer and how long they play before getting a penny

Yes that is true. But if I had serious potential in college, I would go for it

Edited by billsfan11

I agree with the people who are saying that CTE will push the NFL down the same path as boxing.

Why?

- paying the players who have CTE for their long term care for CTE related dementia will dramatically damage the NFLs as viable business concern

- the number kids playing the game will begin to shrink (seriously ask yourself: with the accumulating evidence linking football, or for that fact any high impact contact sport, would you let your kid play football knowing that the likelihood of long term brain injury is much higher playing football vs, say, basketball?)

I agree with the people who are saying that CTE will push the NFL down the same path as boxing.

Why?

- paying the players who have CTE for their long term care for CTE related dementia will dramatically damage the NFLs as viable business concern

- the number kids playing the game will begin to shrink (seriously ask yourself: with the accumulating evidence linking football, or for that fact any high impact contact sport, would you let your kid play football knowing that the likelihood of long term brain injury is much higher playing football vs, say, basketball?)

I think CTE will definitely have an affect.

Boxing's biggest problem is they have too many federations/belts, don't market their fighters well and don't have balanced fight cards.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/21/health/aaron-hernandez-cte/index.html

http://www.tmz.com/2017/09/21/aaron-hernandezs-fiancee-sues-patriots-nfl-cte/

Wow, this is going to be interesting how things evolve from here. Aaron Hernandez found to have most severe case of CTE in a 27 year old ever found. Fiancé is suing the Patriots over this as well.

I have a feeling this is going to be a significant case moving forward and its going to be interesting to see how this plays out from both a liability stance regarding the team as well as how A. Hernandez the man is viewed. CTE has been shown to create violent and uncharacteristic behavior already, so going to be interesting to watch how this affects the view of Hernandez as well.

EDIT: To be clear, I am not advocating this is an excuse for him, wondering how public perception evolves around this case. And I am more interested in the impact it will have on teams when making decisions on future prospects who have had any sort of off field issue if they end up liable in any capacity.

I don't get the Fiance` suing the Patriots. He was not in the league for all that long. Clearly his "CTE issues" started long before joinging the Patriots. If you sue them, you need to sue the college he attended as well. Its a money grab. Nothing more.

Or the Coke he snorted.

Coke causes it too.

oof.... that was a nasty thing, colleagues would burst into unstoppable nosebleeds on the hoops court, a few times during business meetings.

The coke epidemic was so bad that they pretended it was Marfan's Syndrome to try to explain all the athletes suddenly keeling over in the mid-80s.

The Syndrome exists but it was mostly coke.

Because no "sweet kids" ever turned bad without CTE? Generally one isn't born as a baby gangster.

I already addressed this argument. Right in the same post you're replying to, actually.

I said, "Hernandez's college problems could have had CTE as an important contributing factor. The folks on here conclusively denying that are just as wrong as anyone who's absolutely sure that the murders were completely caused by CTE."

"Could have had ... as an important contributing factor." Not "Absolutely is the only cause."

Maybe you could argue with what's actually written?

Read the story. Then come back and we can have a discussion. It's a terrific story, really well-researched, detailed and interesting. The story of Aaron Hernandez is his somewhat unexplainable near-complete personality change. The story implies that the death of his father was to blame, and hanging around the wrong people. But reading it again after seeing the results of this CTE test casts a totally different light on the whole story.

Edited by Thurman#1

@MatthewFairburn

Bills coach Sean McDermott gives awkward response to concussion question: http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/09/bills_coach_sean_mcdermott_gives_awkward_response_to_concussion_question.html

Orchard Park, N.Y. -- Buffalo Bills coach Sean McDermott had an awkward response when asked about the growing concern over brain injuries in football. In light of the news Thursday that Boston University researchers found former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez had Stage III CTE, the youngest the player found to have such a severe case, McDermott was asked about his thoughts on the future of the game.