Controlling my expectations but have reasons for being excit

Especially on the defensive side. These guys are going to be playing very fast and attacking like crazy. This approach fits their skill set. This is they way they should've been playing the past couple of years. I'm excited to see Shaq, and Hughes on the outside with Kyle and Dareus bullying their way up the middle. Rushed throws and scrambling qb's will be the common theme. The secondary will benefit greatly from this.

All the Bills need is for Tyrod to improve in the areas he lack in and this is definitely a playoff team. However my biggest question mark is qb, and I'm a little concerned about drives not being sustained, and receivers not getting opportunities even after creating seperation. I'm just hoping this coaching staff can help Tyrod take the next step and become a complete qb. He need to take what the defense gives, only run when necessary, and show defenses that he can use the entire field, and pocket awareness and pocket patience.

However overall this team is more complete then they're given credit for, especially on the defensive side. The defense just may have to carry the team a little more but with their personnel I don't see why people wouldn't think they couldn't do it. That defensive line is going to be scary and anybody can quote me on that. They'll be amongst the best if not the best.

How about the defensive backs? I think Brady will have a field day with them. Also don't overlook our lack of depth. A couple of injuries and then our roster doesn't look so good does it. For many years its been we are close we just need this to happen and that to happen and then maybe this too. Yea and I would win the lottery if my numbers just came up. With the perfect season maybe we get a wild card but then what? We still aren't close to competing for the super bowl. There will be some good things this year but we are still a .500 team at the end of the day

How about the defensive backs? I think Brady will have a field day with them. Also don't overlook our lack of depth. A couple of injuries and then our roster doesn't look so good does it. For many years its been we are close we just need this to happen and that to happen and then maybe this too. Yea and I would win the lottery if my numbers just came up. With the perfect season maybe we get a wild card but then what? We still aren't close to competing for the super bowl. There will be some good things this year but we are still a .500 team at the end of the day

Not so fast. Go see a practice and see what you think. These guys at safety and DB looked improved to me yesterday.

Also from what I saw from JWill our run game is in great shape.

I think Tyrod has been using the old rope a dope theory since he began here. The tape is out. He doesn't see the middle of the field. Look for him to switch it up this year and eat the middle of the field alive. 10+ targets a game for clay and the running backs in the middle with an occasional bomb outside to Sammy. That's what I'm hoping for anyways

I think Tyrod has been using the old rope a dope theory since he began here. The tape is out. He doesn't see the middle of the field. Look for him to switch it up this year and eat the middle of the field alive. 10+ targets a game for clay and the running backs in the middle with an occasional bomb outside to Sammy. That's what I'm hoping for anyways

I understand what you're saying, really I do. However at some point you have to surround a QB with better options - especially when your QB isn't great and has trouble seeing the middle.

I get that it could just be Tyrod totally sucks but we don't know.

When you roll out 8 games of Sammy, Woods, Goodwin, Hunter, Powell and Tate - that's just not going to do it. Our leading yds leader had 51/613 in Woods - that's just pitiful.

Boldin would be a significant signing. Zay and Holmes have to be good. You need all that and McCoy and Clay to do what they're capable of.

I just don't get how we put this all on TT - he's not the type of QB that can overcome the lack of viable NFL WR's we've given him.

Take away some of the "if's" and then I want to see what he's got.

• Our secondary could be more talented this year. Darby needs to get back to his rookie form, White is looking promising and needs to keep showing why he was our #1, Hyde brings a Hybrid ability we haven't had in some time
  • The defensive line could be dominating. Dareus and Kyle need to stay healthy. Hughes is much more natural as a 4-3 DE. I think the same can be said about Shaq who is getting a lot of positive reports out of camp right now.
  • WR will be much improved. We lose Woods, but most of last year we had Woods and street free agents. If Sammy can stay healthy? Maybe we sign Boldin? Also promising is Zay Jones, who like Shaq, is getting a lot of positive attention in camp. All I know is it would be damn hard to challenge our deficiencies at this position compared to 2016. If some things go our way we could be vastly improved.
  • OL will be among one of the better units in the NFL, certainly in the run game

Throw in Tayor, if he can improve. How deficient this team was of organization and detail the last two years. Even if it is year 1 of this system, it's not like this is a lost year. If some things go our way we could surprise some people.

Edited by KzooMike

I am a noted Kool Aid drinker, but I don't know. Something feels different this year. I loved Rex's bravado, but the back of my brain had whispers of things going wrong.

This year, the risks are blunt to me: questionable LB group. Thin secondary. Thin WR. But for all that, for some reason, I'm not worried.

From all reports, Lawson and Hughes are flying off the ends. Safety is no longer neglected. Dareus and Kyle look hungry.

Tyrod has his limitations, but I salivate at some of the bootlegs Sieman was able to run last year. With Shady still in high gear, and JWill to back him up, and a strong FB and backfield receiving game, plus a cohesive O-line for the first time in years, I have few doubts of being a top 10 run team again.

Zay looks worth the picks. If we can snag Boldin, I actually really like our WE group.

I'm just not going to sit there and care of the "if healthy" parts. IF you throw those out, we should be competitive. Every team has that problem, one of these days we'll have a good health season. Hell, last year wasn't terribl except for Sammy.

I'm keeping my expectations tempered, particularly because of the defensive backfield and QB play.

But I will say, the front 7 is shaping up nicely, and one thing I really like about the offense is the bootlegs and misdirections. That's one thing I've always thought TT excels at. More, please.

For me, this year is all about our new coach. I want to see better game day preparation and decisions.....I simply don't think we have a playoffs team for 2017...our schedule looks daunting....and as someone else mentioned, we are 1 or 2 injury away from a really bad season.....our depth is practically nonexistent....

Name defensive backs Brady doesn't have a field day with.

Especially on the defensive side. These guys are going to be playing very fast and attacking like crazy. This approach fits their skill set. This is they way they should've been playing the past couple of years. I'm excited to see Shaq, and Hughes on the outside with Kyle and Dareus bullying their way up the middle. Rushed throws and scrambling qb's will be the common theme. The secondary will benefit greatly from this.

All the Bills need is for Tyrod to improve in the areas he lack in and this is definitely a playoff team. However my biggest question mark is qb, and I'm a little concerned about drives not being sustained, and receivers not getting opportunities even after creating seperation. I'm just hoping this coaching staff can help Tyrod take the next step and become a complete qb. He need to take what the defense gives, only run when necessary, and show defenses that he can use the entire field, and pocket awareness and pocket patience.

However overall this team is more complete then they're given credit for, especially on the defensive side. The defense just may have to carry the team a little more but with their personnel I don't see why people wouldn't think they couldn't do it. That defensive line is going to be scary and anybody can quote me on that. They'll be amongst the best if not the best.

They serving Kool-Aid at training camp?

Every team looks like a playoff team in shorts.

But hey, if you wanna get excited go for it. Nothing wrong with it, really. Hope you're right.

Agreed. Our season will depend heavily on the play of the front 4. The starting unit should be a force, but if any of them miss time due to injury, especially the DEs, it could be a major blow due to the drop off in depth. IF they stay relatively healthy, it should help to mask some deficiencies at the next level, especially the secondary. I expect to see quite a bit of cover 3, and if our run defense can hold up, more two deep safeties in man coverage. Getting good pressure up the middle and forcing quicker throws is the key.

On offense, I think we'll be fine as long as McCoy, Watkins, and Clay stay relatively healthy. There was a noticeable drop in efficiency when any of the 3 were out. Losing Gillislee hurts, but a big part of his success was due to the blocking he and our backs received. The Bills led the league in yards before contact, and even though Roman/Lynn are gone, I don't think we'll see too much change in the run game. They should finish top 10, IMO, if not top 5.

I still see this team hovering around .500, with 5-6 plays being the difference between 7 wins or 9. Even if they stay relatively healthy at the most important positions, there will still be some growing pains, due to having new coaches and some changes in philosophy, as well as several new faces on the field, many of which are young and lack experience at the NFL level. Out of the 90 players that were here to start camp last year, I believe only 30 are here this year.

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat