Anybody miss Whaley yet?

CDogg20

I didn't for awhile and then I did and did again for a few days but then didn't until the new guys did that one thing and then I really did but when they did that other thing I kinda didn't for a long time but then I did and when I heard about that one guy and the thing I really did but then someone convinced me I shouldn't until I felt like killing that dude so I didn't and then I don't know why but I did and not I think we both know what I'm talk about when I say kinda but not really.

I think the whaley "era" is muddy. To me, it was one general era of levy-brandon-nix-whaley. It was all a series of resignations, management take one step to the left, and repackage it, while outsourcing blame. The team used heavy collaborating between brandon, nix, whaley, overdorf, wilson until late 00s, etc... they were always acting as if the bills were only one or two pieces away... when the team would have numerous ailments such as coaching, depth, qb, secondary, o-line, etc...

Now we are seeing real, centralized football management. They are ripping the bandaid off. It stings, but they are building their program, which takes time. Im not worried about average age. That can and will be undone in one off-season. Many picks and possibly a qb in the 2018 draft... some growth next year and more 2019 picks and new-found cap space.

A lot rests on the scouts and talent evaluators

Edited by May Day 10

It's funny, if Jim Shorts was simply our DC for 15 and 16 seasons and everything stayed the same,I truly believe Whaley is not only still here, but we would have been playoff bound already and expectations would be sky high right now.

He had many faults but he provided talent, unfortunately when the O went from terrible to average-above average, Rex came and dismantled what would have been a consistent top 5-7 D under Shorts.

I think the whaley "era" is muddy. To me, it was one general era of levy-brandon-nix-whaley. It was all a series of resignations, management take one step to the left, and repackage it, while outsourcing blame. The team used heavy collaborating between brandon, nix, whaley, overdorf, wilson until late 00s, etc... they were always acting as if the bills were only one or two pieces away... when the team would have numerous ailments such as coaching, depth, qb, secondary, o-line, etc...

Now we are seeing real, centralized football management. They are ripping the bandaid off. It stings, but they are building their program, which takes time. Im not worried about average age. That can and will be undone in one off-season. Many picks and possibly a qb in the 2018 draft... some growth next year and more 2019 picks and new-found cap space.

A lot rests on the scouts and talent evaluators

THIS!

I really like what this new regime is doing so far. The stocking of draft picks for next year to perhaps obtain that real franchise QB! And in a class that I hear should be very good. Now I just hope they build a Dallas like offensive line to protect that QB.

I have a high degree of optimism going into this season thinking that these new people in charge of the football operations really know what they are doing.

As far as Whaley goes.. he and others have had their hands tied in regards to no real football mind at the top in Buffalo to help guide them. From what I see the Buffalo version of Matt Millen is finally out of the football side of things.

THIS!

I really like what this new regime is doing so far. The stocking of draft picks for next year to perhaps obtain that real franchise QB! And in a class that I hear should be very good. Now I just hope they build a Dallas like offensive line to protect that QB.

I have a high degree of optimism going into this season thinking that these new people in charge of the football operations really know what they are doing.

As far as Whaley goes.. he and others have had their hands tied in regards to no real football mind at the top in Buffalo to help guide them. From what I see the Buffalo version of Matt Millen is finally out of the football side of things.

If it works, they'll get geniuses. If not, they'll be morons. Time will tell.

I haven't read all of this thread. That is my disclaimer. I think that Whaley assembled a better roster than we have now. I am not sure that's even debatable. The coaching will be a little better so the results will be what they will be. In general though, Whaley has proven better at assembling an NFL roster than Beane. There is a reason that the Steelers loved him. He did a decent job. He just got stuck with Rex.

Perfectly said and I agree completely.

There is more than one way to build a roster. Kiko is a below average LB and he was traded for the best player on the team now.

Whaley traded away too many picks. But without Rex, they are a playoff team last year.

Just adding a little fuel to the fire here. After the moves that have been made recently is there anyone out there that misses DW yet? Been so many head scratcher moves lately I don't know how to feel about the new regime anymore. One day I love em the next I hate em. At least with Whaley we knew he wasn't gonna blindside us and his priority was to win now.

You do know Whaley will never be a GM again in the NFL, I doubt a team even hires him as a scout.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just adding a little fuel to the fire here. After the moves that have been made recently is there anyone out there that misses DW yet? Been so many head scratcher moves lately I don't know how to feel about the new regime anymore. One day I love em the next I hate em. At least with Whaley we knew he wasn't gonna blindside us and his priority was to win now.

Exactly...I would have never picked Khalil Mack in the first round and then Carr in the second round. Taking a WR who specializes in screens and giving up our next year's first round pick was definitely the way to go.

I miss his informative press conferences ;)

Ha! Well, they certainly did generate press!

You do know Whaley will never be a GM again in the NFL, I doubt a team even hires him as a scout.

He's a good football talent evaluator.

If he wanted a job as a scout or pro personnel evaluator I'm sure he could find one, but thanks to the extension he signed, he's being well-paid by the Pegulas to take his time and look for his next step.

Exactly...I would have never picked Khalil Mack in the first round and then Carr in the second round. Taking a WR who specializes in screens and giving up our next year's first round pick was definitely the way to go.

That would have been a disaster! What would we have done without Cyrus Kouandjio?

Good thing Doug Whaley was on the job. Seeing EJ's greatness, he was not taken in by Carr's false promise. He stood tall and Kouanjio he cried! And boy am I ever glad he did.

That would have been a disaster! What would we have done without Cyrus Kouandjio?

Good thing Doug Whaley was on the job. Seeing EJ's greatness, he was not taken in by Carr's false promise. He stood tall and Kouanjio he cried! And boy am I ever glad he did.

His persistent pushing of EJ as a franchise guy did him in.

You and I are on the same page...Amari Cooper, Derrick Carr, Khalil Mack....pfffffffff..please.

Sammy and Kouanjo are where it's at. Thanks Whales.

I'm going to have to disagree on the above.

How was he stuck on his guy, EJ? After EJ he brought in Kyle Orton. The following year Tyrod Taylor. The next year he drafted Cardale, and last year Peterman.

He put in a lot of effort and was not "stuck on EJ" IMHO.

Never confuse effort with results.

Whaley went into training camp with Manuel, Tuel, and Lewis as his QB's, not once which is bad, but twice...that is inexcusable.

Kyle Orton was a journeyman QB brought in at the last minute after Marrone blew a gasket.

Tyrod was not a hot commidity when brought in and all reports were Rex pushed hard for him.

Peterman and Cardale were 4th and 5th round picks, one considered a major project and the other a quality backup candidate.

When you consider what little effort and treasure Whaley put into replacing EJ and the fact Whaley was according to reports pushing EJ on the coaching candidates during the Rex hire, traded away the coach's choice for backup QB (Cassel) to elevate EJ, and allegedly pushed for EJ to start last year...I would say Whaley was clearly delusional to Manuel's ability and didn't do nearly enough to find a replacement when it was clear to just about everyone that EJ didn't have close to what it took to be a good NFL starter.

Edited by Billy Zabka

Nobody's perfect. Whaley bitching was way overblown here in Buffalo. Bitchers never realized that he had built the most talented team since the 90s. A top ranked D. The best run offense. But tragically for him, not in the same !@#$ing year. If the team made the playoffs, all the bitchers would never have complained about cap. Cap can be managed from year to year. You can't keep every high priced talent you find. We had them because Whaley was good enough to find them!

Could he have grown with us, who knows. Look at Beane. He's a rook. Making all kinds of rook mistakes. We're still paying for these mistakes. We all know this team is less talented than last year's.

Beane is going to get a chance Whaley didn't - he's going to be able to draft from the best QB class in two decades. Maybe three. And Whaley helped set up for his success by trading for the extra 1st round pick from KC. But life's tough. I thank Whaley for the talent.

At the end of the day, the team's owned by Pegulas, not us. Can't do ****. Cheer them on, and hope one year they get it right, or like in Carolina's case, got LUCKY with Cam.

Chances are, this clownshow Beane's about to get lucky next year.