Panthers Fire GM Dave Gettleman

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I look at it like - we've had scouts run the team. They didn't do a great job of valuing players based on their contributions, and over-valued certain players with regards to picks (sammy, EJ, kouandjo, graham, goodwin), as well as money (Dareus, Glenn, Tyrods first deal, repeatedly paying harvin). Overpaying, and bad cap habits are the reason we lost players like woods, gilmore, Searcy, Levitre. We may have still lost some of them because of contract demands, but we should have at least had the cap space to replace them more effectively.

Now having said that, they did bring in many talented players and free agents. We aren't at a browns level of incompetence.

Dareus and Glenn are a hell of a better use of cash than Woods, Searcy and Harvin. Edited by GunnerBill

It's not. South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi and Alabama is it.

Being from NC is fine. I was just responding to someone that said "he spent his whole life in the South." The South doesn't consider NC a part of the South.

I'm simply giving a quick geography lesson and how the South views things. Having spent a decade now in the South I have a pretty good take. I spent the first 26 years in the North so I know how they view things.

Here is another quick geography/history lesson - Richmond, VA was the Capitol of the south and if you've ever been there you'd know how southern it is.

Here is another quick geography/history lesson - Richmond, VA was the Capitol of the south and if you've ever been there you'd know how southern it is.

I've been there but I wasn't there in the 1860's.

It doesn't feel like the same way that Brookhaven, Mississippi does. I tried to let the topic die.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Back to the future for Carolina Panthers!

They've hired back the GM who brought them Luke, Cam, etc.:

@

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account

@RapSheet

Following

More

The #Panthers are finalizing a deal to hire former GM Marty Hurney as their new interim GM, source said. Will take them through 2017.

He also put them in cap hell, which is why panthers fans are jumping off the bridge so fast.

Inside story of how stunning firing of Panthers GM Dave Gettleman unfolded

http://amp.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article162968358.html

Gettleman's gruff manner was offset somewhat by assistant GM Brandon Beane, whose personable nature allowed him to serve as a go-between among the front office, coaching staff and locker room.

Beane was considered the heir apparent for Gettlemans job before he joined former Panthers defensive coordinator Sean McDermott as the GM in Buffalo. Losing Beane put further strain on some of Gettlemans work relationships, according to sources.

Tolbert said Beane acted as a buffer for Gettleman.

Without a doubt, he said. As players we all love Beane. We all love being around him. Hes part of the reason we did what we did. Im happy to have him in Buffalo now, I can tell you that much.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I just hope Beane isn't TOO player friendly when it comes to contracts and the like. I also hope that being well liked and personable can attract FA's that would normally pass on us. Either way, its out with the old and in with the new. Let's get this culture finally changed!

Inside story of how stunning firing of Panthers GM Dave Gettleman unfolded

http://amp.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article162968358.html

Just read this. Pretty good endorsement of Beane from Tolbert. TBH, Tolbert's skills have deteriorated. He doesn't hit the holes with the quickness and force he did 2 years ago. Can he regain that? We will see -- but he makes the Bills on leadership alone this year.

Edited by JoeF

Tolbert is going to have a career in something great beyond football. The guy is loved.

Very much agree. Plus he is very worth keeping around for a couple of years as a wedge buster and wedge maker on KO and KOR return and for leadership. I have a feeling though the Bills are going to have to look elsewhere for 3rd and 4th and less than one pick-ups, just from watching Carolina last year...

I still see Tolbert as one of those guys that every new HC brings in from his former team who knows and embraces how he wants players to play, prepare, attitude, etc., someone who will understand what he's trying to teach and instill and bring that into the locker room and throughout TC. In my line of work if there is a merger or acquisition into a new territory, we call the people we move there to grow the company as "culture carriers." I always thought it sounded like something you grow in a Petri dish but alas, it's a similar concept.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Very much agree. Plus he is very worth keeping around for a couple of years as a wedge buster and wedge maker on KO and KOR return and for leadership. I have a feeling though the Bills are going to have to look elsewhere for 3rd and 4th and less than one pick-ups, just from watching Carolina last year...

Hire him as a coach if he can't do the core duties on the field