McDermott: Not Enough Separation from the Bills' WRs

26CornerBlitz

@SPECNewsROC

McDermott acknowledged the #Bills' wideouts haven't done well winning individual battles during the first two games.

http://www.twcnews.com/nys/rochester/sports/2017/09/20/buffalo-bills-denver-broncos-sean-mcdermott-wide-receivers-.html

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- The Bills' wideouts haven't done well winning individual battles during the first two games, Head Coach Sean McDermott acknowledged. Buffalo's 162.5 passing yard average is 27th in the league.

McDermott said either through physicality or speed, Jordan Matthews, Zay Jones and Andre Holmes have to make names for themselves for the passing game to wake up versus the Denver Broncos, who are 2-0.

"I do feel we have enough speed in the receiving core, I do. That's an area we've got to work on," McDermott said.

"We certainly have to work on getting better separation and winning our one-on-one’s. That’s just not the receivers, that’s our backs, our tight ends, up front, we just have to do a better job."

@JonScottTV

Jordan Matthews with some interesting comments regarding the WR criticism. #Bills

https://twitter.com/i/videos/tweet/910601730827718657

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really hoping it doesn't turn into Rexs abomination of defense on offense but they have essentially done the same thing.

It's unfortunate because the offense really was a solid unit the past couple years despite the people on this board who constantly throw Tyrod under the bus.

It would be nice if this franchise didn't constantly !@#$ up good things.

Pretty much exactly what I have been expecting since the preseason.

Yeah BUT you gotta be kidding me. We the idiot fans knew these guys aren't getting "separation". He's just defending his QB by throwing the wideouts under the bus.

That's what I thought exactly. And defending the OC. Plenty of separation on that last play! Maybe your GM should have predicted this problem and did something to prevent it. Matthews may be a decent receiver but not a number 1 and Jones is a rookie. We may have the weakest WR position in the NFL.

Also, there are more knowledgeable fans than I who can tell me if I am correct but it seems to be the West Coast Offense has run its course and Dennison is not innovative enough. When the West Coast was run by the 49ers and even last decade it seemed like defenses hadn't yet adjusted. Today I think this offense plays into their hands because they are faster and better at red zone defense. Trying to score with a 12 play drive doesn't seem to be the way to go any more. You need to spread the field vertically and well as horizontally. But what do I know other than the Bills offense looks lost compared to last year.

1. Jordan Matthews, Zay Jones, Andre Holmes, and Brandon Tate; are still better than:

2. Marquise Goodwin, Justin Hunter, Walt Powell, and Brandon Tate.

They're both crap. But Group #1 is better overall IMO.

The Bills were able to produce 25 points with group #2 @ Miami last season with Shady injuring himself and rushing for 11yds that game.

A. Lynn >>>>>>> Dennison. The end.

It's great news that McDermott acknowledges that there's a problem. It's terrible news if he thinks it's just the receivers and not the awful game plan from Dennison.

The OC is going to cost us a playoff berth in a weak AFC this season unless something changes quickly.

Edited by QB Bills

1. Jordan Matthews, Zay Jones, Andre Holmes, and Brandon Tate; are still better than:

2. Marquise Goodwin, Justin Hunter, Walt Powell, and Brandon Tate.

They're both crap. But Group #1 is better overall IMO.

The Bills were able to produce 25 points with group #2 @ Miami last season with Shady injuring himself and rushing for 11yds that game.

A. Lynn >>>>>>> Dennison. The end.

i was mostly blaming the talent, but this has convinced me that it is the design of the offense.... which is a really bad problem. going to be a long season and im sure we will waste our draft picks we have been collecting

i was mostly blaming the talent, but this has convinced me that it is the design of the offense.... which is a really bad problem. going to be a long season and im sure we will waste our draft picks we have been collecting

I really like McD. But Dennison is going to weigh him down big time especially since McD isnt an offensive guy.

I guess we'll see how this plays out long term.