Brandon Beane ready for a chaotic 24 hrs

stevewin

Thought this was a really interesting article - a small look behind the curtain. One thing is for sure, I don't expect the roster Sunday night to be the same as after cuts on Sat

http://buffalonews.com/2017/08/29/inside-bills-gm-brandon-beane-assistant-gm-joe-schoen-ready-chaotic-24-hours/

The biggest impact, though, could come Saturday. In what could be a free for all, up to 1,184 players will become free agents at the same time.

Schoen has spent weeks overseeing the personnel department’s preparations for the day.

“We started narrowing down our focus and kind of have an idea in terms of projecting who's going to get cut, who's not going to get cut,” he said. “We've got a good feel of that.”

Part of that process involves building a board similar to the one a team would use for the draft, ranking players.

During the team’s mandatory minicamp in June, Beane had the whole personnel department, both college and pro scouts, get together. The goal was to make sure that the entire group was unified.

“I've seen it where college staffs and pro staffs aren't gelled for various reasons – sometimes there's fingers pointing of, ‘you know, you pay these free agents or you guys aren't drafting well’ – things like that. We've had them cross looking at things. We'll involve our pro guys after free agency in the draft process just like we included the college guys in this part. I think it's important so that everybody sees everybody's work and understands everybody's pitching in.”

That continued during training camp at St. John Fisher College, where the personnel department had a room to just “hang out, talk, B.S. about life,” Beane said. “We played hoops together. People saw the competitive side of guys. There were some moments when it got a little heated. But that's cool because everybody says 'man, if this guy wants it here, he's going to want it out there on the road. He wants to win. He'll do anything.' I really felt a great bond and the feedback we got back from the college guys as they left was super excited. So I feel great where we're at.”

Whaley's look says it all - premium nose candy.

his favorite sport is table skiing.

Awesome. These guys played hoops together.

Championships coming boys.

you have trouble with normal conversations...don't you?

I really feel like Beane is a leader of the personnel side. He isn't a scout he is an orchestrator who is going to get his guys working together. I'm encouraged by the way he operates even if I haven't agreed with all his decisions so far.

Yes, at the very least I feel like a level-headed adult is making decisions. That's pretty much the state of our team.

Wait, is he high, or stoned, and is it MJ or coke? More than likely not both. With a high pressure position like that, if anything, it's the latter.

How do you know it wasn't both along with a 6 pack he just knocked back?

Partiers are partiers dude. They just party.

I wish we had gone 2-14 many of the years in the drought.....we'd probably have a QB by now.

We are exactly .500 in the last seasons and close to that over the 17 years.

And still ... many don't want this team to tank.

I wouldn't be too comfortable if I was a bottom 1/3 player just cause I made final cuts...

I'd expect at least 5-7 of those players if not more to be replaced via others who got released from teams themselves. Have a feeling we may be seeing lots of signings and waivings throughout the season.

My posting history in which I accurately predict how bad certain moves are/how bad the team will be and then get flamed for it?

No. Just more the posting history where you don't actually discuss football like a normal person, but rather stick to snarky comments and constant negativity no matter how logical a move the bills may have made was. It so easy to be down on this team and be right. It doesnt make you a football expert in any way. On top of that, the desperate need to be right on a message board is kinda sad.

Time for a sword fight.

A sexy sword fight?

No. Just more the posting history where you don't actually discuss football like a normal person, but rather stick to snarky comments and constant negativity no matter how logical a move the bills may have made was. It so easy to be down on this team and be right. It doesnt make you a football expert in any way. On top of that, the desperate need to be right on a message board is kinda sad.

A sexy sword fight?

A sword fight like John Ritter vs. Jim Belushi.

I wouldn't be too comfortable if I was a bottom 1/3 player just cause I made final cuts...

I'd expect at least 5-7 of those players if not more to be replaced via others who got released from teams themselves. Have a feeling we may be seeing lots of signings and waivings throughout the season.

No doubt. This new final cutdown setup kinda changes the cut-down day celebration for a bunch of guys.

I really feel like Beane is a leader of the personnel side. He isn't a scout he is an orchestrator who is going to get his guys working together. I'm encouraged by the way he operates even if I haven't agreed with all his decisions so far.

He really seems to be trying to build an entire cohesive organization with a single vision from top to bottom. I think that is something the Bills have truly been missing for a long, LONG time. It's been the higher ups (aka old Ralph Wilson cronies) vs the coaching staff (and even the GM) for what seems like forever. Something starts going wrong and the scapegoating would begin. Players weren't always acquired for the right reasons either IMO. We had marketing with their hands in the pie, trying to sell tickets (etc).

Now all of that seems to be different, and it's what gives me the most hope. It's a very refreshing change from what has been the normal operating procedure at OBD for decades.