Nate Peterman Love .. anyone vs. 2018 QB draft??

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything could happen, but this is the QB plan according to Beane:

“He's our starter. Make no bones about it... he's gonna lead us out there and that's really all we're focused on. Nathan's a rookie. This takes time, that's a big jump. He's making his progressions, we think he's done a nice job. Tyrod has played in this league. He's started a lot of games. He deserves this opportunity, and that's really all we're focused on is him being our starter this year.”

And this is the correct take by Beane.

TT should be the starter and remain the starter up until we are out of the playoff hunt or if TT really struggles badly before that point. Hopefully it won't get to that.

It's not an amateur take at all. They may end up being nothing alike but Trent Edwards came out of Stanford and was "known" for his quick release and decision making. His early success with the Bills was on a lot of short/quick routes, being quick to decide where to go with the ball and his quick release. He wasn't checking down in the beginning of his career. That sounds a lot like Peterman. And if you don't believe me go back and read what people had to say about Trent, there is plenty on this site and if you search via google. Or watch the games.

He became Captain Checkdown after teams took away the short stuff and made him look for longer routes. He would get rattled and check down.

It is an amateur take.

Just the way I see it for some reason. I can't see Tyrod having a good record after the 1st 6 games and and he may even be pulled (or injured) sooner. Ideally, I want Petermen starting week 1 with Tyrod going to Denver or Jax for a 2nd rounder.

His career record as a starter is 15-14 and why would you forecast him being pulled with the coach and GM firmly stating that this is his time as the starter. Your want of Peterman as the starter with Tyrod traded for a 2nd is not realistic at all with the season 9 days away.

His career record as a starter is 15-14 and why would you forecast him being pulled with the coach and GM firmly stating that this is his time as the starter. Your want of Peterman as the starter with Tyrod traded for a 2nd is not realistic at all with the season 9 days away.

thing is, his record really means little at this point. what matters is if he manages this offense successfully and that is no guarantee. the gm/hc are going to give the press and fans what they want to hear and not give any indication of a qb controversy, which there isn't at this time. peterman will start at some point whether it be the opener because taylors not cleared or if taylor were to stink up the joint, which both are very possible scenarios.

overlooking that or ignoring it is really just a case of denial or the fact that you and some others don't want to see peterman under center this season. when the reality is, he likely will be at some point with so many variables.

thing is, his record really means little at this point. what matters is if he manages this offense successfully and that is no guarantee. the gm/hc are going to give the press and fans what they want to hear and not give any indication of a qb controversy, which there isn't at this time. peterman will start at some point whether it be the opener because taylors not cleared or if taylor were to stink up the joint, which both are very possible scenarios.

overlooking that or ignoring it is really just a case of denial or the fact that you and some others don't want to see peterman under center this season. when the reality is, he likely will be at some point with so many variables.

You need to pay better attention or be quiet. I, along with many others who aren't clamoring for Peterman to start right away, have acknowledged that it's possible that he might start at some juncture this season. Likely? We'll see how the season develops.

You need to pay better attention or be quiet. I, along with many others who aren't clamoring for Peterman to start right away, have acknowledged that it's possible that he might start at some juncture this season. Likely? We'll see how the season develops.

who died and made you boss?

carry on copy/paste man.

Oh how that really hurts my feelings. It's not about being your boss, it's about you assigning falsity to someone when you're simply wrong. Study up son.

I'm not your son. I wont adhere to anything you post. you may think you're some important board member here and feel the need to tell someone what they should or shouldn't post. guess what, you're not.

also, I've followed your posts on peterman and you have been pretty adamant about it so don't play the right and wrong game, your highness.

I'm not your son. I wont adhere to anything you post. you may think you're some important board member here and feel the need to tell someone what they should or shouldn't post. guess what, you're not.

also, I've followed your posts on peterman and you have been pretty adamant about it so don't play the right and wrong game, your highness.

I couldn't care any less whether you adhere to what I post or not. I continue to be adamant that he shouldn't start right now and he won't unless Tyrod isn't recovered from his concussion. Where you are wrong is that I have acknowledged that it's possible that Peterman could play at some point this season. But post away as if you know. :beer:

Well my take on NP is that earlier after PS Game 1 that there was no way he'd unseat Yates. Well, crow officially eaten, and he has impressed. Will he start this year? Again, barring injury it is unlikely, IMO. He shows promise, more so than EJ ever did, and I was an EJ fanboy for a time. I'd like to see how he handles regular season defenses, where teams will game-plan for his weaknesses. Things he does well, are the things that frustrate Bills fans about TT, but then TT does things that we haven't yet seen NP do, soooooo there's a big unknown about him at this point. I trust McD, and Beane to know who best to start, and I think TT, assuming he's healthy will in fact start against the Jets next week.

Tim-

Well my take on NP is that earlier after PS Game 1 that there was no way he'd unseat Yates. Well, crow officially eaten, and he has impressed. Will he start this year? Again, barring injury it is unlikely, IMO. He shows promise, more so than EJ ever did, and I was an EJ fanboy for a time. I'd like to see how he handles regular season defenses, where teams will game-plan for his weaknesses. Things he does well, are the things that frustrate Bills fans about TT, but then TT does things that we haven't yet seen NP do, soooooo there's a big unknown about him at this point. I trust McD, and Beane to know who best to start, and I think TT, assuming he's healthy will in fact start against the Jets next week.

Tim-

Perfectly reasonable take. :thumbsup:

Brilliant rebutal.

I've already provided by response, I'm not going to repeat it for those that aren't able to see what I'm saying. If you think he's Trent Edwards 2, that is your opinion and it is my opinion that those who have that view on what we've seen from Peterman have amateur takes.

Tim-

He'll start at the latest if/when the Bills are out of the playoff hunt. Similar to last season when they started EJ for the season finale.

I've already provided by response, I'm not going to repeat it for those that aren't able to see what I'm saying. If you think he's Trent Edwards 2, that is your opinion and it is my opinion that those who have that view on what we've seen from Peterman have amateur takes.

I saw what you wrote and you mischaracterized Edwards in your original post and what he was asked to do with the Bills. That's not an opinion but sure base your opinion on that.

I saw what you wrote and you mischaracterized Edwards in your original post and what he was asked to do with the Bills. That's not an opinion but sure base your opinion on that.

Yes, that is an opinion. If you aren't able to tell the difference between a fact and an opinion, don't bother responding.

Yes, that is an opinion. If you aren't able to tell the difference between a fact and an opinion, don't bother responding.

Edwards throwing to quick/short routes isn't an opinion, it's a fact, because that's in fact what happened. Just like Peterman is doing. He didn't initially throw to checked down routes and wasn't constantly checking down, which is what you stated.

Only AFTER defenses took away his short stuff/quick read did he start to consistently check down. And he became Captain Checkdown.

Sure the comparassion is an opinion, but then it's no more amateur than you dismissing it.

Edwards throwing to quick/short routes isn't an opinion, it's a fact, because that's in fact what happened. Just like Peterman is doing. He didn't initially throw to checked down routes and wasn't constantly checking down, which is what you stated.

Only AFTER defenses took away his short stuff/quick read did he start to consistently check down. And he became Captain Checkdown.

Sure the comparassion is an opinion, but then it's no more amateur than you dismissing it.

I was as big of a homer for Trent Edwards as there was on this board, years back.

I am very familiar with Trent but at some point in his career he got to the point to where he often times would almost immediately fall back to his check downs. He wouldn't even wait for his progressions, he'd look to one receiver, see that he was covered (or believed he was) and then go to the check down. I remember it clearly to this day.

What we have seen from Peterman is nothing of the sort. No checkdowns.

Maybe Peterman will end up doing the same, but nothing that we've seen from him so far indicates that to be the case, until then, anyone who says that Peterman's brand of ball is similar to Trent Edwards is taking an amateurish take on the comparison, imo.

I was as big of a homer for Trent Edwards as there was on this board, years back.

I am very familiar with Trent but at some point in his career he got to the point to where he often times would almost immediately fall back to his check downs. He wouldn't even wait for his progressions, he'd look to one receiver, see that he was covered (or believed he was) and then go to the check down. I remember it clearly to this day.

What we have seen from Peterman is nothing of the sort. No checkdowns.

Maybe Peterman will end up doing the same, but nothing that we've seen from him so far indicates that to be the case, until then, anyone who says that Peterman's brand of ball is similar to Trent Edwards is taking an amateurish take on the comparison, imo.

Right, I got that.

In the beginning of Trents career he wasn't checking down either, he was doing almost exactly what Peterman is doing. Short routes, quick decisions and a quick release. That's where the comparassion comes from. And it's been mentioned more than just on this board.

Maybe I missed it, but no one is arguing or saying he will turn out like Trent, just that he looks like early Trent Edwards. I don't think that's amateur, just an observation.

There are worse players/QBs he could look like.

Right, I got that.

In the beginning of Trents career he wasn't checking down either, he was doing almost exactly what Peterman is doing. Short routes, quick decisions and a quick release. That's where the comparassion comes from. And it's been mentioned more than just on this board.

Maybe I missed it, but no one is arguing or saying he will turn out like Trent, just that he looks like early Trent Edwards. I don't think that's amateur, just an observation.

There are worse players/QBs he could look like.

Well, that is engaging in a pure hypothetical based off of Peterman taking a parallel path to the end product of T. Edwards and that is a separate argument than the one we were having.

You could literally put any rookie who is taking decisive quick throws and apply that into that argument. This is based off of what we've seen, not based off of what could happen.

Edited by Magox

Tim-

I can see where youre coming from. I wanted NP to supplant yates and he did. I dont think hes played anything close to good enuff to become the starter tho. Those 2 drives everyone was going crazy for vs det was vs 2nd n 3rd string players battling for spots, hardley as impressive as some make it out to be when you see what mahomes and trubisky are doing to the same caliber players. Nps short game is good but when the take away the short and intermediate he hasnt shown any other throwing skills to think he could start slinging deep outs, posts, and seam routes. It was really let down when i saw the game a few mins ago, the hype was bigger than the plays were.

Its a valid comparison until we see he can hit the deeper routes n back the defense up.

I can see where youre coming from. I wanted NP to supplant yates and he did. I dont think hes played anything close to good enuff to become the starter tho. Those 2 drives everyone was going crazy for vs det was vs 2nd n 3rd string players battling for spots, hardley as impressive as some make it out to be when you see what mahomes and trubisky are doing to the same caliber players. Nps short game is good but when the take away the short and intermediate he hasnt shown any other throwing skills to think he could start slinging deep outs, posts, and seam routes. It was really let down when i saw the game a few mins ago, the hype was bigger than the plays were.

Its a valid comparison until we see he can hit the deeper routes n back the defense up.

I don't know if you'll see that until the OL proves it can protect for longer than a couple seconds.

As for Mahomes and Trubisky allegedly showing better, not quite.

Hes certainly made the team but predicting that hell be elite is guesswork at best. If/when he does start teams will break down his tendencies and take away what he does best, just like they did to Tyrod last year and many other QBs early in their careers, and thats when well find out just how good he is. If Tyrod is putrid in the first quarter of the season Peterman might get a shot by game five or six. If Tyrod is average I think Peterman continues to sit which IMO would be the best thing for his development. It would be great to not have to pick a qb next year and use all those picks on other needs. Maybe the Bills got lucky for a change. It would be nice.

Problem is, you won't know until a defense challenges him and takes away the short/quick throws. The 2 times I saw it happen, both against the Ravens, he almost threw an interception and he almost fumbled scrambling. Need to see more of what he's capable of doing in those situations.

He didn't ALMOST fumble, he did on our own 5 yard line.

He did a good job to fight for it and get it back however. That almost pick was really close.

The kid doesn't handle pressure well at the moment. Hopefully that's one of the things he's going to learn in "the process".

So if he has no noticeable downside why do you think he was a day 3 pick?

Is he a different player than 6 months ago, or do you have a better eye than everyone in the NFL?

Brady was a sixth round pick and I know he would be great, so shut up and listen to me.

I posted this in another thread after someone brought up Matt Barkley, but it should go here... A lot of guys here don't want to hear this but Matt Barkley is the perfect comparison to Nathan Peterman coming out of college. Has 90% of what you want out of your quarterback except he has a rag arm, and you cannot compete in the NFL with the rag arm. Barkley had the anticipation and accuracy and quick release and all the experience and leadership. I wouldn't have drafted him in any round because he couldn't make all the throws. If Peterman's is a good amount stronger than Barkley he has a chance. But if it's closer to Barkley than not he won't succeed.

I posted this in another thread after someone brought up Matt Barkley, but it should go here... A lot of guys here don't want to hear this but Matt Barkley is the perfect comparison to Nathan Peterman coming out of college. Has 90% of what you want out of your quarterback except he has a rag arm, and you cannot compete in the NFL with the rag arm. Barkley had the anticipation and accuracy and quick release and all the experience and leadership. I wouldn't have drafted him in any round because he couldn't make all the throws. If Peterman's is a good amount stronger than Barkley he has a chance. But if it's closer to Barkley than not he won't succeed.

...paging Brady Quinn......r u STILL in the Green Room?....."anticipation" is a major criteria.....for who I don't know.....Barkely comes from the long list of hugely successful USC QB's............

...paging Brady Quinn......r u STILL in the Green Room?....."anticipation" is a major criteria.....for who I don't know.....Barkely comes from the long list of hugely successful USC QB's............

Brady Quinn had a good arm. I'm only talking rag arms. And from what I have seen and read, that has been Barkley's problem.

3 - Peterman shows rhythm

Throughout much of the preseason if theres one trait that rookie QB Nate Peterman has demonstrated on a consistent basis, its an ability to throw in rhythm and on time. In Rick Dennisons timing-based passing game, its proven to be a valuable strength.

I thought he was sharp. He moved the offense, said McDermott. I liked what he did and he got into a rhythm. I thought Rico (Dennison) did a good job. Then we mixed in some runs, and some passes and stayed pretty balanced and we were able to get points on the first drive, which was pretty important.

3 - Peterman shows rhythm

Throughout much of the preseason if theres one trait that rookie QB Nate Peterman has demonstrated on a consistent basis, its an ability to throw in rhythm and on time. In Rick Dennisons timing-based passing game, its proven to be a valuable strength.

I thought he was sharp. He moved the offense, said McDermott. I liked what he did and he got into a rhythm. I thought Rico (Dennison) did a good job. Then we mixed in some runs, and some passes and stayed pretty balanced and we were able to get points on the first drive, which was pretty important.

...so what about this yapping citing his "noodle arm"?.....I must be watching the WRONG kid...............

What does noodle arm have to do with rhythm? Everything in the post you referenced has zero to do with arm strength.

...believe you misunderstood.....the "detractors" cite his "suspect arm strength" whereas I have yet to see it as a deficiency in his pre-season action....for some, it is an alleged "deterrent"...for me, nope...I like his arm.....