What do you think about Hyperloops

YoloinOhio

http://nbc4i.co/2tiLAyr

Columbus to Chicago in 29 minutes is a finalist. Elon Musk just announced he got verbal approval for NY to DC route with a hyerloop from NY-Phil-baltimore-DC.

For Ohio, I think it could impact farmers giving up acres of land but on the other hand, i think CBus is perfect for a hub given it is centrally located to many cities.

Edited by YoloinOhio

http://nbc4i.co/2tiLAyr

Columbus to Chicago in 29 minutes is a finalist. Elon Musk just announced he got verbal approval for NY to DC route with a hyerloop from NY-Phil-baltimore-DC.

For Ohio, I think it could impact farmers giving up acres of land but on the other hand, i think CBus is perfect for a hub given it is centrally located to many cities.

I think it'll be an amazing idea...if it happens.

What do I think? It's pretty ambitious. On the one side Musk seems like a modern day Tesla (Edison was a fraud) with his revolutionary improvements in everything from rocketry to boring tunnels. On the other hand a Hyperloop can be destroyed by even the the slightest flaw in the tube. And as we all know Mother Earth can shift around.

think it aint happening anytime in our lifetime...unless i be missing something, who be paying to build the tunnel?

I think that you are seriously under-estimating the speed at which technology moves. It's unlikely to happen in the next decade, but it might very well happen before 2040. Consider that the first manned flight in an airplane, the Wright Brothers' 1903 Kitty Hawk flight, occurred in 1903, and that within twenty years, airplanes were already in use by the military and for carrying mail. In 1927, Charles Lindberg fly non-stop across the Atlantic, and within 30 years, the Soviets launched Sputnik, the first artificial satellite. Within less than 12 years of that, Neil Armstrong walked on the moon.

The technology for powering hyperloops already exists. Tunnel building technology has largely been perfected ... nobody thought the Chunnel (Channel Tunnel under the English Channel) was possible when it was proposed because building a tunnel under water is much more difficult than building under ground but it's been open since 1994. What will hold it up is acquiring the land (or rights of way) and legal challenges.

I think that you are seriously under-estimating the speed at which technology moves. It's unlikely to happen in the next decade, but it might very well happen before 2040. Consider that the first manned flight in an airplane, the Wright Brothers' 1903 Kitty Hawk flight, occurred in 1903, and that within twenty years, airplanes were already in use by the military and for carrying mail. In 1927, Charles Lindberg fly non-stop across the Atlantic, and within 30 years, the Soviets launched Sputnik, the first artificial satellite. Within less than 12 years of that, Neil Armstrong walked on the moon.

The technology for powering hyperloops already exists. Tunnel building technology has largely been perfected ... nobody thought the Chunnel (Channel Tunnel under the English Channel) was possible when it was proposed because building a tunnel under water is much more difficult than building under ground but it's been open since 1994. What will hold it up is acquiring the land (or rights of way) and legal challenges.

Do you really need rights of way when you're burrowing UNDER things?

I can't even imagine what will come to be in my kids and grandson's lifetimes. The rate of advancement in technology is astounding.

i don't know much about it.

but the g-forces, curious on all that

From the article: Hyperloop uses magnetic levitation allowing you to glide at airplane speed in pods moving through tunnels above or below ground

I can't even imagine what will come to be in my kids and grandson's lifetimes. The rate of advancement in technology is astounding.

Most 2017 HS grads will retire from jobs/careers in fields that don't exist -- and probably aren't even thought of -- today. Think of how cell phones have changed since the 1990s when they were big, clunky "car phones". Think how much more sophisticated cell phones have become in just the last five years -- and all the people who work designing/creating/supporting them.

Do you really need rights of way when you're burrowing UNDER things?

Yes. If the gas company wants to run a gas line across your property, they have to get an easement.

The two technological problems I see are maintaining a vacuum in a tunnel hundreds of miles long. As someone mentioned earlier, the Earth shifts, not to mention nefarious actors. The second is maintaining the interior completely free of debris. The thing is supposed to get up to 700 mph. At that speed, anything can create a catastrophic failure.

I don't know what to think of Elon Musk. He's putting together these big, game changing companies, but at the same time, those companies are heavily dependent on subsidies. I can't tell if he's the next Henry Ford who is going to leave a company and industry that lasts for a century, or if the whole thing is a house of cards.