Define the philosophy: first offseason

NoSaint

Copycats of Nba's 76ers Trust the Process tanking style Gm's are a thing now.

Time will tell if it works, or we end up drafting bums like the Browns do.

If anything the Jets are more like the sixers then we are, as a sixer fan ive been trusting the process far too long now

Sacrifice of mediocre short term returns for potential long term big gains.

This team was/is going nowhere this season, and we finally have a regime in place who understands that and is doing something about it, rather than try to sell rotten garbage to the fan base proclaiming it to be filet mignon.

This is cause for celebration if you are a Bills fan.

Sacrifice of mediocre short term returns for potential long term big gains.

This team was/is going nowhere this season, and we finally have a regime in place who understands that and is doing something about it, rather than try to sell rotten garbage to the fan base proclaiming it to be filet mignon.

This is cause for celebration if you are a Bills fan.

You way that but a number of moves this offseason contradict it. How does TT, KW, etc... fit your defined philosophy? Or is the argument that they were as mediocre at being bad as they have been when trying to be good?

Establish a character-based culture of team players who commit to the process and put the greater good before their individual interests.

Install systems that will help ensure sustained success and that don't depend on any one or two "star" players (i.e., a complete rejection of Whaley's "six star players" approach).

Place a value on positions, types of players for each position, and specific players on the roster and stick to that value even if it means losing the player to a higher bid.

Look ahead strategically to trends within the league, the upcoming draft and free agency pool, and the cap situation.

Short term pain long term gain

draft picks rain heres a tank.

How do you reconcile TT, KW, etc... in a full tank though?

Really what I'm trying to get at a bit is whether they stuck to a true philosophy or were half pregnant in their approach.

The only overreaching thing I can find is that they prioritized character over talent in the race to a 2018 qb. Essentially rounding up guys that would keep it from being a clown show and losing the roster before they even start building( Kyle, boldin, Tolbert, etc..) but not truly wanting to win now.

I could then foresee Sammy being trouble in that win later atmosphere. It'll be interesting to see what comes of McCoy if I'm accurate in that assessment.

If forced to define the philosophy of this offseason, how would you define the moves in a short statement or two?

Culture over immediate competitiveness, with an eye towards 2018?

Building through the draft. Finding players that can fit your schemes/coaching. No one is bigger than the game.

How do you reconcile TT, KW, etc... in a full tank though?

Really what I'm trying to get at a bit is whether they stuck to a true philosophy or were half pregnant in their approach.

The only overreaching thing I can find is that they prioritized character over talent in the race to a 2018 qb. Essentially rounding up guys that would keep it from being a clown show and losing the roster before they even start building( Kyle, boldin, Tolbert, etc..) but not truly wanting to win now.

I could then foresee Sammy being trouble in that win later atmosphere. It'll be interesting to see what comes of McCoy if I'm accurate in that assessment.

See that half pregnant stunt is whats gonna piss me off. They sold the fanbase its team throughout the offseason and then change the best WR in mid-August? I can understand why they did it, but I didnt like how they did that.

Looking for Jim Kelly 2.0, Please end the drought.

Josh Allen, Mason Rudolph, Josh Rosen, Sam Darnold?

If Tyrod doesn't take it to the next level you can make this post a monument. Could even happen before or during the season. This regime is serious about building a contender. And...know exactly what they are doing.

Looking for Jim Kelly 2.0, Please end the drought.

Josh Allen, Mason Rudolph, Josh Rosen, Sam Darnold?

I'm all about the Rosen trade. I think Darnold falls back this year. Problem is, we won't be rock bottom enough to pick the top guy. I like Rudolph but he is far from a sure thing.

If you're going to be bad, go all the way. Start the young qbs, get rid of high price contracts. I though we were going 7/9 or 8-8 this season but I could have seen us sneaking into the playoffs with some breaks before these trades. Now, I see a 5-11, 6-10 team. That's leave us in qb purgatory at draft time.

Give up your best weapon on offense for a second round pick so that I can watch another year of a sub par product. Oh right this years team was not gonna go far. But somehow with 2 more draft picks we are gonna win the super bowl.

Edited by nedboy7

Build a new team, simple.

Right, but with what goals and metrics of success in mind? If you are beane or McD what lens are you making decisions through and or what are the benchmarks of success you judge them across? "Different, but win now and save all our resources for later" isn't a philosophy or strategy

I sat down to watch the preseason game this morning. I was so excited for it. Then I saw the first 3 passes to Watkins. I realized this is not a team that believes in itself. They traded their most entertaining and best player. I cant watch this product.

Use two draft picks to draft WR and CB wash rinse repeat. I thought the organization was bad under Wilson it could now actually be worse. So far Pegula has promoted Russ Brandon, hired Rex Ryan, then allowed Rex to hire his brother, let Rex fire his OC after two games. Hired first time HC and first time GM who are now trading players they will have to replace with the draft pick they received for said players. Matthews is a nice number two WR so Watkins has to be replaced. I know nothing about Gaines other than he had a decent year a few years ago and had the same injury as Watkins. I get the franchise QB thing, but providing they found a willing partner they already had what the needed to get their QB. So as I said what you have is wash rinse repeat.

See that half pregnant stunt is whats gonna piss me off. They sold the fanbase its team throughout the offseason and then change the best WR in mid-August? I can understand why they did it, but I didnt like how they did that.

He is only the best WR when he is on the field.

They evaluated him during camp / preseason and determined whether it is recovery from conditioning, attitude, contract demands to extend, etc that it would be better to move on now than later.

That's my issue. Trade Shady, build around Sammy.

One way to keep trainers and doctors busy.

Give up your best weapon on offense for a second round pick so that I can watch another year of a sub par product. Oh right this years team was not gonna go far. But somehow with 2 more draft picks we are gonna win the super bowl.

Maybe they are trying to get rid of some fans as players who would not buy in? If so success.