Why dont the Bills Audible?

MAJBobby

He also ranks in top 10 in QBR in the last 2 years... is he a top 10 QB?

All of the guys I listed have more accurate deep balls. TT throws every 3rd deep ball out of bounds. He has a good deep ball and had very good deep threats

But if I needed a deep ball I'd still take all the QBs I listed ahead of TT . That's leaves him in good category but he doesn't have an elite deep ball. If he did he would have no problem Getting it to Jordan Matthews or Zay jones or Andre Holmes 1-2 times a game

QBR has nothing to do with it. You cant really skew the stats I showed you. He was one of the best in the league at deep balls in 2015. There is no debate about it. Its just fact.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to see Peterman play.

I wouldn't mind it either. My guess is at what we will see is quicker decision making and delivery. Some really great short and intermediate throws. We will also see half his passes sail over heads or go WTF was that. Pretty much what we saw in preseason. May be better for this offense since Peterman is better at that than Tyrod and that's what this offense (receiver core/o line/design) seem to be capable of doing. I am not sure the results themselves will change much though. It will just be different way of getting to the same conclusion.

QBR has nothing to do with it. You cant really skew the stats I showed you. He was one of the best in the league at deep balls in 2015. There is no debate about it. Its just fact.

He does have a good deep ball.

But can you say with a straight face he throws a better deep ball than Rodgers, Brady, Big Ben, Luck, Ryan or Winston?

Edited by Buffalo716

He throws a good deep ball but it's completely an exaggeration to say he has one of the best deep balls in the NFL. We have had such tragic QB play here that none of our recent QBs have had any semblance of a deep ball. Before TT our best was Fitz and he has the worst deep ball in the league. So we finally get a guy who is above average to good at the deep ball and he gets way over touted. He throws way too many out of bounds to be in the top tier

Rogers

Big Ben

Brady

Matt Ryan

Winston

Brees

Eli

Flacco

Stafford

Carr

Luck

All are more accomplished and proficient deep ball throwers

That's fair but it is by far and away the best part of him as a passing qb.

You don't need 4.4 speed to be a deep threat.

Brandon Marshall is a deep threat

Larry Fitz was always a deep threat

I've seen Jordan Matthews get open deep in the NFL so I know he can.

It takes outcoaching the defense and that's a fact. When the defense lines up in cover 0 press or cover 1 press THATS when you take your shot. Jordan Matthews can 100% beat press coverage and get open deep. Same with Zay

You don't need 4.4 speed to be a deep threat and that's a fact

Rephrase: a good deep threat. He had no problem with Watkins. Hogan caught some deep balls and even Goodwin.

I think folks are going to be real disappointed when he actually has to play against real NFL defenses.

The backup is always the fan favorite-until he plays. But when he does, I hope he does well, but he will have the same O line problems and WR corp. Not good for any QB.

I wouldn't mind it either. My guess is at what we will see is quicker decision making and delivery. Some really great short and intermediate throws. We will also see half his passes sail over heads or go WTF was that. Pretty much what we saw in preseason. May be better for this offense since Peterman is better at that than Tyrod and that's what this offense (receiver core/o line/design) seem to be capable of doing. I am not sure the results themselves will change much though. It will just be different way of getting to the same conclusion.

He kept his eyes on receivers, he moved well in the pocket and had excellent awareness for a rook.

This will only get better with more playing time.

I've seen Tyrod go into full run away mode or bail on plays far too early when his pocket starts collapsing. I've seen it enough to know he'll never give his recievers, or himself enough time to hang in there and make the play.

If the first read isn't there fast enough and he doesn't have a lane to run, the plays over.

Wasted downs.

The backup is always the fan favorite-until he plays. But when he does, I hope he does well, but he will have the same O line problems and WR corp. Not good for any QB.

Total cliche. If it was Yates no one wants him in. Peterman showed flashes. Taylor doesn't have it, and Peterman might. That's enough for me.

I think folks are going to be real disappointed when he actually has to play against real NFL defenses.

And I don't think that. I think the opposite. Only one way to find out. Edited by likei've

He does have a good deep ball.

But can you say with a straight face he throws a better deep ball than Rodgers, Brady, Big Ben, Luck, Ryan or Winston?

He did that season anyways. I mean I would take all those QBs over Taylor over all of course. Not sure on Winston as I never seen him play.

He kept his eyes on receivers, he moved well in the pocket and had excellent awareness for a rook.

I've seen Tyrod go into full run away mode or bail on plays far too early when his pocket starts collapsing. I've seen it enough to know he'll never give his recievers, or himself enough time to hang in there and make the play.

If the first read isn't there fast enough and he doesn't have a lane to run, the plays over.

Wasted downs.

Total cliche. Taylor doesn't have it, and Peterman might. That's enough for me.

And I don't think that. I think the opposite. Only one way to find out.

Pre season games mean zero. If the staff felt he was ready , he would be playing.

I think he might actually be better suited for the offensive design and the receiver core we have. I don't think there is any question he would go through progressions and make quicker decisions. With our receivers and our swiss cheese oline that may be what we need. However, I am not sure the final result will change much as he will probably throw more ints and have spotty accuracy. I think they might move down the field more though.

I am not calling for it to happen but I have to admit I would be intrigued by watching what happens.

Wasted downs.

Total cliche. If it was Yates no one wants him in. Peterman showed flashes. Taylor doesn't have it, and Peterman might. That's enough for me.

And I don't think that. I think the opposite. Only one way to find out.

I don't think Tyrod has it but he gets a few more games.

But even if Peterman has some long potential, watch how quick fans will turn against him if struggles like all rookie qbs do.

Either way, we better be drafting a qb high next year.

Pre season games mean zero. If the staff felt he was ready , he would be playing.

Yeah I agree preseason means nothing but if you read the write ups on him and then watch preseason the scouting reports were pretty dead on what I watched in preseason. His strength and weaknesses are pretty accurate. Take a look:

What he does best:

• Not necessarily a pure/smooth thrower, but possesses a quick release.
  • Consistent footwork. Plays with a good base in control and throws on balance.
  • Great understanding of defensive recognition and where to go with the ball with the given passing scheme.
  • Good ball placement on short/intermediate timing routes.
  • Anticipates windows in zone very well.
  • Sees the field clearly. Consistently shows the ability to get through progressions, eliminating a read quickly and moving on to the next with relative ease.
  • Great overall feel and discipline in the pocket.
  • Athletic within the pocket and can burst to pick up key third downs with his legs.

Biggest concerns:

• Arm is limited.
  • Doesn’t possess natural power to drive the ball. Needs to coil up to gain zip.
  • Ball tends to finish low on the receiver the further down the field you get.
  • Lacks pocket poise at times tending to bail out right when unnecessary.
  • Feet can get a little frenetic when facing pressure.
  • Inconsistent decision making outside of the pocket or late in the down at times.

Bottom line: Peterman has seen his stock rise the more people find out about him. He is a very solid, steady player with a limited ceiling – but shows a great understanding of the passing game. His arm is just OK, but with his ability to see the field clearly and work through progressions combined with his natural feel in the pocket, he has a chance to develop into a middle of the road starter. He played in a system with a lot of jet sweep gimmicks, but has experience under center and working full field progressions in both the drop back and play action pass game. Peterman can step in and be a backup on most teams right now, with the hopes there can be tweaks with a few things mechanically and as he gets older to gain more strength in his arm.

I mean all that to me seems to be what fits our personel and design.

I think he might actually be better suited for the offensive design and the receiver core we have. I don't think there is any question he would go through progressions and make quicker decisions. With our receivers and our swiss cheese oline that may be what we need. However, I am not sure the final result will change much as he will probably throw more ints and have spotty accuracy. I think they might move down the field more though.

I am not calling for it to happen but I have to admit I would be intrigued by watching what happens.

I agree with this 100%. This offseason is a much better fit for Peterman. I just don't think we enough playmakers to score consistently.

I could see Peterman showing some Trent like games (good completion % but only scoring 17 points: game). And my only worry with that is the front office passing on drafting a qb high because they think NP is good enough.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

I agree with this 100%. This offseason is a much better fit for Peterman. I just don't think we enough playmakers to score consistently.

I could see Peterman showing some Trent like games (good completion % but only scoring 17 points: game). And my only worry with that is the front office passing on drafting a qb high because they think NP is good enough.

Yeah I definitely want them to draft a QB no matter what happens.

Yeah I agree preseason means nothing but if you read the write ups on him and then watch preseason the scouting reports were pretty dead on what I watched in preseason. His strength and weaknesses are pretty accurate. Take a look:

I mean all that to me seems to be what fits our personel and design.

I'm intrigued myself to see what he can do.

Yeah I definitely want them to draft a QB no matter what happens.

They will-but will they get it right.

I saw and have been verifiied by other Bills players Luke Kuechly knew exactly what was going in on almost every play. So i started thinking when was the last time we actually audibled alot instead of running just the play right into an already knowing Defense.

I could really only come up with all the way back to the Gailey offense that there was a decent amount of changing the play at the line.

Kinda hard to run any offense when you do exactly what is called and the freaking defense is calling out.

Is the the Conservative Offensive Coaching the Bills have had since Gailey? It cant just be on the QB because it goes on longer than just this QB

My theory going on 2.5 years is Tyrod isn't handling pre snap reads well.

It is easy to connect that to his not being allowed to audible, our struggles running a competent hurry up, and of course his throwing over the middle.