Astro-Notes: 7-30-17 Fourth Practice

I met Joe and Linda from DraftTek's Bills fan email. Nice to see you both! Terry Pegula, who stays in the Fisher dorms, was talking with McDermott and Beane, surely about Barnidge. Just kidding. There is enough TE talent on this roster; that's just my opinion. Clay looks great, O'Leary would be a sleeper late round fantasy steal, and I think the preseason will let the cream rise to the top between Logan Thomas, Croom, and Towbridge.

In stretching:

• O'Leary, Karim Barton, Croom, and Zay Jones stood out as putting for extra effort.
  • Miller and Mills didn't.

In Positional Drills:

• QBs drid a ladder drill holding the football, then they had to fire that ball to an asst coach.
  • QBs then did hand-offs to the RB who got knocked around with pads hitting them, to secure the football quickly.
  • OL players were working on getting under the DLine player's pads. Castillo is right in there. He's hands-on, and even the vets are paying attention, meaning they're getting subtle pointers to up their game.
  • TE are working with Bob Boras, another Posiiton Coach upgrade. The pairings remain the same as the last 3 days. Consistency.
  • RBs were working with the QBs above, but I have to reiterate that Cedric O'Neal has a chance to make this roster. It will come down to blocking on pass plays, ST play, and receiving out of the backfield.
  • WRs and TEs are later doing essentially 3-cone drills where they get a pass thrown to them. Impressing Joe, Linda, and me: Zay Jones, Butler, Streater twice, Towbridge, O"Leary, and Saxton. Several WR-TEs either let the ball come into their body rather than hands-catching the ball, or they double-handled the ball when catching it: Logan Thomas, Towbridge, and Watkins. Philly Brown dropped one he should've had.

In 11 on 11 Drill: I spent more time watching the backfield play, so my notes are a little incomplete on the offensive side.

• Hyde did well following the action down the line, but at times got caught up in the traffic. We were impressed at Tre White's ability against the run; he's a versatile player as he was also back shagging KR-PR balls from the JUGS machine during that phase.
  • McCoy can run against our backfield, although the front seven is going to be able to stop top runners --like Top Three in the NFL good.
  • Logan Thomas made a nice catch, this time a hands catch away from his body, and got impressive Yards After Catch. YAC is so important when you try and pick a TE in the West Coast Offense.
  • Jonathan Williams didn't have much room on the next run play; Valles-Ryan Davis-Milano (who had his best day today) were all in the mix to slow him down.
  • Ragland made the stop of the session, picking up the RB and laying him down. He grows palpably every day in his new role.
  • O'Neal makes a nice run off of Yates' handoff, with Yarbrough, Nigel Williams, and Jake Metz in on the tackle.
  • Yates handoff goes for very little as starters Adolphus Washington (for Dareus) and Shaq Lawson
  • Groy made OL line-call change on the play. The call worked, as Yates handoff to J-Williams went for 7-9 yards.
  • Patrick DiMarco and Wes Saxton impressed on this play. Maybe we keep 3 RB, 2 FB and 2-3 TEs?
  • The play after that, DiMarco didn't know where to line up and they huddled up again. Tyrod runs a sweet screen to Shady, and they spent several minutes after that working just on screens. I am reminded of a great stat: Sammy Watkins made over 60% of his yardage at Clemson on screens.
  • Meanwhile, the defense is working on communication of defensive assignments and pre-snap shifts. Adolphus is still in for Dareus, with Humber at Weak-side, Preston in the middle. I didn't see Ragland but I assume he was in there. Leonard Johnson got some reps with this alignment

In the second 11 on 11:

• Hyde was in Cover-1 a lot. They did some last-minute shifts, with S going back, or with CB coming up. IT was a miracle to behold on the 4th day of Training Camp.
  • Holmes caught a pass for 10 yards, but parlayed it into YAC. His high drop rate vs his YAC is going to be Holmes' ticket.
  • I counted SEVEN Bills on the Line of Scrimmage. The offense picked it up, but Tyrod's pass was almost INT-ed by Tre White. He had another near-INT later on. He's working on securing these.
  • Towbridge makes a nice catch near the sideline from Yates.
  • The Bills are in Cover-1, they sent 7 on a blitz, and that was enough to gum up a run play by Banyard.
  • A Cover-1 BEater to Streater from Yates was 30 yards and the Play of the Day.

Impressions:

• JOrdan JOhhnson won't be waived. He may be PS material.
  • Cordy kept Tyrod clean all day.
  • O'Leary makes impressive catches plus YAC.
  • In Cover-1, Tyrod shot a bomb to Tolbert for the other Play of the Day.
  • The 2's are getting to the QB. Even the 3's got some action today.JOnathan Williams had another great day. Think Shady and Karlos rolled into a one-cut shifty back with size.
  • Hauschka drilled 6 in a row from as far as the 44 that landed 15 yards beyond.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the reports as well wasn't able to drive-in today digging up old shrubs in the backyard.

You would think Holmes would be hitting the jugs machine a bunch.

Do you think Shorts is going to be able to find a place or will he need to develop more on a practice squad first?

Edited by Jamie Muellers Ghost

You know....there was a time when O'Leary was in real danger of being cut.....is this guy going to end up being a solid player for us?

Every day I have more hope that Jon Williams is the player I thought/hoped he would be.......what I saw on tape (prior to his injury) was an angry runner who pinballed his way through traffic

We have been lamenting the loss of prime Mario Williams and our top 5 defense.....I am not saying Lawson is Mario Williams...but....he might be very good?

Is Trey White going to make us happy that we let Gilmore and his huge salary go somewhere else?

Hey ASTRO, thanks for your daily camp right ups. They're more informative than what we get on the bills website.

Question, you've been there everyday, do you think in the short time since camp started you've seen improvement? And in your opinion, does the offense look to be improved? Granted I know it's camp and only 4 days in, but just curious your opinion

You know....there was a time when O'Leary was in real danger of being cut.....is this guy going to end up being a solid player for us?

Every day I have more hope that Jon Williams is the player I thought/hoped he would be.......what I saw on tape (prior to his injury) was an angry runner who pinballed his way through traffic

We have been lamenting the loss of prime Mario Williams and our top 5 defense.....I am not saying Lawson is Mario Williams...but....he might be very good?

Is Trey White going to make us happy that we let Gilmore and his huge salary go somewhere else?

Will say that Saturday I found Lawson to be very aggressive with the blocker and fast around the corner. Very Bruce-like. There I said it.

...GREAT stuff Astro......sounds like this Logan Thomas may have a shot.........could imagine him rumblin' down the seam like a runaway Freightliner....pretty impressive TP is right there with his players....could rent out the entire luxury DelMonte Lodge in Pittsford for himself, but rubs elbows with his gang.....this organization IS heading in the right direction IMO............

..."Terry Pegula, who stays in the Fisher dorms,"......

Thanks for updates Astro. Way better than any reporters update..

It sounds like the defense is doing really well. I expected them to be significantly better this year than last.

Also, how refreshing is it to see screens being worked on, especially for Sammy?

Crossing my fingers we finally have a great staff top down for once.

Thanks for updates Astro. Way better than any reporters update..

It sounds like the defense is doing really well. I expected them to be significantly better this year than last.

Also, how refreshing is it to see screens being worked on, especially for Sammy?

Crossing my fingers we finally have a great staff top down for once.

....EXACTLY why Nefarious Jerry and his ilk are hiding under their rocks......Astro threatens their very livelihood.... :thumbsup:

I will be surprised if White doesn't turn into a stud corner.

Was best CB in the draft, IMO.

They got good value there.......rest of draft......not feeling they got matchup winners like 3D but fingers crossed.

1) 3D = stud

2) Zokay Zay(he zokay, but)

2B) Chawklit blunder or thunder?

balance = meh

....restoring the defense to the pre-Wrecks dismantling debacle should make a huge difference in this club........Dennison as the offensive guru will design an offensive conducive to TT...whether he adapts or not will tell during 2017.....ST personnel looks much better....despite pundits' prognostications, this could be a very interesting year IMO..............