Bucky Gleason

WIDE LEFT

It never ceases to amaze me the basic lack of NFL knowledge on the part of guys who write for, and who get paid by the Buffalo News, to cover the Bills/NFL. The most recent demonstration was Gleason's column this morning, where he advocates just cutting Dareus and swallowing the $24 million cap hit. So it's clear, even though he is paid to cover & analyze the NFL, he has no idea how the cap works. Bills can't cut Dareus and absorb that cap hit because they DON'T HAVE ANYTHING NEAR $24 million in cap space to do that. They have less than 10 million I believe. They would have cut players like Hughes or Tyrod (or both) to create that kind of cap space.

But this NFL "writer" has no idea what the ramifications are of his ridiculous proposal. Doesn't quite understand how the NFL works. But why should he, since he has only been doing this for 20+ years.

They could trade him and get a cap savings though.

And they dont have to absorb 24M if cut.

They need another 8M (over his current cap hit) to abosrb cutting him.

So they absolutely can without cutting other players. So Gleason is correct they can do it technically. So i wonder before bashing maybe you need to understand the cap

Now that said no way buffalo should move on from Dareus

Edited by MAJBobby

I think this has been discussed before on numerous occasions, cutting Dareus that is, is not feasible until 2019 because of the way his contract was structured. This isn't knock to your post, just saying what I remember going around on here. Correct you are though when talking about the sports media and their ridiculous stories at time. When you read them and you realize your 9 year old who watches Sports Center and NFL Network with you. Not only could they put together a more coherent article, but could also come up with something better because he learned how to run a Franchise mode on Madden. :thumbsup::lol:

It never ceases to amaze me the basic lack of NFL knowledge on the part of guys who write for, and who get paid by the Buffalo News, to cover the Bills/NFL. The most recent demonstration was Gleason's column this morning, where he advocates just cutting Dareus and swallowing the $24 million cap hit. So it's clear, even though he is paid to cover & analyze the NFL, he has no idea how the cap works. Bills can't cut Dareus and absorb that cap hit because they DON'T HAVE ANYTHING NEAR $24 million in cap space to do that. They have less than 10 million I believe. They would have cut players like Hughes or Tyrod (or both) to create that kind of cap space.

But this NFL "writer" has no idea what the ramifications are of his ridiculous proposal. Doesn't quite understand how the NFL works. But why should he, since he has only been doing this for 20+ years.

https://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/195662-dareus-sent-home-for-violating-a-team-rule/

They could trade him and get a cap savings though.

And they dont have to absorb 24M if cut.

They need another 8M (over his current cap hit) to abosrb cutting him.

So they absolutely can without cutting other players. So Gleason is correct they can do it technically. So i wonder before bashing maybe you need to understand the cap

Now that said no way buffalo should move on from Dareus

I don't think the bolded is accurate. If traded, they save the amount of salary he is due this year which is $9.75 million, so they do create that room. But the Bills would still be on the hook for $38M spread over two years if designated a Post June 1 cut.

But much like the Browns, I don't think the Bills are inclined to move any cap money out to future years...they want to take the hits this year. That's why you did not see any cap savings this year on the Wood contract unless i missed it.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/marcell-dareus-7718/

Edited by plenzmd1

I think this has been discussed before on numerous occasions, cutting Dareus that is, is not feasible until 2019 because of the way his contract was structured. This isn't knock to your post, just saying what I remember going around on here. Correct you are though when talking about the sports media and their ridiculous stories at time. When you read them and you realize your 9 year old who watches Sports Center and NFL Network with you. Not only could they put together a more coherent article, but could also come up with something better because he learned how to run a Franchise mode on Madden. :thumbsup::lol:

So, if Dareus can't really be cut, and nobody in the NFL is stupid enough to trade for him and assume that moronic contract, why not just sit him? Don't dress him, tell him not to bother coming to the stadium on Sunday. I've been saying this for a year now, he doesn't really help the Bills. he sometimes turns in a good performance, but that doesn't make up for the distraction he causes, and he's going to be gone as soon as it's feasible to do so from a contract perspective.

At this point it isn't even about teaching him a lesson, as he's shown that he's not capable or concerned enough to absorb it. I manage a team of technical professionals, and have had people like MD before. Sometimes, particularly if they are politically connected in the Firm, the best I can do is just avoid giving them any important work, and minimize their negative impact on the larger team.

Gleason's column is directionally correct. The Bills aren't going anywhere this year, but they can start to instill the correct culture for long term success. There isn't really a scenario where MD fits the long term plans, he's not going to change, and he's only going to be a cancer.

Sit MD, send him home. He can collect a check and sit home and get high to his heart's content, whatever he wants to do, just stay the hell away from the rest of the team. Then, the very second it makes sense to cut him, do so. In the meantime, if some team is dumb enough to trade for him, be willing to give him away for a box of drywall screws.

So, if Dareus can't really be cut, and nobody in the NFL is stupid enough to trade for him and assume that moronic contract, why not just sit him? Don't dress him, tell him not to bother coming to the stadium on Sunday. I've been saying this for a year now, he doesn't really help the Bills. he sometimes turns in a good performance, but that doesn't make up for the distraction he causes, and he's going to be gone as soon as it's feasible to do so from a contract perspective.

At this point it isn't even about teaching him a lesson, as he's shown that he's not capable or concerned enough to absorb it. I manage a team of technical professionals, and have had people like MD before. Sometimes, particularly if they are politically connected in the Firm, the best I can do is just avoid giving them any important work, and minimize their negative impact on the larger team.

Gleason's column is directionally correct. The Bills aren't going anywhere this year, but they can start to instill the correct culture for long term success. There isn't really a scenario where MD fits the long term plans, he's not going to change, and he's only going to be a cancer.

Sit MD, send him home. He can collect a check and sit home and get high to his heart's content, whatever he wants to do, just stay the hell away from the rest of the team. Then, the very second it makes sense to cut him, do so. In the meantime, if some team is dumb enough to trade for him, be willing to give him away for a box of drywall screws.

The NFL collective bargaining agreement prohibits doing that. You can't send him home. You can't just sit him in the corner. He must be allowed to practice if healthy.

Here are the actual numbers:

- Dareus has a cap hit of $16.1M this season.

- Trading him now would result in dead money of $20.6M. That's instead of the above hit, not in addition to it.

- The Bills would get hit with a $4.5M larger cap in 2017 if he was traded now. They have that to spare.

- Please note that I'm just giving the numbers here, not advocating for trading him now.

https://overthecap.com/player/marcell-dareus/1830

Edited by BarleyNY

The NFL collective bargaining agreement prohibits doing that. You can't send him home. You can't just sit him in the corner. He must be allowed to practice if healthy.

Hmm, i did not know that. Do they have to have him practice with the team? does he have to practice with the starters? what flexibility does management have in this situation to mitigate the damage he continues to do?

edit: this is probably dumb but what if they put him on the practice squad? what are the implications for the salary cap in that case if someone else claims him? Or is he not eligible for the PS any more? I'm glad my employees don't have a NFL contract!

Edited by dorquemada

Hmm, i did not know that. Do they have to have him practice with the team? does he have to practice with the starters? what flexibility does management have in this situation to mitigate the damage he continues to do?

edit: this is probably dumb but what if they put him on the practice squad? what are the implications for the salary cap in that case if someone else claims him? Or is he not eligible for the PS any more? I'm glad my employees don't have a NFL contract!

He's not eligible for the practice squad

He's not eligible for the practice squad

I guess we know why he's such a smug jerk. Whaley gave him a contract that makes him essentially immune to discipline. What could possibly go wrong? I'm coming around to the idea of just cutting him and take the hit this year and next if need be. It's hard to imagine him having a miraculous turn around and becoming a productive positive player for the Bills.

They won't waive him, but if thy did my biggest concern is the Pats picking him up. Anyway, this thing has become overblown, he missed a bus to the stadium. Sure he has a bad track record, but it's not like he got in legal trouble again. He's a difference maker on our D when healthy.

Umm ... No offense, but you're the one not understanding the cap here. They could cut him with ease.