Jim Kelly vs Dan Marino: Better QB?

Marino was probably better, but Kelly was perfect for Buffalo.

I agree with this, Marino was a better passer. Also Marino was a gamer, he just didn't have the talent the Bills had. Kelly was perfect fit for what the Bills were doing here though.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. Now duck!

There is noway in hell Marino is overrated. He is at the top of the list of most passing categories. Tough to say Kelly was overrated too. He was a top 5 QB in his era. If you would like to talk about overrated QB lets start with Joe Namath & Terry Bradshaw.

Marino

I think that they are 2 of the most overrated players in NFL history but if they flipped teams the Bills would have won at least 1.

Normally I agree with you...but you really think Kelly and Marino are two of the most overrated players in NFL history? I am kind of surprised to hear that. I know I am going to sound like a total homer, but I think, if anything, Marino was perhaps a little overrated, and Kelly a little under...though, both in the HOF, so hard to argue Jim is underrated. I do know, with Kelly, as a season ticket holder through the 80's, his presence on the Bills roster elevated the team play, pretty much from day one. I suppose you could argue that Kelly was "surrounded by talent", but his physical skills were matched by his intangibles. His failures are well documented, but his level of success was pretty high. He may not belong in the "very elite" QB's in history, all-time...but I'd say he was on the cusp. Marino, to me, always had the rocket arm, the accuracy, but it just never translated into much team success for him. He played with a lot of anger, and I am not sure it really inspired his teammates.

Edited by Buftex

Marino

I think that they are 2 of the most overrated players in NFL history but if they flipped teams the Bills would have won at least 1.

....pretty rarefied air on that high horse there Junior...maybe you should call HOF Canton and start an Expulsion Petition......I'm certain they'd listen to you..........at least the admission here is free.......

Normally I agree with you...but you really think Kelly and Marino are two of the most overrated players in NFL history? I am kind of surprised to hear that. I know I am going to sound like a total homer, but I think, if anything, Marino was perhaps a little overrated, and Kelly a little under...though, both in the HOF, so hard to argue Jim is underrated. I do know, with Kelly, as a season ticket holder through the 80's, his presence on the Bills roster elevated the team play, pretty much from day one. I suppose you could argue that Kelly was "surrounded by talent", but his physical skills were matched by his intangibles. His failures are well documented, but his level of success was pretty high. He may not belong in the "very elite" QB's in history, all-time...but I'd say he was on the cusp. Marino, to me, always had the rocket arm, the accuracy, but it just never translated into much team success for him. He played with a lot of anger, and I am not sure it really inspired his teammates.

Context is important I suppose. They are both in the HOF and both belong there IMO. I wouldn't have Marino as a top 5 all-time QB and Kelly is in the 15 range to me. Most people would have them above that. Marino played with bad teams and couldn't get them over the hump. Kelly played with great teams and couldn't get them over the hump. I don't believe that Kelly was a top 5 player on those Super Bowl teams. As the QB you are obviously the most important but he wasn't one of the 5 best IMO. I believe that Jim's toughness and post career struggles have elevated his legacy.

....pretty rarefied air on that high horse there Junior...maybe you should call HOF Canton and start an Expulsion Petition......I'm certain they'd listen to you..........at least the admission here is free.......

Read the reply above ^^

Context is important I suppose. They are both in the HOF and both belong there IMO. I wouldn't have Marino as a top 5 all-time QB and Kelly is in the 15 range to me. Most people would have them above that. Marino played with bad teams and couldn't get them over the hump. Kelly played with great teams and couldn't get them over the hump. I don't believe that Kelly was a top 5 player on those Super Bowl teams. As the QB you are obviously the most important but he wasn't one of the 5 best IMO. I believe that Jim's toughness and post career struggles have elevated his legacy.

Read the reply above ^^

...so then why would you quantify them as most overrated?....I'm dense but lost.....they are BOTH deservedly HOF and neither are overrated.....what gives here?....

...so then why would you quantify them as most overrated?....I'm dense but lost.....they are BOTH deservedly HOF and neither are overrated.....what gives here?....

I'm not sure what's confusing? Most people hold those players in higher regard than where I think they belong - hence overrated. As an example I'd take Drew Brees over those guys 8 days a week.

I'm not sure what's confusing? Most people hold those players in higher regard than where I think they belong - hence overrated. As an example I'd take Drew Brees over those guys 8 days a week.

...ok, so it is a matter of opinion and I respect yours...that is is what SHOULD make this place work....civil disagreements....I have never liked Brees.......always viewed him as a "me stat boy" after he got a second life in New Orleans....his contract demands never took into consideration the team's overall salary cap structure......it was always ""me Drew" first......so we differ on views and that is 127% cool...no harm, no foul here friend...

...ok, so it is a matter of opinion and I respect yours...that is is what SHOULD make this place work....civil disagreements....I have never liked Brees.......always viewed him as a "me stat boy" after he got a second life in New Orleans....his contract demands never took into consideration the team's overall salary cap structure......it was always ""me Drew" first......so we differ on views and that is 127% cool...no harm, no foul here friend...

That's why this place works. He is also the only won to lead his team to a Super Bowl and has 5 of the 9 5,000 yard seasons in history. He will retire with more yards and more TDs than anyone in history. He will have the championship that eluded Kelly and will have eclipsed Marino's stats (and everyone's for that matter) across the board. It's possible he crushes those records.

Marino

Agree Marino is better; greatly disagree that Marino is overrated.

I put him in like top 3 all time as a pure passer...

Everything we Bills fans dream of in finding a real QB now is what Marino was then.

I almost love how Marino couldn't run and didn't event think to run. His job was to slash defenses wide open with his arm, and that he did quite well.

Agree Marino is better; greatly disagree that Marino is overrated.

I put him in like top 3 all time as a pure passer...

Everything we Bills fans dream of in finding a real QB now is what Marino was then.

I almost love how Marino couldn't run and didn't event think to run. His job was to slash defenses wide open with his arm, and that he did quite well.

I might put him top 1 as a pure passer but not top 5 as a QB. I have him somewhere between 6-10.

The Bills offense had the ball for 19 minutes...scored 17 points and 370 yards of offense....I think he managed well with the amount of time they had the ball....Reed doesn't drop an easy 3rd pass when wide open......

I've watched the half hour highlight show of SB XXV many times. Yes, the FG would've won the game but there were so many more crucial plays. It's agonizing to see the Bruce Smith tackle of Hostetler where a fraction of a second or one inch could've resulted in a fumble. Then there was Mark Ingram breaking several tackles to get a 1st down on 3rd and 17. Finally, there was the clock management at the end where the Bills could've easily ran a couple more plays to make the FG attempt shorter, especially with a pass instead of Thurman run on the last play. They seemed to play for the 47 yard FG, which was out of Norwood's range.

I've watched the half hour highlight show of SB XXV many times. Yes, the FG would've won the game but there were so many more crucial plays. It's agonizing to see the Bruce Smith tackle of Hostetler where a fraction of a second or one inch could've resulted in a fumble. Then there was Mark Ingram breaking several tackles to get a 1st down on 3rd and 17. Finally, there was the clock management at the end where the Bills could've easily ran a couple more plays to make the FG attempt shorter, especially with a pass instead of Thurman run on the last play. They seemed to play for the 47 yard FG, which was out of Norwood's range.

Good points but remember the last drive started on the 10 with no timeouts...IIRC

I remember Jim Kelly throwing Norwood under the bus - saying "We did our job. Getting to the 30"..............How the hell is that your job when it's out of his range!