Official Out of Town Bills Fan Interactions Thread

Thought it might be fun to have a thread detailing our Bills fan interactions for us out of towners. Maybe see if we can make a TBD connection with the guy you just talked about the draft with at the grocery store, or that car that just passed you on the highway rocking a Bills sticker. Judging by some other threads going right now, we're pretty bored so let's see what we got!

I'll start. I had a tee time at Turnberry here in Cbus this past Sunday morning and when walking into the clubhouse to pay, I saw a pickup truck in the parking lot with at least 4-5 Bills/Sabres stickers. Think it was a F150. Never saw a person near it to give a Go Bills. Also today got passed by what I think was a Honda minivan rocking a Bills bumper sticker. It was on 270 on the east side near 670 just before noon. Any other out of towners have recent encounters with fellow suffering Bills fans in their current town, while traveling, etc.?

whoever sat next to me at the second sabres/canes game was from Richmond and probably on here.

and i also sat about 5 rows behind an ex girlfriend for that one, too, with the girlfriend at the time

I live in WNY but whenever I travel I usually wear my Bills hat and it never fails I always get a few Go Bills and Heyy Ay Ay Ay's everytime

BILLS FANS ARE EVERYWHERE

Partly because so few stay in WNY. But I do love running into them all over! I've been in the southeast for over 30 years, and it's never surprising to find a group of Bills fans.

We started the 518 lunch group. Some of us had never met and some of us had.

Had never met chef Jim before driving 3 hours to have wine with him and his wife. (Hot niece also).

did the same with mike in Horsehead.

Met Rocky88 from California when he and his wife came to a game. Went out for dinner night before game. Talk and text all the time.

Same with Danny from Ohio.

Promo and I have done lunch several times.

I put a TBD park at Hammers before each game after the home opener for those that may not have anyone to park with when they come to a game. Have made lots of friends over the last 2 years

Post and see who lives near you and do a get together for lunch.

Wife and I are spending February with Flaz in his shed. Lol

Have met people all over.

Edited by mead107

I live in WNY but whenever I travel I usually wear my Bills hat and it never fails I always get a few Go Bills and Heyy Ay Ay Ay's everytime

BILLS FANS ARE EVERYWHERE

I was in Budapest last December. Just had a hat, didn't bring the jacket, but met a very nice couple from Hamburg. Also met BILLS fans in Paris, and Rome. Ya just never know!

Last game in Chicago, Opening Day a few years back. I parked @ work by Navy Pier and was going to take a cab up to Lincoln Park after dropping my car off. So I am standing in the cab stand in front of The Pier and there are ton of people ahead of me. I see three Bills fans, all decked out in full Bills apparel, get in back seat of a cab. I shout: "Hey Bills fans, where you going?" They said Lincoln Park. I said the same and asked if they mind I grab the passenger seat. They said no problem. During the ride we talk, told them I live here, etc... etc... Standard convo. After cab ride, I paid the full fare. They thanked me and offered to buy me a drink, but we were going to different places. I thanked them for letting me tag along. They got a free ride and I jumped the huge queue. The Chicago people ahead of me didn't look amused. LoL

A few years ago I was out west for work, maybe Colorado? I'm in the office of a fast food restuarant talking with a manager when I notice a weekly bulletin from their district manager that had RW's picture on it. (It was around the time of his death) I asked the manager about it and they told me the DM was a big Bills fan and was always including little blurbs about the Bills in his weekly bulletins to the stores. I did get to finally meet him at one of the stores.

A related note, I was in Arizona and the DM there was a Giants fan. The week I was there, one of my co-workers I was with is a Pats fan. It was fun introducing them to each other, not as employees, but as which team they were fans of.

Last game in Chicago, Opening Day a few years back. I parked @ work by Navy Pier and was going to take a cab up to Lincoln Park after dropping my car off. So I am standing in the cab stand in front of The Pier and there are ton of people ahead of me. I see three Bills fans, all decked out in full Bills apparel, get in back seat of a cab. I shout: "Hey Bills fans, where you going?" They said Lincoln Park. I said the same and asked if they mind I grab the passenger seat. They said no problem. During the ride we talk, told them I live here, etc... etc... Standard convo. After cab ride, I paid the full fare. They thanked me and offered to buy me a drink, but we were going to different places. I thanked them for letting me tag along. They got a free ride and I jumped the huge queue. The Chicago people ahead of me didn't look amused. LoL

So you work the lock by Navy Pier? I was in Chicago recently and went thru on a Sea Dog cruise Saturday after the 4th. I had no idea there was a even a lock there til that day.

Helped pull a boat in one time that ran out of gas. When we got it in and docked, the name was the Talleywacker and it had a picture of Darryl, Bruce, and Bennett screenprinted on the side of it. This was in the 90s, so the technology wasnt really there yet, so it looked like 3 random dudes wearing Bills uniforms.

In Virginia I run into fellow Bills fans all the time.

Out cutting XMas Trees, walking Harpers Ferry and other touristy places, when out shopping and of course many at work.

What kills me is walking into Wegmans and seeing Redskins stuff. Proud someshit or another.

If anyone says anything about my Bills gear I tell them Danny was a Bills fan.

So you work the lock by Navy Pier? I was in Chicago recently and went thru on a Sea Dog cruise Saturday after the 4th. I had no idea there was a even a lock there til that day.

Yep. Only two ways to enter Western Rivers and Inlands (Inland Waterways) and it is Chicago River @ Chicago Harbor or Calumet River @ Calumet Harbor. You can take a boat from BFLo to Pitt or even Tulsa, Oklahoma (Port of Catoosa) if you want. Calumet Harbor, Cal-Sag route is heavy industry and bridges operate 24/7/365 just like the locks. Bridges in the immediate Chicago Downtown (The Loop) area are NOT 24/7. Both Cal-Sag and ChiRiver meet up @ the "Sag Junction" (~mile 306) & then head south to Gulf of Mexico. Lake Michigan is ~mile marker 335 above the MS River @ Grafton, IL for both Calumet and Chicago Harbor routes, give or take a few miles

I have a "Life on the Lock" thread on Off The Wall. ;-)

Seadogs and other vessels like Wendella, etc... Over winter on the Calumet. Going all the way around by boat is called: "The Chicago Loop" tour. Google it.

My duty station is actually on SouthSide @ other lock (O'Brien: Mile 326.5). Chicago Harbor Lock is USACE also... So same employer. They let me park there. I always mused the idea of going from the "suburban" lock @ O'Brien (actually still in City Limits) and transferring to Chicago District, O'Brien is Rock Island District, but it is such a zoo downtown in summer. Smaller lock too and virtually no commercial cargo, just commercial passenger & pleasure craft.

We gotta a guy leaving for Chicago Harbor now. He's temp here while a lock operator is in Afghanistan helping out till December. Our temp co-worker can be permanent if he takes job @ Navy Pier lock.

Where we reverse the flows and make it flow "backwards." ;-)

• 1 year later...

Met a guy from Alden this morning at the Publix across the street... he had a Fredex t-shirt on, was down here (FL) visiting family. This time of year I'll run into a Bills fan a few times a week but once the regular season starts its every day, pretty cool club we belong to... I enjoy the back home/Bills conversations. All it takes is the logo and its an immediate connection.

Got pulled over a few years back. Cop asks if I'm a hockey fan. Living in a small town about 30 minutes out of Houston, that was a weird question. I said yes. He asked if I was a Sabres fan. I said yes. "I saw the sticker on the back of your car. My wife would kill me if she found out I gave a ticket to a Sabres or Bills fan. Just slow it down please. have a good night."

• Like (+1) 2

I love the reaction I get any time I'm able to pull up alongside another Buffalo car and give them the old "let's go Buffalo" horn honk.  It starts out as "why is this a-hole hitting his horn" and then quickly turns to a happy wave.

• Like (+1) 2

While doing a stint with Greenpeace in 2004, I was helping to build a bridge with some poor villagers in Uganda.  When we got back to the village to have a meal with the chief in his mud hut, I noticed that all the kids were running around in Buffalo Bills 1993 Super Bowl champions t-shirts.  Who knew?  I started to recite the shout song, but they all looked at me like I was crazy.  Bills fans everywhere....

• Haha (+1) 3

42 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

I ran into a kid at a local Wawa with a bills hat. As is my custom, I'll give a "go bills." Turned into a 5 minute conversation.

\

It's funny, that "Go Bills" greeting. I used it on a plane once, I was seated and saw a guy with a Bills shirt coming up the aisle. As he got to my row, I just said "Go Bills" and he replied the same, and just kept walking to his seat. You don't even need to have a conversation, just the greeting can be enough to acknowledge each other. 

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

While doing a stint with Greenpeace in 2004, I was helping to build a bridge with some poor villagers in Uganda.  When we got back to the village to have a meal with the chief in his mud hut, I noticed that all the kids were running around in Buffalo Bills 1993 Super Bowl champions t-shirts.  Who knew?  I started to recite the shout song, but they all looked at me like I was crazy.  Bills fans everywhere....

Did you try to get a shirt?