Does McD give Bills an advantage this week vs Carolina??

ChanOverChin

McD coached the Carolina defense the past six seasons. He knows their personnel. He knows their schemes. He even knows HC R. Rivera's tendencies.

Does all of that give the Bills an advantage from strategist standpoint.

I, for one, say that it does.

I think Carolina is easily more talented, esp. on defense, than the Bills. However, McD could very well tip the scale in Buffalo's favor this week.

Your thoughts??

Problem is, Rivera knows McD's defense inside and out, and he has Cam Newton to take advantage of Bills weaknesses.

i don't think there's an advantage.

The difference being that he doesn't know Bills personnel the way McD knows Panthers personnel.

I agree, though. No real advantage here.

Problem is, Rivera knows McD's defense inside and out, and he has Cam Newton to take advantage of Bills weaknesses.

i don't think there's an advantage.

This. It's even as Shula knows McDs tendencies and Cam knows what that zone scheme looks like.

With Cam clearly still not 100% and McD not fond of Press coverage, that might work in the Panthers favor.

Ultimately, it's not a Question of Xs and Os but talent and execution and I think the Panthers have the edge, in general and more so at Home in their opener.

Rivera doesn't know Dennison's Offense though like McDermott knows Carolina o.

Shady and TT..... the End Edited by Buffalo Boy

OFFENSE - McCoach's knowledge of the personnel certainly can't hurt however even if he knows every play in their offensive playbook it won't help unless he knows their game plan this week.

DEFENSE - Advanced knowledge of the personnel should help McCoach and Dennison game plan and isolate the weaker links in the Carolina defense.

McD coached the Carolina defense the past six seasons. He knows their personnel. He knows their schemes. He even knows HC R. Rivera's tendencies.

Does all of that give the Bills an advantage from strategist standpoint.

I, for one, say that it does.

I think Carolina is easily more talented, esp. on defense, than the Bills. However, McD could very well tip the scale in Buffalo's favor this week.

Your thoughts??

It may, but that's a double edged sword. It's quite possible that Carolina also has deep intel on McD's tendencies as a defensive playcaller.

He certainly gave us an advantage in the draft...

We could have several advantages and still lose this game based solely on the difference in talent. If we win, I'd be shocked.

We won more games than the Panthers last year, are they really so far ahead talent wise?

If McDermott is smart, he trusts Frazier to draw up the game plan and keep himself out of it.

IMO, it'd be dumb to trot out there the same things he did in Carolina and expect it to be effective. That'd be something Rex would do.

If McDermott is smart, he trusts Frazier to draw up the game plan and keep himself out of it.

IMO, it'd be dumb to trot out there the same things he did in Carolina and expect it to be effective. That'd be something Rex would do.

Everyone calls the same plays, and disguises them the same ways. You'll change terminology, but in the end there isn't a right call for everything.

I expect them to come out and try and run the ball, and get mccaffrey in space. They'll use WRs to open up space underneath for Olsen and McCaffrey to operate. Going to have to tackle very well to win.

On offense - its going to be a battle in the trenches. We're going to run the ball, and they're going to try and stop us. Expect it to be physical, and for Tyrod to be moving outside the pocket to create space with their LBs.

Their LBs will be able to hang in coverage with shady and Clay, unless Tyrod makes 50/50's them and makes them decide. There will be space underneath the corners for our receivers to operate, and we need to get balls to the boundaries on time.

Edited by dneveu

It may, but that's a double edged sword. It's quite possible that Carolina also has deep intel on McD's tendencies as a defensive playcaller.

Yep, all things considered it may balance out to a slight Bills advantage, but adding up to far less of a factor than the talent levels and the home field.

I've always believed these type of scenarios are overblown.

Yes McDermott and Beane know the Panthers players, coaches, etc but it doesn't mean they are going to take an inferior roster into Carolina and win because of that. Conversely Ron Rivera, Cam Newton and most of the current offensive depth chart knows McDermott's defense and how to play against it.

If we do win this game it will simply be because the Bills are better and expected and the Panthers aren't as good as expected.