Cardale traded to chargers!!

Sounds like a lot of fans are upset with this trade.

But Cardale Jones was always a tremendous long-shot to have success in the NFL. Regardless of his physical ability or potential.

Most of those who cover the team believe he was very unlikely to make the roster this year at all.

Tyrod Taylor is our clear starter at QB. TJ Yates gives us an experienced veteran. Coaches obviously believe Nate Peterman has a better shot at NFL success. Odds are high we are targeting a 1st Round QB next year. This means that Jones was probably looking at the practice squad (at best) in 2017 with very few reps, only to be in a similar or worse position to make the team next year.

If a team was willing to give up a draft selection, can you really blame the Bills for taking it?

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a lot of fans are upset with this trade.

But Cardale Jones was always a tremendous long-shot to have success in the NFL. Regardless of his physical ability or potential.

Most of those who cover the team believe he was very unlikely to make the roster this year at all.

Tyrod Taylor is our clear starter at QB. TJ Yates gives us an experienced veteran. Coaches obviously believe Nate Peterman has a better shot at NFL success. Odds are high we are targeting a 1st Round QB next year. This means that Jones was probably looking at the practice squad (at best) in 2017 with very few reps, only to be in a similar or worse position to make the team next year.

If a team was willing to give up a draft selection, can you really blame the Bills for taking it?

i'm not sure a lot of fans are upset. i think it's the same few that are always upset about everything, that tend to make the most noise.

And this ends Whaley's poor QB drafts.

I don't subscribe to the bad drafts notion, but I never understood the Jones pick. If the guy couldn't start in college with all his talent, why would anyone think he can start in the pros? Inches going to make it, its a 5+ year project. Let him get his experience someplace else.

CJ was still a developmental QB, without room on the roster / enough reps to develop here. With the Chargers, at least he has a better opportunity to be a #2, to get the reps that may allow him to develop--hey, we don't know if he ever will, but at least he is in a better position there. A Lynn knows, and likes Jones (see the following article from Chargers.com):

http://www.chargers.com/news/2017/07/26/head-coach-anthony-lynn-opens-about-trade-qb-cardale-jones

In a way, I feel like this was an act of kindness by the Bills staff. They knew Jones would likely be cut. They probably didn't hate the guy; he just wasn't their guy. I applaud McDermott & Beane for having the kindness to put the kid in a position where he can at least try to succeed. That was thoughtful of them. And I can't really blame McD & Beane for trading away a guy they weren't invested in for something, rather than just cutting him for nothing. Jones is clearly a Whaley pick, and the new regime wanted to move on. Can't say it's a "win" when we move a 4th (let's be honest... Cardalle was the LAST pick--compensatory pick--in the 4th = 5th round) for a 7th, BUT the Bills of old would have cut him for nothing. That's not a win; it's cutting your losses.

It's a good move for Cardalle's career--whatever may come of it--and for us, trying to make something out of what would be a cut player. I cannot be against this move, as it helps all parties involved. Maybe this new regime is taking small steps towards doing what's right, in both a football sense (making something out of what would otherwise be a total loss for us) and a personal sense (giving Jones a shot to succeed, even if it isn't here).

Edited by ROCBillsBeliever

File this under "who cares?"

We have had all types of back ups that amounted to nothing...We had a QB that was YouTube sensation, his nickname was "trick shot" or something. Amazing arm. Probably selling insurance somewhere now.

Heck we have had starters amount to nothing. If a very raw 4th rounder QB does not show any real progress, cut your losses and move on. Good move by the Bills.

Jones seemed like a good guy... good luck!!!

So hard to develop a guy at QB unless they earn the starting position in camp and get to play for a few full seasons. Cardale will probably be out of the league in a few years without anyone ever really knowing how well (or poorly) he could play as a starting nfl qb.

It's like interviewing for a job and not getting it because you don't have any experience, yet you can't get experience unless you get hired to do the job.

One thing is for sure, the kid can sling that football

Jones was extremely raw coming into the NFL. While having a great arm, his accuracy was terrible. For those suggesting he should be given a chance to "compete", it's a complete waste of time. The majority of practice reps go to the starter which everyone knows is Taylor. No one is going to un-seed him with whatever they do in training camp or even the preseason. There is plenty of data on Jones and what he did in training camp last season. His horrendous game against the Jets really sealed the deal IMO. T.J. Yates was clearly signed to be the veteran backup that knows the system that's being run on offense. Taylor has missed games in his first two seasons, so that's a good move by the front office. Peterman wasn't drafted to simply be dropped. By some evaluations, he may have been the most "NFL ready" for whatever that means. Teams generally need 3 QB's and sometimes only 2 on the active roster with an extra for camps. Jones is the odd man out. I was hoping to see some of that National Championship magic at the NFL level and just didn't.

So hard to develop a guy at QB unless they earn the starting position in camp and get to play for a few full seasons. Cardale will probably be out of the league in a few years without anyone ever really knowing how well (or poorly) he could play as a starting nfl qb.

It's like interviewing for a job and not getting it because you don't have any experience, yet you can't get experience unless you get hired to do the job.

One thing is for sure, the kid can sling that football

Good posting