If Cardale and EJ succeed with their new teams...

is this a sign that it's the Bills coaching of QB's is the root of the problem. I think under it all, we have not had good QB scouts or coaches or offensive schemes for a number of years. My stomach still turns at the thought of "the guru" David Lee destroying any arm in his path.

I hope Culley is better, but I am not holding my breath just yet. We just always seem to be a step behind with our offensive play calling and do everything to mask the weakness of our passing game. Since the K-gun days, I can not recall a Bills Offense that struck fear into opponents and caused them to game plan for our offense instead of our offense trying to adjust to the defensive game plan thrown at us.

Run, run pass, punt. Run, run, pass, punt has been a staple for so long. If Tyrod did not have the legs he has and Shady was not Shady, we would be so screwed. I am a bit anxious to see what Dennison can do when the pads are on and the bullets are flying.

Thoughts?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the bar for success for either of these guys, just making the team? I suppose Cardale has a shot at future playing time, but not EJ.

I would think a solid #2 would be the barometer. If either starts and plays over .500, I would say success. Figuring that we deemed both worse than Yates and Peterman, but time will tell.

EJ will never be successful lol

I feel the same. I've never seen anyone read the field as poor, but if somehow he shines in Oakland, I would blame our coaches for the stunted development.

If Cardale and EJ succeed with their new teams...

Thoughts?

I can not say. neither did with the bills and I really can't say it was coaching either, but it could of had some relevance?

if I were to take a projected guess, it would be they may succeed holding a clip board, maybe a back up or third string but I don't see either starting and leading any team to the promise land?

brown, edwards, losman, collins, etc

did they go on to succeed?

I would think a solid #2 would be the barometer. If either starts and plays over .500, I would say success. Figuring that we deemed both worse than Yates and Peterman, but time will tell.

I feel the same. I've never seen anyone read the field as poor, but if somehow he shines in Oakland, I would blame our coaches for the stunted development.

How is that on the coaches?

They wont.

I wouldn't be surprised if both are out of the league by 2018.

I think EJ is what you might want in a backup. Hard worker, says the right things, team guy etc.

That said, I'm glad he's another team's backup and not ours. Perhaps a change of scenery will

help, but I don't see him being a first option starter in the league again.

CJ I think is too raw to judge at this point.

Todd Collins actually did pretty good after he left Buffalo.

Wasn't too bad in Washington as I recall.

not really all that good.

he came in for the injured campbell (2007) winning a few games finishing 9-7 and earning a wildcard. but the two 4th qtr ints was the nail (loss to the seahawks) in the coffin for his career in washington. he played one season with the bears where he filled in for cutler against the panthers and threw 4 ints before being relieved by hanie and then again in the nfc (loss) championship against the pack he came in for injured cutler only to suffer a shoulder injury and was replaced by hanie.

his career (22 td/24 ints) was done following the 2010 season.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

is this a sign that it's the Bills coaching of QB's is the root of the problem. I think under it all, we have not had good QB scouts or coaches or offensive schemes for a number of years. My stomach still turns at the thought of "the guru" David Lee destroying any arm in his path.

I hope Culley is better, but I am not holding my breath just yet. We just always seem to be a step behind with our offensive play calling and do everything to mask the weakness of our passing game. Since the K-gun days, I can not recall a Bills Offense that struck fear into opponents and caused them to game plan for our offense instead of our offense trying to adjust to the defensive game plan thrown at us.

Run, run pass, punt. Run, run, pass, punt has been a staple for so long. If Tyrod did not have the legs he has and Shady was not Shady, we would be so screwed. I am a bit anxious to see what Dennison can do when the pads are on and the bullets are flying.

Thoughts?

Coaching is a problem. But even with great coaches, I don't think Buffalo would have much success with the Quarterbacks we have fielded the last 15 years.

- Rob Johnson was a backup before he came to Buffalo. After we let him go, he was a backup in Tampa Bay and never did much. Out of the league within 2 seasons.

- Drew Bledsoe was declining before he came to Buffalo. He went to Dallas after us, played about the same as here, and then got replaced by Tony Romo. Out of the league within 2 seasons.

- JP Losman never started a game after leaving Buffalo. Out of the league within 2 seasons.

- Trent Edwards started 1 game after leaving Buffalo. Out of the league within 2 seasons.

- Ryan Fitzpatrick has been the same guy for the last 9 years. Puts up decent stats, but is inconsistent with accuracy and destroys his teams with bad decisions and poor accuracy.

... I'll eat my hat. ;)

And I like both guys, but I can't pin their shortcomings (EJ specifically, I've seen almost nothing of Cardale) entirely on bad coaching. Probably just not NFL starters.

"A solid #2" is NOT success, and neither is a .500 record as a starter. Success is being a competent starter for a number of seasons, which means being at least on a par with Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton, Alex Smith, etc.... and no, EJ Manuel will never be that. It's unlikely that Cardale Jones will either, but stranger things have happened.