Jim Kelly vs Dan Marino: Better QB?

Good points but remember the last drive started on the 10 with no timeouts...IIRC

Funny we called a timeout that drive and had the two minute warning to play with. Yet we also played a no huddle offense that was supposed to excel at moving the field down quickly.

BUFFALO: 2:16

1-10 B10  J.Kelly 8 scramble middle (P.Johnson).               TIMEOUT: Two-minute Warning.     2-2  B18  J.Kelly 1 scramble middle (E.Howard).     3-1  B19  T.Thomas 22 yard shotgun draw middle, then left (E.Walls).     1-10 B41  J.Kelly 4 pass to A.Reed middle (C.Banks).     2-6  B45  J.Kelly 9 scramble middle (C.Banks).               TIMEOUT: Buffalo-3rd (0:48).     1-10 NY46 J.Kelly 6 pass to K.McKeller right (shoestring catch)(R.Thompson).     2-4  NY40 T.Thomas 11 shotgun draw right (M.Collins).     1-10 NY29 J.Kelly spiked ball to stop clock (0:08).               TIMEOUT: New York-3rd (0:08).     2-10 NY29 S.Norwood 47-yard FG wide right, no good.

http://www.hoffco-inc.com/sb/gms/25-pbp.html

Edited by The Jokeman

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny we called a timeout that drive and had the two minute warning to play with. Yet we also played a no huddle offense that was supposed to excel at moving the field down quickly.

BUFFALO: 2:16

1-10 B10  J.Kelly 8 scramble middle (P.Johnson).               TIMEOUT: Two-minute Warning.     2-2  B18  J.Kelly 1 scramble middle (E.Howard).     3-1  B19  T.Thomas 22 yard shotgun draw middle, then left (E.Walls).     1-10 B41  J.Kelly 4 pass to A.Reed middle (C.Banks).     2-6  B45  J.Kelly 9 scramble middle (C.Banks).               TIMEOUT: Buffalo-3rd (0:48).     1-10 NY46 J.Kelly 6 pass to K.McKeller right (shoestring catch)(R.Thompson).     2-4  NY40 T.Thomas 11 shotgun draw right (M.Collins).     1-10 NY29 J.Kelly spiked ball to stop clock (0:08).               TIMEOUT: New York-3rd (0:08).     2-10 NY29 S.Norwood 47-yard FG wide right, no good.

http://www.hoffco-inc.com/sb/gms/25-pbp.html

ok, wrong about timeouts. Sorry

Marino

I think that they are 2 of the most overrated players in NFL history but if they flipped teams the Bills would have won at least 1.

Overrated? Yikes. What constitutes greatness then? Kelly was Peyton Manning long before Peyton Manning

Overrated? Yikes. What constitutes greatness then? Kelly was Peyton Manning long before Peyton Manning

No he wasn't. I'm not sure how that comparison is valid? Manning had the dominant numbers of Marino and 2 titles. Peyton Manning is a top 5 QB. Edited by Kirby Jackson

No he wasn't. I'm not sure how that comparison is valid? Manning had the dominant numbers of Marino and 2 titles. Peyton Manning is a top 5 QB.

Ok, I misspoke. What I meant was Kelly had complete autonomy at the LOS, which Manning later did. What made them both great, and not overrated, was their elite ability to read a defense and carve them up regularly. That alone, not accolades, makes them similar at least.imo

Marino may have had more talent than Kelly. Kelly had the better team around him. Can you say "BRUCE"!

Really? Marino joined a team that the year before went to the Superbowl with everything but a QB and played in sunny Miami . Kelly joined a Bills team that went back to back 2-14 with snow & winds! Kelly had the better team?? - WTF????

Really? Marino joined a team that the year before went to the Superbowl with everything but a QB and played in sunny Miami . Kelly joined a Bills team that went back to back 2-14 with snow & winds! Kelly had the better team?? - WTF????

He absolutely did. The Bills built an AFC power mostly through the draft with a few key acquisitions via trade.

Kelly is the greatest Bills qb and a legend in Buffalo. But Marino is an all time great. Do people forget how loaded those Bills teams were? How many HOfers did they have? Those Fins teams kinda sucked minus Marino. He had to carry those teams. There's a reason why the Bills never missed a beat when Reich came in. We were loaded.

Also, there's a lot of revisionist history. Granted I was young but I've researched a lot of Bills history. Kelly almost single handedly destroyed the Bulls before they really got started. He was a terrible leader for his first five years. He also wasn't a very good playoff qb. But we were again so loaded, it didn't matter.

I loved seeing red faced Marino screaming at his teammates when we were killing them. But he is a far superior qb to Kelly. That said, they are both HOFers and both teams haven't come close to seeing qbs like that. I took that for granted.

With all due respect, I think the Bills winning has clouded your memory. Kelly had a great game against them in a wildcard game. In an afc championship game, Kelly barely completed 50% of his passes for less than 200 yards, had 1 td & 2 INTs, and we won. Could you imagine the Fins winning if Marino did that?

Kelly had 21 tds and 28 INTs in the playoffs. He was far from a money qb. We were so loaded it didn't matter.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KellJi00/gamelog/post/

With all due respect do you forget Marino walked onto a team with a top coach and been to the superbowl with a team that had everything but a QB??? Kelly walked onto a team coached by Hank Bullogh and went 2-14 the 2 seasons before - or did you forget those FACTS????

Context is important I suppose. They are both in the HOF and both belong there IMO. I wouldn't have Marino as a top 5 all-time QB and Kelly is in the 15 range to me. Most people would have them above that. Marino played with bad teams and couldn't get them over the hump. Kelly played with great teams and couldn't get them over the hump. I don't believe that Kelly was a top 5 player on those Super Bowl teams. As the QB you are obviously the most important but he wasn't one of the 5 best IMO. I believe that Jim's toughness and post career struggles have elevated his legacy.

Read the reply above ^^

Marino played with bad teams?> He walked onto a team that went to the Superbowl the year before and had everything but a QB !!! And was coached by a HOF Don Shula - yea Marino had it rough - and Kelly walking onto a 2-14 Hank Bullough team had it easy - incredible too read on a Bills board

Ok, I misspoke. What I meant was Kelly had complete autonomy at the LOS, which Manning later did. What made them both great, and not overrated, was their elite ability to read a defense and carve them up regularly. That alone, not accolades, makes them similar at least.imo

Lots of QBs did that at the LOS. It's relatively new to have so much coming from the sidelines. The amount of preparation that teams do now has brought about this change. The amount of scouting and breakdown done now is probably 10 times what it was even in Kelly's era. Technology has changed the way that prep is done.

I would take Kelly to win any given game. So I reckon Kelly was better.

Marino was amazing, great quick release, mind blowing stats for the time, but not the best with the game on the line. I remember him being rattled many times.

You mean how like Kelly won 4 SB's...oh wait.

If we remove biased, its unfortunately Marino...but I do love Kelly and had a blast watching his career. I also don't think there is a massive difference between them

I would say impossible to answer the question. They were both great. We would need to see both play with the exact same offense players to make a judgement. I say that they were both equals. Excellent quarterbacks.

The Bills offense had the ball for 19 minutes...scored 17 points and 370 yards of offense....I think he managed well with the amount of time they had the ball....Reed doesn't drop an easy 3rd pass when wide open......

+1