Sammy watch

dave mcbride

Unless I'm mistaken, Woods signed in March.

He had 5 months of time to get up to speed with the offsense and QB before Watkins even got off the plane in LA.

If you don't see a difference then I don't know what to tell you.

As for Rapport, please tell me why Jordan Matthews isn't putting up Watkins-in-2015 type numbers with Taylor. While you're at it, why is Brandin Cooks on pace for fewer receptions & TDs than in either of his last 2 seasons in NO despite playing with the best QB of this generation?

Trust/comfort level matters.

No he didnt have five months:

The off season program prohibits it.

There are phases.

The phases are as follows:

Workouts Cannot Begin Prior To The First Monday In April For Clubs With A New Head Coach Or The Third Monday In April For All Other Clubs

WORKOUTS ARE STRICTLY VOLUNTARY; Club Officials Cannot Indicate Workouts Are Anything Other Than Voluntary

Maximum 4 W/O Per Week (No Weekends), With One Week Being The Mandatory Minicamp (Not Permitted On Weekends)

CONTACT WORK IS PROHIBITED IN ALL WORKOUTS (E.G. Live Blocking, Tackling, Pass Rushing, Bump-And-Run, Etc.)

INTENSITY AND TEMPO OF DRILLS SHOULD BE AT A LEVEL CONDUCIVE TO LEARNING, With Player Safety As The Highest Priority

PHASE ONE | 4 HOURS A DAY

Two Weeks | Limited To Strength And Conditioning Activities (Dead Ball); Only Strength And Conditioning Coaches Allowed On Field

90 Minute Max On The Field

Clubs Can Only Specify 2 Hours For Players To Be At Facility

Players Choose The Other 2 Hours For Weights, Etc

PHASE TWO | 4 HOURS A DAY

Three Weeks | Same Rules As Phase One Except:

All Coaches Allowed On The Field

Individual And Perfect Play Drills Allowed

No Offense Vs. Defense, No One V. One, No Helmets

PHASE THREE | 6 HOURS A DAY

4 Weeks For 10 OTAs

A Maximum Of Three OTAs Each Week For The First 2 Weeks

During Weeks 1&2 A 4th Non OTA Workout Is Allowed But Phase Two Rules Apply. A Maximum Of 4 OTAs For The 3rd Or 4th Week, With The Other Week Being The Mandatory Minicamp

OTA'S | 6 HOURS

4 Weeks Total

3 Weeks For 10 Total OTAs

A Maximum Of 3 OTAs Each Week For The First 2 Weeks

During Weeks 1 & 2 A 4th Non OTA Workout Is Allowed But Phase Two Rules Apply

A Maximum Of 4 OTAs For The 3rd Or 4th Week

One Week For Mini Camp

No Pads Except Protective Knee And Elbow Pads, Helmets Are Permitted

No Live Contract

7 On 7, 9 On 7 And 11 On 11 Drills Will Be Permitted Provided No Live Contact Takes Place

MINICAMP | 10 HOURS A DAY

Physicals On Monday But No Practice

Practices Tuesday-Thursday, With A Day Off On Friday

Allowed Two Practices Totaling 3 ½ Hours On The Field Per Day

Second Practice Limited To Walk Through Activities Only

Robert only had the 8 weeks prior to the start of the preseason. June sometime. To be realistic the real on field stuff didnt happen until training camp start july 29 for the rams.

http://www.therams.com/ramscamp.html

But you are smart and already know this. Robert had no problems producing week 1 after roughly 8 weeks with the team practicing.

Sammy has been with the team since August 11, roughly 8 weeks. Its time for him to start producing, instead of producing excuses.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are a few lessons to be learned with this situation:

1) don't expect a player to have an immediate impact being dropped into a new system with a new QB with whom he has zero rapport

2) don't expect a QB to be anywhere near as productive/effective when you take away the only WR with whom he's ever had a strong level of trust

3) seldom does a player leaving a situation where he's been productive result in him becoming more productive; the grass is almost never greener

All that said, the book is not quite written on the trade yet. I like the way that Gaines has played, but ironically, his availability has been much worse than Watkins over the duration of their careers (and that's continued this year). Watkins, on the other hand, has been about the same as he was here: outstanding when targeted, but targeted far too little for the overall impact to be great.

I personally think you are overrating Watkins. This is his what, 4th year now? And what really has he accomplished?

Great receivers are great regardless what situation they are in. Hopkins in 2015 had ridiculous numbers from 2nd and 3rd string QBS. AJ Green is great from a mediocre QB.

If Watkins wants 10 targets a game like some of those receivers I mentioned, he has to prove he can produce on a consistent basis.

And while he makes very good plays sometimes, he just is not a great receiver yet and his stats/ apparent game plans from his offensive coordinators (lack of targets/focal point of offence) back that up.

IF the Rams find a way to incorporate him into their passing game in a big way prior to the end of the season, then it would be in his best interest to take a Jeffery-type deal with them.

I think I would characterize more like, IF Sammy can find a way to incorporate himself and consistently get open into the passing game, then he may be able to get that sort of contract.

And what I'm about to say here isn't directed at you but others. I keep hearing, "Have you watched the games, he's getting open and they aren't throwing him the ball".

First of all. bull ****!

Secondly, it's not as if you guys are doing an ALL 22 of every snap he's playing to determine he's open or not. You've seen a play here and a play there and have seen that he has gotten open for a few plays. I guarantee you that if you watched 80% of the NFL receivers you will find on average over 4-5 instances that they were able to get open and didn't receive the ball from the QB.

Just STOP IT! There was or is no conspiracy from previous and present QB's to not throw him the ball. Sammy has been an erratic football player, some games he's all world, and in most games he's either meh or a non factor. I guarantee you that his play isn't erratic from GAME TO GAME, but more so from PLAY to PLAY. I'm sure that some plays he blows his defender out of the water and other plays he just goes through the motions.

Stop making excuses for him, there is no conspiracy against him to not get him the ball. It's a matter of him playing good CONSISTENT football. If he ever wants to become elite, he needs to stop with his self-pity emoji passive aggressive B.S blame game and look in the mirror. He's got the tools to be a Julio Jones, but he hasn't figured out how to produce like a Julio Jones.

It all starts in his head.

I think I would characterize more like, IF Sammy can find a way to incorporate himself and consistently get open into the passing game, then he may be able to get that sort of contract.

And what I'm about to say here isn't directed at you but others. I keep hearing, "Have you watched the games, he's getting open and they aren't throwing him the ball".

First of all. bull ****!

Secondly, it's not as if you guys are doing an ALL 22 of every snap he's playing to determine he's open or not. You've seen a play here and a play there and have seen that he has gotten open for a few plays. I guarantee you that if you watched 80% of the NFL receivers you will find on average over 4-5 instances that they were able to get open and didn't receive the ball from the QB.

Just STOP IT! There was or is no conspiracy from previous and present QB's to not throw him the ball. Sammy has been an erratic football player, some games he's all world, and in most games he's either meh or a non factor. I guarantee you that his play isn't erratic from GAME TO GAME, but more so from PLAY to PLAY. I'm sure that some plays he blows his defender out of the water and other plays he just goes through the motions.

Stop making excuses for him, there is no conspiracy against him to not get him the ball. It's a matter of him playing good CONSISTENT football. If he ever wants to become elite, he needs to stop with his self-pity emoji passive aggressive B.S blame game and look in the mirror. He's got the tools to be a Julio Jones, but he hasn't figured out how to produce like a Julio Jones.

It all starts in his head.

Why are you sure?

Sammy's a rare talent but we all know it takes more than that to be an NFL superstar.

Rumor out of LA is that Goff and Watkins have no chemistry, and Watkins has been known to give up on certain routes. Until both of those problems are fixed I don't see Sammy's numbers changing drastically.

I hope Sammy stays healthy and has a great career. He was not ever into Buffalo it seemed to me. Met him once when I took my son for an autograph.

He's got great skills and the prima donna WR tude to go with and this just isn't the town for that. Remember when LeSean came here from Philly and was posting for sexy ladies to party with that first summer? Buffalo don't go for that.

Buffalo is more. . . freddy Jackson not marshawn lynch. Prove me wrong.

Sammy's a rare talent but we all know it takes more than that to be an NFL superstar.

Rumor out of LA is that Goff and Watkins have no chemistry, and Watkins has been known to give up on certain routes. Until both of those problems are fixed I don't see Sammy's numbers changing drastically.

....so why would he make a stink about it publicly in a contract year?......it should be an internal matter anyway, but to do so in a contract year ain't too smart IMO.....

AFAIK, that happened on only one play in a game against the Seahawks.

I hope Sammy stays healthy and has a great career. He was not ever into Buffalo it seemed to me. Met him once when I took my son for an autograph.

He's got great skills and the prima donna WR tude to go with and this just isn't the town for that. Remember when LeSean came here from Philly and was posting for sexy ladies to party with that first summer? Buffalo don't go for that.

Buffalo is more. . . freddy Jackson not marshawn lynch. Prove me wrong.

It's not about Buffalo it's about losing.

All other things being equal, all of the stars of the 1980's and 1990's Bills would have preferred to play in bigger markets early in their careers.

Kelly famously avoided Buffalo, Bruce Smith signed with Denver but the Bills had the right to match and did...........when the team traveled to places like LA they went crazy partying.......Talley, Reed, Biscuit, Thurman........they were no less complicated at that age than Sammy.

Our fanbase is so petty. Like clockwork there's a thread on every former player and coach of note. His success or failure is none of our concern anymore. It doesn't affect our team going forward. It doesn't mean that we won or lost the trade.

Edited by SoFFacet

I heard Gil Brandt talk about Sammy tonight, and while the guy absolutely bores me to freaking tears, he's one of the smartest talking heads in the NFL (is what he is). He essentially said Whaley -- like all GMs and owners will do from time to time -- screwed up with Sammy because he knew coming out of college that Sammy was not really interested in football beyond the money. No desire to hone his craft, not a team guy, and perhaps the most interesting comment: he's not a guy who would play this sport for free.

I was bummed when I heard about the trade, but perhaps we're not smarter than the people who do this for a living. Perhaps the Bills got the better part of the deal for this year because they know better than the average fan what is really going on behind the scenes.

I heard Gil Brandt talk about Sammy tonight, and while the guy absolutely bores me to freaking tears, he's one of the smartest talking heads in the NFL (is what he is). He essentially said Whaley -- like all GMs and owners will do from time to time -- screwed up with Sammy because he knew coming out of college that Sammy was not really interested in football beyond the money. No desire to hone his craft, not a team guy, and perhaps the most interesting comment: he's not a guy who would play this sport for free.

I was bummed when I heard about the trade, but perhaps we're not smarter than the people who do this for a living. Perhaps the Bills got the better part of the deal for this year because they know better than the average fan what is really going on behind the scenes.

Well, that seems to make some sense at this point....

Sammy getting his name called on NFL.com as the Fantasy WR Sit of the Week

http://www.nfl.com/fantasyfootball/story/0ap3000000862444/article/start-em-sit-em-week-7-wide-receivers

Sit of the Week - Sammy Watkins vs. Arizona Cardinals

Watkins, listed as a sit 'em last week, finished with 2.1 PPR points. He's now had fewer than three PPR points in three straight games, so this is more of a trend than an outlier for the veteran. While the matchup against Arizona would be a lot better if cornerback Patrick Peterson were sidelined, Watkins remains very tough to trust.

This. Jordan Matthews had surgery on his thumb 2.5 weeks ago and is at practice dying to play on Sunday. You can see it in his actions which backs up what comes out of his mouth. There is no reason to think this same injury wouldn't hinder Sammy for the rest of the year. Sammy plays for himself and the cash at this point of his career. That is why the Bills traded for Jordan Matthews and traded away Sammy Watkins and that is why Sammy will not live up to his talent level. Ask anyone, it's the ultimate team sport.

Another Whaley gem.

Another Whaley gem.

i wish we could talk about people with regular jobs like we talk about athletes. Word on the street is people knew coming out of college that Joe became an accountant for money. He's not trying to get his CFA. He's not a team guy. The most interesting comment: He's not a guy who would be an accountant for free.