Bills trade Sammy Watkins to Rams for CB Gaines, 2nd rd pick

Roundybout

I understand your fear of such power being placed in inexperienced hands. It is something that I have found concerning as well. Beane and McD will leave Buffalo behind as an utter disaster, or they will be the best thing to happen to this franchise. This is a real boom or bust regime imo. The only thing that comforts me is that we can't really hit rock bottom. We already have a 17 year playoff drought. I find it difficult to be up in arms over the loss of Sammy (or any player) on a team that was going nowhere. Beane and McD think they are building for the future. Their plan may or may not work. We don't have much to lose as the present offers little hope. I understand where many posters are coming from. I'm just viewing this through a different lens. Ps here is your quote "Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the Bills mess this up. My biggest fear is that they use a bunch of capital to move up and take the wrong guy at QB." I guess you never said they "will" take the wrong QB, you're just "pretty sure".

We are on the same page here for sure. My frustration stems from the fact that I believe Watkins will be a star. He's 24 and should be the center piece of the rebuild. I'm not one that wants change just because its change. It has to make sense to me. I loved the draft moves this year. I hated this move. We will see how it all works out but it will be interesting for sure.

p.s. The "pretty sure" comment was in regards to the use of the draft compensation not the QB pick.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I heard this while I was in a meeting at work and almost fell out of my chair. While I can get behind the Darby deal; the Watkins deal reeks of us wanting to move on for either injury concern or maturity issues. I was all for us doing a mini rebuild, but I would expect for Wood, TT, Hughes, Kyle, Richie and Shady to be moved; not the young guys you can build around. You are spot on with this comment...

They still want the defense to be competitive and if Tyrod wasn't retained then Kyle, lorax walk and Hyde doesn't sign.

All we need is for the offense to be horrible and retool the defense and we can be competitive next year with a franchise QB (hopefully).

If we go 2-14 can we get someone awesome like Connor Cook?

Right on!

Or Carson Wentz.

so would 1-15....

Exactly!

Let's just do 0-16 to make sure.

Matthews ends his time with the Eagles after three seasons, pulling in 225 catches for 2,673 yards and 19 touchdowns. He missed just two games over the past three seasons, and totaled more catches in his first three seasons than any other receiver in team history. [/size]

Watkins? Not so much....[/size]

And this means what in the possibility of either player suffering a season ender on opening day?

Just got home from work. A friend texted me this news, and I spent about ten minutes being despondent.

A few thoughts:

1) I was at the Bills Backers at Busby's watching the preseason, and several people wondered out loud why they were giving Sammy an entire quarter, but didn't give a single snap to Shady, Clay, or Boldin, and barely gave White, or Z. Jones a thing. Now we now.

2) Goff just got a lot better.

3) How pissed off is Tyrod right now?

4) I wonder: did Sammy know what was going on during the game, or was he in the dark like the rest of us?

5) Mostly, I feel robbed that we never got to see Sammy at a season's full potential.

Edited by Rocky Landing

And this means what in the possibility of either player suffering a season ender on opening day?

Nothing. But Sammy is so talented that if h got hurt it would really kill us. We are better off with crappy players so that way we are practically immune to injuries.

Now I understand why you don't think we threw in the 2017 towel. You hate Sammy, it makes sense now.

Clearly the distinction of making a situation marginally worse for the short-term and to "Throwing in the towel" meaning quitting is too nuanced for you. Next time we communicate I will make sure we stick to words and concepts like "Good" and "Bad" so we can keep it on the level.

They still want the defense to be competitive and if Tyrod wasn't retained then Kyle, lorax walk and Hyde doesn't sign.

All we need is for the offense to be horrible and retool the defense and we can be competitive next year with a franchise QB (hopefully).

Kirby's post had it the best, you really have to be worse than those other teams to get your QB. If QBs are there and those teams need them, there is nothing we can offer to move up - that is my concern honestly...

Clearly the distinction of making a situation marginally worse for the short-term and to "Throwing in the towel" meaning quitting is too nuanced for you. Next time we communicate I will make sure we stick to words and concepts like "Good" and "Bad" so we can keep it on the level.

The Bills did not get marginally worse in 2017 by ditching Sammy Watkins. They got a lot worse. Throwing in the towel worse. Should the Sabres trade Eichel for a crappy defenseman and a second round pick? I mean they'd only be marginally worse because they went out and got Pomainville. That proves they aren't throwing in the towel.

Good Lord.

The Bills did not get marginally worse in 2017 by ditching Sammy Watkins. They got a lot worse. Throwing in the towel worse. Should the Sabres trade Eichel for a crappy defenseman and a second round pick? I mean they'd only be marginally worse because they went out and got Pomainville. That proves they aren't throwing in the towel.

Good Lord.

Bad post

Good Lord.

Didn't know you were so high on Sammy and the 2017 season...