Why dont the Bills Audible?

MAJBobby

If Tyrod cant read a defense very well and isn't allowed to audible etc...

The offense needs to line up out of the called formation (dummy formation) initially then quickly shift and hike the ball.

Call a dummy formation, then call the play. The shift will happen at the Que from the QB.

The defense is always making pre snap reads based on formation, down and distances, shifts etc.

As an offense, you have to keep the defense guessing.

I don't care how bad your QB is... if they have 8 in the box, with 5 on the line and you can't audible to a go route or a hitch if they are off 9-10 yards etc then what are we doing?

Edited by 1WATKINS4

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Tyrod cant read a defense very well and isn't allowed to audible etc...

The offense needs to line up out of the called formation (dummy formation) initially then quickly shift and hike the ball.

Call a dummy formation, then call the play. The shift will happen at the Que from the QB.

The defense is always making pre snap reads based on formation, down and distances, shifts etc.

As an offense, you have to keep the defense guessing.

I don't care how bad your QB is... if they have 8 in the box, with 5 on the line and you can't audible to a go route or a hitch if they are off 9-10 yards etc then what are we doing?

There haven't been obvious audibles, but I sure hope we have some basic hot reads and such.

This thread right here-- I've wanted local press to dig on it since tyrod got the job. Call the old staff even- just a basic "how handcuffed is our qb pre-snap?"

Maybe even cover 1 could take a look and see what they think? Something....

there is no hard count, no quick to the line snaps to catch the 12th man running off the field, no rub routes or pick plays at the line (legal for the first yard and often allowed after that), no attempt to fake hide the ball by the qb after the handoff to set up the bootleg or at least freeze the defense for half a second, and no attempts to throw a jump ball on 3rd down and long to our tall receivers matthews and Holmes. These are huge weapons for all good offenses, I see us utilizing none of these.

Ok and we have been there since Gailey. You think it gonna change next year with a rookie QB? You think they are giving him the keys to an offense and say ho ahead make your checks at the line?

Get the good QB first and let him get some experience, then we can talk audibles!

Good point. It was very obvious carolina knew their plays, and the bills did nothing to adjust. It has got to be lack of faith in Tyrod in this new system. Maybe Dennison doesn't trust hit yet. But that has to change or we will see lots of similar results

But it was an issue two years into the old system too

Making full scale audibles at the LoS requires much more than just saying do it.

A QB must not only have full control of his offense , he must be aware 100% of what the defense is doing. Not just pre snap, but post snap.

TT may be able to break down a cover 3 defense PRE SNAP, but post snap he doesn't know how to beat it with his arm... He doesn't audible to the skinny posts to beat the cover 3 because his arm doesn't make that throw consistently.

Audibling into certain play calls can be a passing QBs best friend... but TT isn't a conventional QB. He doesn't use his arm to beat coverages consistently

There haven't been obvious audibles, but I sure hope we have some basic hot reads and such.

This thread right here-- I've wanted local press to dig on it since tyrod got the job. Call the old staff even- just a basic "how handcuffed is our qb pre-snap?"

Maybe even cover 1 could take a look and see what they think? Something....

Watch how often TT gives signals or calls audibles... its very seldom. Where I believe in the Brady Payton style, call something every play. A lot of its garbage just to get the defense thinking.

I saw and have been verifiied by other Bills players Luke Kuechly knew exactly what was going in on almost every play. So i started thinking when was the last time we actually audibled alot instead of running just the play right into an already knowing Defense.

I could really only come up with all the way back to the Gailey offense that there was a decent amount of changing the play at the line.

Kinda hard to run any offense when you do exactly what is called and the freaking defense is calling out.

Is the the Conservative Offensive Coaching the Bills have had since Gailey? It cant just be on the QB because it goes on longer than just this QB

They tried to give TT more control last year and that led to Roman's firing.

Watch how often TT gives signals or calls audibles... its very seldom. Where I believe in the Brady Payton style, call something every play. A lot of its garbage just to get the defense thinking.

I seriously think Tyrod can't call a bunch of nonsense, have his guys move around, watch the defense and then adjust to a favorable play call on his own. In ofher words...he can't multi-task. Not a knock on him because he has other great qualities. But in today's NFL, the QB has to be smarter than the MLB.

As I recall, the QB's headphone to the OC goes off after 5 seconds or so. That means it's Tyrod vs the MLB for the remaining 5-10 seconds before the ball is snapped. If that was a boxing match, I'd put $100 on the MLB nine times out of ten. Not sure our guy has the street smarts to adjust on the fly so he goes with the call from the OC come hell or high water.

Sorry if someone gave this answer earlier. I didn't go through all 7 pages. Taylor was on the John Murphy Show today and talked about this subject. He seems to be under the impression that as he gains greater command of the offense, he will have more liberty to audible out of the called play. Maybe he's delusional, but that's what he thinks anyway.

Tyrod Taylor asked how much freedom he has to audible: "We're getting to that." Says he doesn't have free rein but getting more each week

That sure sounds like the Bills do audible and Taylor has been doing it.

Do people really even care about the truth at this point, though?

Dont ruin the thread. I mean Tyrod and the bills dont audible right?.?.