Bucky Gleason

WIDE LEFT

I don't think the bolded is accurate. If traded, they save the amount of salary he is due this year which is $9.75 million, so they do create that room. But the Bills would still be on the hook for $38M spread over two years if designated a Post June 1 cut.

But much like the Browns, I don't think the Bills are inclined to move any cap money out to future years...they want to take the hits this year. That's why you did not see any cap savings this year on the Wood contract unless i missed it.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/marcell-dareus-7718/

It is accurate click the litte X on that same link you sent me.

They could trade him and get a cap savings though.

And they dont have to absorb 24M if cut.

They need another 8M (over his current cap hit) to abosrb cutting him.

So they absolutely can without cutting other players. So Gleason is correct they can do it technically. So i wonder before bashing maybe you need to understand the cap

Now that said no way buffalo should move on from Dareus

Absolutely they should. Lazy problem child that only plays half time IF he feels like it. He isn't worth the BS, maybe he can do well else where, but I doubt it. I bet he would collect a paycheck and be his same self there.

I get rid of him now if it were me

The NFL collective bargaining agreement prohibits doing that. You can't send him home. You can't just sit him in the corner. He must be allowed to practice if healthy.

Maybe they have to let him practice, but they certainly can bench him, relegate him to 3rd string and then make him inactive on game day.

It never ceases to amaze me the basic lack of NFL knowledge on the part of guys who write for, and who get paid by the Buffalo News, to cover the Bills/NFL. The most recent demonstration was Gleason's column this morning, where he advocates just cutting Dareus and swallowing the $24 million cap hit. So it's clear, even though he is paid to cover & analyze the NFL, he has no idea how the cap works. Bills can't cut Dareus and absorb that cap hit because they DON'T HAVE ANYTHING NEAR $24 million in cap space to do that. They have less than 10 million I believe. They would have cut players like Hughes or Tyrod (or both) to create that kind of cap space.

But this NFL "writer" has no idea what the ramifications are of his ridiculous proposal. Doesn't quite understand how the NFL works. But why should he, since he has only been doing this for 20+ years.

They wouldn't need 24 mil in cap space. You have to deduct what he already counts against the cap. What's left over is the extra space they need.

Dareus' cap hit is currently $16.1 mil.

If we cut him, his cap hit is $21.5 mil.

That's an additional $5.4 mil, which we have room to accommodate.

According to over the cap if we cut Dareus it would cost us an additional $7.4 mil towards this years cap for a post JUNE 1st designation.

The Bills have $10 mil in cap space according to Spotrac. It would be stupid for the Bills to take up 75% of their available cap space to cut a player that makes your team better. Especially when they are so close to cut down day where the team would be able to add players that fit McD's scheme better than some of the players we have (see other Bills piece in BN about that). We need all the cap space we can get.

I get Dareus attitude is pretty poor. But this is a business. It sounds like (from the Ritchie situation) that the Bills have good enough leadership to keep him in check so he doesn't pollute the locker room. Plus the Bills are in asset mode and although a trade this year may not be in the cards they may be able to get some value for him next year. Besides the fact that cutting him would make the team that much worse and would kill the moral more than keeping him.

So Based on this I agree with the poster. Also Gleason sounded like an idiot at yesterday's pressed asking McD a question that he even admitted was "awkward" and made him stumble as if he was reaching for something that he could pull from coach so he could add it to his piece.

It's obvious that Gleasons pieces are pure opinion and when he sets his mind in trashing someone he does it. Whether his opinions are logical or not apparently means very little to his editors.

Edited by dezertbill

Absolutely they should. Lazy problem child that only plays half time IF he feels like it. He isn't worth the BS, maybe he can do well else where, but I doubt it. I bet he would collect a paycheck and be his same self there.

I get rid of him now if it were me

Have him play this year, show back up in a 4-3 and show that he is not the Dareus on the field teams have tape of for the last two seasons with Rex. Move him in the offseason when is value will be high as opposed to selling low now. That is the play if you want to move away from him.

This is the exact same baloney that was on message boards when Marshawn Lynch was being a knucklehead. Same thing with Gilmore. How'd that work out? You don't get rid of great players like that. Dumb.

Edited by Badthingsman

According to over the cap if we cut Dareus it would cost us an additional $7.4 mil towards this years cap for a post JUNE 1st designation.

The Bills have $10 mil in cap space according to Spotrac. It would be stupid for the Bills to take up 75% of their available cap space to cut a player that makes your team better. Especially when they are so close to cut down day where the team would be able to add players that fit McD's scheme better than some of the players we have (see other Bills piece in BN about that). We need all the cap space we can get.

I get Dareus attitude is pretty poor. But this is a business. It sounds like (from the Ritchie situation) that the Bills have good enough leadership to keep him in check so he doesn't pollute the locker room. Plus the Bills are in asset mode and although a trade this year may not be in the cards they may be able to get some value for him next year. Besides the fact that cutting him would make the team that much worse and would kill the moral more than keeping him.

So Based on this I agree with the poster. Also Gleason sounded like an idiot at yesterday's pressed asking McD a question that he even admitted was "awkward" and made him stumble as if he was reaching for something that he could pull from coach so he could add it to his piece.

It's obvious that Gleasons pieces are pure opinion and when he sets his mind in trashing someone he does it. Whether his opinions are logical or not apparently means very little to his editors.

This isn't about this year.

The Bills are finally building an actual foundation that they can be successful with for years to come. That means getting the right characters in the locker room and getting rid of the dead weight who isn't buying in.

Dareus has had attitude problems since the day we picked him. He's shown up to camp overweight multiple times, and has seen his play fall off a cliff since we gave him that huge contract. He either gets with the program, and shows he can be a guy they can build around for years to come, or he doesn't, and we get rid of him and remove a bad apple from the room.

The Bills aren't making the playoffs this year with or without Dareus. The question is solely; is he a guy we're going to have around long term? Based off his character, and what the coaching staff seems to be looking for, I'd say he and McDermott aren't a long term fit.

Edited by jrober38

Hmmmmm. Notice ot many of the "leaders" that are not selfish or mature have done nada

Marcell Dareus (@marcelldareus)

8/30/17, 2:37 PM

What's happening to the whole Gulf Coast is tragic. I'm donating $25,000 to @SalvationArmyUS to instagram.com/p/BYbfhgJhAKZ/

It never ceases to amaze me the basic lack of NFL knowledge on the part of guys who write for, and who get paid by the Buffalo News, to cover the Bills/NFL. The most recent demonstration was Gleason's column this morning, where he advocates just cutting Dareus and swallowing the $24 million cap hit. So it's clear, even though he is paid to cover & analyze the NFL, he has no idea how the cap works. Bills can't cut Dareus and absorb that cap hit because they DON'T HAVE ANYTHING NEAR $24 million in cap space to do that. They have less than 10 million I believe. They would have cut players like Hughes or Tyrod (or both) to create that kind of cap space.

But this NFL "writer" has no idea what the ramifications are of his ridiculous proposal. Doesn't quite understand how the NFL works. But why should he, since he has only been doing this for 20+ years.

Then by all means, continue reading his work and promoting it here at TBD.

:lol: