is jonathan williams next? - update: now cut

ronnieroscoe

You nailed it. Gotta change the 'traditional' Buffalo Bills way of doing things.

Yes, and our "expert" fans need to let things play out without making ridiculous comparisons to Jauron and "GM-because-you-begged-me" Levy.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I gotcha but that doesn't explain why the other poster thinks Williams was our #2 up until he got released. Not that I expect you to explain for him.

Well, the Bills could release someone from our PS to make room for him, but yes he can go to any team that wants him now.

or bring someone up to the 53? Release Yates and bring up Reilly? We can hope.

Classic message board hero J Williams.. Getting paid pennies and goes unclaimed but yet I see people here crying over his release.

Message boards are littered with many a poster who perished while repeatedly charging up the hill crying about some player we never heard about again.

Edited by Max Fischer

I think there are two factors at work. First, this season is not management's priority. No matter how much they spin, they're happy to dump talent at bargain-basement prices to build cap & draft choice capital for next season. That may be defensible, but is a bitter pill to swallow if (a) the firesale prices seem too low, (b) you actually had hope for this season, and ( c) you're put-off by the transparent double-talk from coach and GM. The second factor is there seems to be a trace of Chip Kelly-ism at work here, with the new regime determine to obliterate all trace of the old. If so, that's a problem because (a) it's petty, (b) it's a sign of insecurity, and ( c) it results in just more double-talk.

I'd just like it if every personnel move wasn't magically a question of "buying into the system", or "not being high character guys", or "not a fit with the scheme".......

1.The administration hasn't dumped any talent for bargain basement prices. In fact they have received equivilant talent based on past performance and received high draft picks as well.

2. There is no Chip Kelley-ism. Chip Kelley replaced a Philly hall of famer, traded a Philly hall of famer and treated players like they were college kids. McD replaced a complete buffoon who ran an undisciplined ship and destroyed an already poor culture to another level. Many of the players who were brought up in that NFL culture have been let go.

3. There is no double talk by the GM or HC. In fact, I find the consistent message refreshing. One of discipline and Team.

Your assessment of the direction of the team in 2017 is dead wrong IMO. You are spewing a narrative that is simply untrue.

The average team runs like 60 or 70 plays in a game. Just so I understand, if McCoy is injured who will carry the ball 30 times per game now that Williams is gone? Combination of Mike Tolbert, Joe Banyard and Taiwan Jones? That's some crazy drop off.

Edited by vincec

The average team runs like 60 or 70 plays in a game. Just so I understand, if McCoy is injured who will carry the ball 30 times per game now that Williams is gone? Combination of Mike Tolbert, Joe Banyard and Taiwan Jones? That's some crazy drop off.

It would have been the same crazy drop off with Williams. Banyard is just as good as Williams. McCoy is a hall of famer.

Yes, would also be crazy drop-off if JW was #2 and perhaps worse than current back-ups. Not every team has a great player to back up a superstar.

It would have been the same crazy drop off with Williams. Banyard is just as good as Williams. McCoy is a hall of famer.

Not so sure. At least Williams was young and had some room to improve... a chance anyway. These other guys are what the are at this point. If McCoy gets hurt then this could very easily be the worst offense in the NFL

Half the board doesn't want to listen to this stuff. After so many years of losing and hearing certain cliches from new coaches promising change, it falls on deaf ears from many Bills fans. Which is unfair to the new incoming regimes because they pay for the past sins of the failed promises from the previous ones, which is certainly understandable.

The good news with McD/Beane is that they have a clear mandate from the Pegulas to rip the roots out of this failing franchise and to completely retool it the way they see fit. They are completely conscience of the unpopularity from part of the fanbase of some of the moves they've made. What's inspiring to me is their confidence to make these moves knowing the potential blowback from the fans. And that everything that I've read and observed from them they are very detailed oriented and prepared.

Next year will define their future for the Bills. With all those draft picks and all the cap room they are freeing up, they know that if they are going to be successful its going to be about the evaluations and decisions they make leading up to the draft and the offseason.

the first year is about culture change, which will be really important with all the rookies coming in next year.

Yes, would also be crazy drop-off if JW was #2 and perhaps worse than current back-ups. Not every team has a great player to back up a superstar.

JWill got himself cut.......but make no mistake, his upside is greater than any of those guys.......which I guess is the point.

I guess I look at it this way..........normally you keep a combination of 11 WR and RB............and THIS team plans to line up in two back sets a lot..........so keeping 5 RB's and a FB along with the 5 receivers(3 WR and 2 KR) seems logical.

My only real concern is that without developmental talent in place.......Banyard is 29?........they might talk themselves into using a high pick on a RB next draft and they really need to get away from that mindset.

What has Jonathan Williams ever done to deserve such praise?

I'll wait..

I like the fact that fans don't like the roster moves. Everybody loved Whaley's moves because he was doing all the things a fan playing Madden would do. But if the message board has taught me anything it's that the fans generally don't know much.

Case in point, some fans criticize draft evaluations for using hindsight. :lol:

Aren't all draft evaluations and criticisms in hindsight?

I know you hate Whaley, but a lot of his "gems" were part of a top 5 defense. His downfall, obviously, was his undying commitment to EJ Manuel. But how many GMs find their franchise QB on purpose? He deserves criticism, but if you think for one minute that Whaley is responsible for the current state of the team, I would respectfully disagree. Terry Pegula, and his hard on for Rex Ryan, is responsible.

This team, after Whaley's drafts, trades and acquisitions, was a QB away from being a powerhouse. And that, my friend, can be said for a lot of teams.

What has Jonathan Williams ever done to deserve such praise?

I'll wait..

Answer: Nothing.

The point of the post wasn't that he was good or bad. Just that it looked to me that they must be thinking about moving from him. It seemed odd that he played late in the final pre season game and that they kept six backs if he was #2. Once Seymour got traded. I thought he might be next up. Apparently no takers so they cut him. 30 pages later I guess what I really provided was a thread for frustrated fans to get out a needed vent.

@christrapasso

IDK how many carries he'll get behind McCoy but IMO Taiwan Jones has more potential in #Bills run game than JBanyard. Jones is freak athlete

I get the outside zone + fast outside RB concept but it only works that way in any volume if the back can do some damage inside to keep defenses honest.

As McCoy found out in 2014 and 2015.......defenses flow fast to the sidelines now that the emphasis is on fast, coverage LB's.

That's why the scatback is dead and everyone wants 220-240 pound feature backs.