Bills trade Sammy Watkins to Rams for CB Gaines, 2nd rd pick

Roundybout

As I've said over and over: Taylor only ever developed a real comfort level with one player--Sammy.

Sammy is gone now, and it's going to hurt the offense in a big way.

Taylor doesn't have that I-know-I-can-go-to-this-guy player anymore, and the OC doesn't have the player that forces defensive coordinators to build their game plan around stopping him.

It portends bad things.

As I've said over and over: Taylor only ever developed a real comfort level with one player--Sammy.

Sammy is gone now, and it's going to hurt the offense in a big way.

Taylor doesn't have that I-know-I-can-go-to-this-guy player anymore, and the OC doesn't have the player that forces defensive coordinators to build their game plan around stopping him.

It portends bad things.

McCoy is the one player on offense who must be accounted for by game planning.

McCoy is the one player on offense who must be accounted for by game planning.

Indeed...though I should've made clear that I was referring to the passing game.

No, it is trolling, as 26CB said.

Not trolling IMO--I simply think that JohnBonham doesn't quite understand the point.

Indeed...though I should've made clear that I was referring to the passing game.

Not trolling IMO--I simply think that JohnBonham doesn't quite understand the point.

Agreed. With the departure of Sammy, there's no one in the passing game who requires any special attention.

With regard to the poster in question, it's both a lack of understanding in concert with trolling.

Anybody hoping that Goff would be as bad as last year, will likely be disappointed. Looking very good in two preseason appearances, with lots of weapons around him now. Looks like Kupp is his first look, though.

Anybody hoping that Goff would be as bad as last year, will likely be disappointed. Looking very good in two preseason appearances, with lots of weapons around him now. Looks like Kupp is his first look, though.

He literally had one of the worst rookie campaigns ever for a QB so it's not like an improvement will mean much unless he improves a ton. He does seem to have some weapons to throw to now so we shall see what kind of step up he takes.

He literally had one of the worst rookie campaigns ever for a QB so it's not like an improvement will mean much unless he improves a ton. He does seem to have some weapons to throw to now so we shall see what kind of step up he takes.

See Peyton Manning's rookie season. Just give the kid some time and a supporting cast. There are only some many Dak's that walk into the best O'line and great running game.

Edited by Real McCoy

Yup, he was slinging it last night and looked good doin it. Of course, it is only preseason.

Upon review, I wish Sammy was still on the team...have his jersey his autographs and thought this was his breakout year.

I also agree that TT likes to throw to his guys that he trusts and although Sammy will be missed - maybe its me but Taylor really seemed to get in sync with TE Clay.

Very possibly the top Catches may not even be a WR --- Clay and McCoy could both be in top 3.

May be in a different topic but wonder which shiny new WR will have the most catches and Rec yards for Bills?

Agreed. With the departure of Sammy, there's no one in the passing game who requires any special attention.

With regard to the poster in question, it's both a lack of understanding in concert with trolling.

Don't know how many times I have to concede that, although we got just as if not more productive a WR back, we lost a more talented WR.

If voicing a preference for production over talent, on a Bills message board, is trolling, then yes I'm trolling.

@AroundTheNFL

Rams 24, Raiders 21

1. Sammy Watkins' impact on the Los Angeles Rams' offense was apparent on the first drive of the game. The former Bills wide receiver, who was acquired in a trade prior to L.A.'s preseason opener, didn't see a target on the Rams' opening drive in Oakland, but his presence opened up opportunities for Robert Woods at the sticks and then Todd Gurley behind the line. For the first time in what feels like forever, Jared Goff successfully set up the run with Gurley, and then executed a gut-punch play-action touchdown pass to a wide-open Cooper Kupp -- who, after his six-catch, 70-yard outing -- is without a doubt Goff's preferred receiver. Maybe we're lending too much credit to Watkins and his two catches for eight yards; many variables, including the strength of the suspect Raiders secondary, factored into the Rams' strong start. Regardless, there's reason for optimism in Rams Land. With Watkins in the lineup, their offense looks and moves like a professional operation -- finally.

If Sammy can stay healthy and Goff can progress in his 2nd year Sammy could have his best season. I am not a fan of picking a WR with a top 5 pick and I was definitely not a fan of trading up and picking a WR. When that trade happened I was 100% sure that we were taking Kalil Mack.

@AroundTheNFL

Rams 24, Raiders 21

1. Sammy Watkins' impact on the Los Angeles Rams' offense was apparent on the first drive of the game. The former Bills wide receiver, who was acquired in a trade prior to L.A.'s preseason opener, didn't see a target on the Rams' opening drive in Oakland, but his presence opened up opportunities for Robert Woods at the sticks and then Todd Gurley behind the line. For the first time in what feels like forever, Jared Goff successfully set up the run with Gurley, and then executed a gut-punch play-action touchdown pass to a wide-open Cooper Kupp -- who, after his six-catch, 70-yard outing -- is without a doubt Goff's preferred receiver. Maybe we're lending too much credit to Watkins and his two catches for eight yards; many variables, including the strength of the suspect Raiders secondary, factored into the Rams' strong start. Regardless, there's reason for optimism in Rams Land. With Watkins in the lineup, their offense looks and moves like a professional operation -- finally.

So even on the Rams he is a soon to be 15+ million dollar decoy? =p

Can Jordan Matthews (or any other current Bills' WR) impact defenses even when he's not getting the ball? Nope!

well sure they can. If you have a burner, the defense has to account for that regardless of whether or not he gets the ball.