What do you think about Hyperloops

YoloinOhio

Most 2017 HS grads will retire from jobs/careers in fields that don't exist -- and probably aren't even thought of -- today. Think of how cell phones have changed since the 1990s when they were big, clunky "car phones". Think how much more sophisticated cell phones have become in just the last five years -- and all the people who work designing/creating/supporting them.

Yes. If the gas company wants to run a gas line across your property, they have to get an easement.

The gas company isn't 100 feet down.

Not sure I can see the feasibility of a Hyperloop. But I'm looking to get a Tesla 100D. So there's that.

I totally get that, but I wouldn't have imagined a simple calculator (as big as a paperback book) that cost a fortune becoming a joke and now a tiny phone in your hand gives you almost all the information known to man at your fingertips. All in less than my simple lifetime. It should be quite a ride!

Will it make less traffic on the interstate? That's where I will be driving.

MAYBE, until you get comfortable and want to save 6.5 hours on a 7 hour drive?

I'm not saying this will happen any time soon, but I don't rule much out. About 100 years ago, we were trying to get a plane off the ground. Now? We drive remote control cars around on Mars and do science experiments. WOW!

I don't know what to think of Elon Musk. He's putting together these big, game changing companies, but at the same time, those companies are heavily dependent on subsidies. I can't tell if he's the next Henry Ford who is going to leave a company and industry that lasts for a century, or if the whole thing is a house of cards.

So is GM. Remember TARP?

Not sure I can see the feasibility of a Hyperloop. But I'm looking to get a Tesla 100D. So there's that.

Get it while you can. In 30 years, you'll call your pod-vehicle ALA Uber and travel to any destination. Won't have need to own a car.

That shift may happen even sooner. Once the autonomous vehicles are fully set (5-10 years) the follow-on is the end of individual auto ownership.

It can't happen soon enough.

I totally get that, but I wouldn't have imagined a simple calculator (as big as a paperback book) that cost a fortune becoming a joke and now a tiny phone in your hand gives you almost all the information known to man at your fingertips. All in less than my simple lifetime. It should be quite a ride!

I can understand the science behind it. I just see more going wrong than right with it.

Get it while you can. In 30 years, you'll call your pod-vehicle ALA Uber and travel to any destination. Won't have need to own a car.

That shift may happen even sooner. Once the autonomous vehicles are fully set (5-10 years) the follow-on is the end of individual auto ownership.

It can't happen soon enough.

I agree and that's why I'm getting it: the full self-driving capability coming in about 2 years (it's practically here with their enhanced auto-pilot feature). The fewer people who are actually driving the better it will be.

I figure I'll have the car about 10 years and then ideally around that time the pods will be in full force and affordable.

Edited by Doc