Audi

Iron Maiden

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timing chain at 90k, and its about $1500.

My son is a buyer for Carmax, and proximity to the 90k number is a big part of the appraisal.

Other than that, should be pretty safe.

Probably not even a "chain."

Really is the pain the butt getting in there. All these innovations, safety, performance come @ price. You can basically let so much more go now you couldn't years ago. 1500 still ends up small in the grand scheme.

The idea is to get you into a newer car. Keep you in pipeline.

This.

Yes.

But the way they pack cars @ build, human labor is an issue.

My 2006 Chrysler was a Mutha to change interior heating/cooling blowing motor. One screw was right up against firewall. Other 4 or five no prob. Built by a robot. Replaced by me when it broke and after all put together, trying to get to "Lego piece" on bottom.

When I changed blower motor, those 4-5 screws went in, guess which other one didn't find it's way back on new blower motor! ;-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Autonation had one on the lot my son wanted to buy. The sales guy could have taken his commission, but said "no, you don't want to do that". The same thing my wife's cousin (a car dealer) told him, after we had told him. Eventually he gave in.

Back in the day my parents worked with a couple who had 3 Jaguars for the two of them. One was always in the shop. That's CRAZY! Hopefully the Audi issues are overstated.

Just bought an 2012 Audi A3. Anyone out there a Audi owner ? Would like some feed back about your experience....I did my research of course, and I'm pretty confident it's an awesome car, but would like to know what to look for as far as common issues....

Thanks

I had a certified A6 that was great until it got old.

I had a certified A6 that was great until it got old.

it was fun to drive bi turbo car

My son wanted an Audi. Several "car people" talked him out of it for service cost issues. Sorry. I have no personal experience. Hope it's not an issue for you. Drive and enjoy!

Find an independent dealer who works on them I did

Timing chain at 90k, and its about $1500.

My son is a buyer for Carmax, and proximity to the 90k number is a big part of the appraisal.

Other than that, should be pretty safe.

My timing chain was $800

I had a certified A6 that was great until it got old.ou got it for $800

it was fun to drive bi turbo car

Find an independent dealer who works on them I did

My timing chain was $800

I'm happy you got it for $800.

I'm simply stating what people who do this for a living value it at.

My son spends about half a million per week on used cars for his company, and that is what they value it at.

The bottom line is that Audi timing chains are very expensive. If you buy one near the 90k number, you will likely get a discount, because everybody, ex the retail buyer, knows.

Same goes for Carfax.

Neat service, but it isn't what people who buy vehicles at that volume and risk level use.

They inspect it themselves, and pay people to do those evaluations and price them.

My son spends about half a million per week on used cars for his company, and that is what they value it at.

The bottom line is that Audi timing chains are very expensive. If you buy one near the 90k number, you will likely get a discount, because everybody, ex the retail buyer, knows.

Same goes for Carfax.

Neat service, but it isn't what people who buy vehicles at that volume and risk level use.

They inspect it themselves, and pay people to do those evaluations and price them.

What about Carvana?

Was looking in the class recently and will echo that everyone I spoke to advised I'd be foolish to do the Audi out of the group. For the exact reasons several here echoed. My parents also own one currently that is essentially done for due to frequent and expensive repairs.

Same goes for Carfax.

Independent shop did it in Charlotte. Former mechanics who worked there

Thanks for the input...I'm aware of the high costs for maintenance...but in my case, I was willing to pay to get the " fun " of driving that car....I intend to keep it for 5-6 years...hopefully, the problems won't start until then....

That's what I did and then traded it in. Was a nice looking car and was an odd color

Never owned one. After the Audi 5000 problems, about 30 years ago, I was never attracted to them. The 5000's were famous for "unintended acceleration." There was a saying, back then, that if you were leaving quickly, you were Audi 5000'ing it.

Brake pedal was too close to the gas pedal