Bills trade Sammy Watkins to Rams for CB Gaines, 2nd rd pick

Roundybout

He's certainly physical. He's good at beating the jam -- the most important "physical" component of being a WR in the NFL.

great comp. I've been following training camp reports, and he is apparently the best player out there right now. This trade was so dumb ...

Weak post.

I wish this forum had a like button for the posts.

Well, first Matthews needs to drag his injury-prone a$$ onto the field and stop being such a kitty. :lol:

Yep! :lol: But the point was reinforced after listening to Les Snead's PFT Live interview where he discussed how they see Sammy impacting their entire offense with Austin and Gurley as two of the primary beneficiaries of his presence on the field.

Jordan Matthews, and Boldin, are among the best blocking WR's in the game.

That's a good thing for sure, but can either dictate coverages to create room for other players?

Jordan Matthews, and Boldin, are among the best blocking WR's in the game.

Boldin for sure...can you show me an example with Matthews? It's not something that I've noticed is why I'm asking.

Also, that's not really the point. Sammy is a WR that opposing DCs need to game plan against--Matthews/Boldin are not.

Edited by thebandit27

Don't worry it won't be long until this offense is bogged down my 8 man fronts and over aggressive safeties because the Bills have zero down the field threats. Then once old man Boldin goes hobbling off it will be up to a rookie and JMaTT. I think Watkins is a Summers Eve but they needed him. He finally looks healthy and off he goes to LA.

Don't worry it won't be long until this offense is bogged down my 8 man fronts and over aggressive safeties because the Bills have zero down the field threats. Then once old man Boldin goes hobbling off it will be up to a rookie and JMaTT. I think Watkins is a Summers Eve but they needed him. He finally looks healthy and off he goes to LA.

:lol: I'd love to see you tough it through a broken foot and other injuries to pay at the NFL level.

That's a good thing for sure, but can either dictate coverages to create room for other players?

At this point in his career, I'm not ready to say that Matthews can't do that. And I'm certainly not ready to say that Zay can't.

I feel like the "terrible" trade crowd is arguing with themselves in this thread. Keep throwing out stats about how great Sammy is. Great. I agree, as do most people with two eyes.

The real question is about team building. I don't think it's crazy not to think that paying an elite #1 receiver big money, if he would even sign beyond the franchise tag, is the best idea for a team in our situation. Save the cap space, and accumulate picks, and give us the flexibility to go after what really matter- a franchise QB. Yes, you can try to do both, but the having more picks and more cap space just increases your odds. Plus, you can't pay everyone.

Lets go over the best receivers in the game, again-

OBJ

Julio

Brown

Green

Hopkins

Dez

How many championships? You can do this exercise with greats going back to Megatron, Moss, and TO. Elite WR's are great to have, and yes, good players are better to have than bad players, but great receivers alone just don't move the needle that much. Especially when you have to decide how to spend your limited resources. And double especially on a run first team without an established franchise QB employing a WCO horizontal attack.

great comp. I've been following training camp reports, and he is apparently the best player out there right now. This trade was so dumb ...

Just be glad Beane was at least smart enough to trade him to a team the Bills won't see but once every four years (or the Super Bowl).

At this point in his career, I'm not ready to say that Matthews can't do that. And I'm certainly not ready to say that Zay can't.

I feel like the "terrible" trade crowd is arguing with themselves in this thread. Keep throwing out stats about how great Sammy is. Great. I agree, as do most people with two eyes.

The real question is about team building. I don't think it's crazy not to think that paying an elite #1 receiver big money, if he would even sign beyond the franchise tag, is the best idea for a team in our situation. Save the cap space, and accumulate picks, and give us the flexibility to go after what really matter- a franchise QB. Yes, you can try to do both, but the having more picks and more cap space just increases your odds. Plus, you can't pay everyone.

Lets go over the best receivers in the game, again-

OBJ

Julio

Brown

Green

Hopkins

Dez

How many championships? You can do this exercise with greats going back to Megatron, Moss, and TO. Elite WR's are great to have, and yes, good players are better to have than bad players, but great receivers alone just don't move the needle that much. Especially when you have to decide how to spend your limited resources. And double especially on a run first team without an established franchise QB employing a WCO horizontal attack.

If the argument is that they aren't going to use him, and therefore he wasn't worth what he wants to be paid, then at least the trade makes sense on its face.

The implication of that, however, is quite disturbing: the team does not feel that a WR of Watkins' caliber is part of assembling a championship team?

Boldin for sure...can you show me an example with Matthews? It's not something that I've noticed is why I'm asking.

Also, that's not really the point. Sammy is a WR that opposing DCs need to game plan against--Matthews/Boldin are not.

I'll try to find the stuff I've read on it.

I was responding to impacting a game without getting the ball

Were all of you whiners in this thread Doug Whaley fans?

Leroi always used to say Sammy was soft (called him Samantha) and that was even when Whaley was still here. He did or still works there and I always hoped it was just his personal opinion and not that of the organization. He posted about it multiple times. That he had to prove he wasn't soft, etc. Just saying I think it goes back further than what the new HC and GM think. Could be ownership. Or, both FOs saw the same thing. Edited by YoloinOhio

Leroi always used to say Sammy was soft (called him Samantha) and that was even when Whaley was still here. He did or still works there and I always hoped it was just his personal opinion and not that of the organization. He posted about it multiple times. That he had to prove he wasn't soft, etc. Just saying I think it goes back further than what the new HC and GM think. Could be ownership. Or, both FOs saw the same thing.

Interesting to ewad what might be an inside perspective of what people in the org thought of Sammy pre Sean and Beane. Thats remarkable if the braintrust that drafted him took that stance as well. Edited by Bill_with_it

Interesting to ewad what might be an inside perspective of what people in the org thought of Sammy pre Sean and Beane. Thats remarkable if the braintrust that drafted him took that stance as well.

i used to cringe every time he posted about Sammy. I was like "!@#$ that's not good. Hope that's false" but he was pretty consistent about it. Who knows.