If building through the draft backfire how do you recover?

Cherrybone

I'm asking because I do believe this is a bold way to go. Eventually this will be a very young inexperienced team with a few veterans here and there.

The questions I have are, will the fanbase be patient enough after a 17 to 18yr drought?

Can you attract veterans with such a young team that's inexperienced?

The one that really worries me is what if these picks don't pan out? How do you recover?

I really want to understand and believe in the process. I just feel like it's like gambling your last bit of money away.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well in McBeanes defense, the best proven way to build a team is through the draft. Purging many of the team's recent picks is somewhat contradictory to this plan. The answer to your question is simple. if the new FO doesn't draft extremely well in the next couple of years, they will be fired and fans will get to enjoy " the process" all over again.

Well in McBeanes defense, the best proven way to build a team is through the draft. Purging many of the team's recent picks is somewhat contradictory to this plan. The answer to your question is simple. if the new FO doesn't draft extremely well in the next couple of years, they will be fired and fans will get to enjoy " the process" all over again.

And this is the scary part.

I'm asking because I do believe this is a bold way to go. Eventually this will be a very young inexperienced team with a few veterans here and there.

The questions I have are, will the fanbase be patient enough after a 17 to 18yr drought?

Can you attract veterans with such a young team that's inexperienced?

The one that really worries me is what if these picks don't pan out? How do you recover?

I really want to understand and believe in the process. I just feel like it's like gambling your last bit of money away.

If these picks don't pan out, we suck.

Back to where we've been for an entire generation.

No big deal.

I don't think it's contradictory if you think the previous regime did a poor job drafting.

Like it or not, we are hitched to McBeane until they prove or disprove themselves...and yes we're back on the next 3 year plan if they fail. What's the alternative to hiring guys and giving them a chance to succeed?

If these picks don't pan out, we suck.

Back to where we've been for an entire generation.

No big deal.

Exactly. Lol.

And "building through the draft" isn't a bold move. It's how every successful NFL team is constructed. It's not like baseball or basketball where you can buy a team of superstars.

I don't think it's contradictory if you think the previous regime did a poor job drafting.

Like it or not, we are hitched to McBeane until they prove or disprove themselves...and yes we're back on the next 3 year plan if they fail. What's the alternative to hiring guys and giving them a chance to succeed?

The recent records of this team would show that the drafting wasn't that poor. At least not talent wise. They weren't 2-14. Not being able to find useful guys among the youngest and most recent picks is a red flag for the creativity of this staff/ GM. There is no alternative to giving them a chance to succeed. But you only get so many draft picks and the end game of this project seems further away than it did 6 months ago.

Aren't you always building through the draft? I mean don't draft TJ Graham over Russell Wilson or Marcel Dareus over JJ Watt, Tyron Smith, AJ Green, and Julio Jones. Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

What the hell are you tapatalking about? MMQB much?

If you draft poorly in the NFL you are !@#$ed anyway. Free agency is a good way to supplement needs but you can't build a sustainable window of winning with a bunch of high end free agency signings. A high volume of trades tend to not work out either. You can make a big splash trade now and again if you are close to winning and need a piece to get you over the top.

In the end you have to build through the draft and the Bills have the picks to do so. I also think that the Bills haven't bagged this season all that much. Jordan Matthews and Gains may be less talented than Watkins and Darby but a healthy Jordan Matthews for 16 games is a much bigger contributor than Watkins over the course of 6. Gaines is a much better fit for the scheme than Darby too. So in a way they might be slightly better due to fit and health.