Bills trade Sammy Watkins to Rams for CB Gaines, 2nd rd pick

Roundybout

If the argument is that they aren't going to use him, and therefore he wasn't worth what he wants to be paid, then at least the trade makes sense on its face.

The implication of that, however, is quite disturbing: the team does not feel that a WR of Watkins' caliber is part of assembling a championship team?

Yes, Sammy makes every team in the league better. But team building in complex. This is partially where I see the real value of analytics (Not when to punt or whatever). Analyzing contracts, cap allocations, draft pick investments, etc., and comparing to successful championship teams. How do winning teams allocate their resources?

Edited by SWATeam

I don't remember Watkins lowering his head to pick up a 1st down. He's talented, but that doesn't mean he's one for contact or going over the middle.

He did that last week in the 1st preseason game against MIN. BTW, he's not a RB and Throwing OTM hasn't exactly been a strong suit of his QB the last two seasons.

Leroi always used to say Sammy was soft (called him Samantha) and that was even when Whaley was still here. He did or still works there and I always hoped it was just his personal opinion and not that of the organization. He posted about it multiple times. That he had to prove he wasn't soft, etc. Just saying I think it goes back further than what the new HC and GM think. Could be ownership. Or, both FOs saw the same thing.

No wonder Bolden insinuated that he's a diva.

Are you saying Boldin didn't say that the Bills don't have a diva mentality in the WR's room the day after Sammy was traded?

He responded to a question that was posed by Carucci. You obviously didn't see the interview because he didn't bring that subject up out of thin air.

I don't remember Watkins lowering his head to pick up a 1st down. He's talented, but that doesn't mean he's one for contact or going over the middle.

This is all I mean, I'm not saying Sammy is a crap receiver or anything. He's obviously a great receiver when he's healthy on the field but I also don't think he's the kind of receiver you throw screens to. I always thought that was an overblown complaint.

This is all I mean, I'm not saying Sammy is a crap receiver or anything. He's obviously a great receiver when he's healthy on the field but I also don't think he's the kind of receiver you throw screens to. I always thought that was an overblown complaint.

I think you are confused. Screens are thrown to dynamic athletes. Guys like Desean Jackson, not Hines Ward

He responded to a question that was posed by Carucci. You obviously didn't see the interview because he didn't bring that subject up out of thin air.

From Carrucci's article...

The remaining pass-catchers, most of whom are new to the team, don't provide that sort of splash the Los Angeles Rams acquired in last Friday's trade with the Bills. They're steady, workmanlike individuals who won't, as Watkins did early in the 2015 season, ever go to the media to demand more touches.

And no one personifies that approach more than the oldest and most decorated of the newcomers, 15-year veteran Anquan Boldin.

"There's definitely not that diva mentality in our receiver room," Boldin said after Tuesday's practice, the last of the summer at the Bills' St. John Fisher College training camp. "We have guys that are willing to do whatever it is that the coaches ask, whether that be blocking, running a clear-out route or going across the middle, taking a big hit and making a catch.

"We have guys that are willing to do whatever it takes. That's the kind of guys that you want to work with, work along side of, because with the game on the line, you can count on them."

From Carrucci's article...

The remaining pass-catchers, most of whom are new to the team, don't provide that sort of splash the Los Angeles Rams acquired in last Friday's trade with the Bills. They're steady, workmanlike individuals who won't, as Watkins did early in the 2015 season, ever go to the media to demand more touches.

And no one personifies that approach more than the oldest and most decorated of the newcomers, 15-year veteran Anquan Boldin.

"There's definitely not that diva mentality in our receiver room," Boldin said after Tuesday's practice, the last of the summer at the Bills' St. John Fisher College training camp. "We have guys that are willing to do whatever it is that the coaches ask, whether that be blocking, running a clear-out route or going across the middle, taking a big hit and making a catch.

"We have guys that are willing to do whatever it takes. That's the kind of guys that you want to work with, work along side of, because with the game on the line, you can count on them."

Don't show me Vic's article. The part you bolded is Carucci editorializing and attempting to connect it to Boldin's answer to his question. It's totally dishonest. Watch the interview where Vic posed the diva question.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I think you are confused. Screens are thrown to dynamic athletes. Guys like Desean Jackson, not Hines Ward

I want my screens going to guys that have good YAC ability. Funny enough Jordan Matthews was top 5 in screen receptions his rookie year. In 2015 Sammy had a YAC per reception of just 2.8 which is really bad. Woods and Hogan each had 3.0 the same year. I can't even find him on the rankings for 2016 here:

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/yards-after-the-catch/2016/

And that's including receivers with as little as 2 catches so that's pretty odd. He just doesn't get yards after the catch very often. Why would he be good on screens?

You have got to be kidding me. I'm sure opposing DCs will be frightened.

What are you disagreeing with?

Either:

(1) That I said we have guys that can go deep: Matthews (4.46), Jones (4.45), Streater (4.37), Brown (4.37), Lewis (4.46), Ross (4.36)?

or

(2) That I said Brown, Lewis, and Ross are not super talented? ("Not arguing Brown, Lewis, or Ross are super talented." - Me)