I'll say this for Fitzy

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantasy land. Fitz is a choker when the lights are the brightest. He's proven that time and time again with exhibit A being the 2015 season finale where he predictably turned into an interception machine with the NYJ playoff chances there for the taking.

with the defense we had we needed smart football. He had that for us. We could have limited his turnovers by playing him like we do Taylor. Both Taylor and Fitz are equal in quality.

History tainted fitz. It will taytay when he is gone, too.

I don't think it's fair to say he's a choker. He just doesn't have the physical talents (arm strength being the most obvious) to win in those big spots. Teams just start to take away the quick outs and stuff over the middle and he becomes a much easier QB to defend and makes more mistakes. Its more physical errors than the mental ones I associate with being a choker.

He's a choker. Or, if you don't like the word, let's just say he doesn't deliver in the clutch.

If Fitz had physical problems, his performance would be the same at different times during the game. But that isn't true in his case. When the game is on the line, he plays worse than the rest of the game.

Over his career, Fitz threw 29% of his passes in the fourth quarter or in overtime. He threw 30% of his TDs in the fourth quarter or overtime - that's what you'd expect. But Fitzy threw - get this - 45% of his INTs in the fourth quarter or overtime. That means he's making bad decisions with the football. If he had physical problems, his INTs would be or less the same as his attempts and TDs.

Compare him to a successful gunslinger - Roethlisberger. Like Fitzy, Ben takes risks. Difference is, Ben knows which risks to take. Over his career, Ben threw 25% of his passes in the fourth quarter and overtime, 27% of his TDs (a lot like Fitzy) but only 31% of his INTs. Late in the game, if you're losing, you're going to take some risks that result in more INTs. That's why Ben's INT rate is higher than his attempt rate. But the point is, Ben's INT rate is in the ballpark with his attempt rate. Fitz's isn't. Fitz takes bad bets with the ball in the fourth quarter - he always has.

Call that choking, call it bad decision making. Call it whatever you want. The data coincides with what we all think we've seen from him for years - Fitz takes his team out of games with ill-advised late-game throws.

I give Fitz credit - he plays with no fear. He isn't afraid to make mistakes. But when it's your last possession, down 5 pionts, it's third and 8 and you throw an INT, that's a really, really bad play. Fitz specializes in it.

He was an economics major.

When he came to Buffalo, he said that his junior year in college he was planning on getting a job on Wall Street. Then he started getting interest from the pros, and he unexpectedly ended up with a football career. Someone asked him then what he'd do when he retired. He said probably go home to Arizona and drink beer.

If he's made $54 million, he's probably paid $15 million in taxes, so he's around $40 million net. Probably spent a half million a year for the past 12 years. So he's saved maybe $30 million. Obviously, I don't talk to Fitz so I don't know what he's thinking, but I doubt he'll go to Wall Street. He's set for life (he can take $750,000 a year for life from his investments, and you can live a pretty good life on that). Why would he move his family to New York and plug himself into that rat race, just so he can earn another $1 million a year? He'll do something more than sit around and drink beer, but I'm betting it big-time investment banking is no longer in his future.

Save for Kurt Warner, he has made more money ($54 million, including the Tampa Bay one year deal) than any QB in NFL history drafted later than him (250th, 7th round), or undrafted.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tampa-bay-buccaneers/ryan-fitzpatrick-1336/cash-earnings/

I dont know why.....but when I think of Fitz I immediately think of Peterman

I always loved his line that went something like "I picked the one job in the world where having a Harvard degree is considered a bad thing."

I heard prostitute is the other. just saying. Fitz is still choking btw, on his steak lunch at some fine restaurant right now as we right about him sucking, and being a rich mfer.

Tony Romo?

Yup just checked, he made $127 million.

Tony Romo was not drafted. He specifically said drafted and then cited Kurt Warner who many (not Cowboy fans) consider the best UDFA QB ever.

Over his career, Fitz threw 29% of his passes in the fourth quarter or in overtime. He threw 30% of his TDs in the fourth quarter or overtime - that's what you'd expect. But Fitzy threw - get this - 45% of his INTs in the fourth quarter or overtime. That means he's making bad decisions with the football. If he had physical problems, his INTs would be or less the same as his attempts and TDs.

He was often behind or on weak teams so he took chances - just citing stats is a failing argument since it is not accounting for situation.

Edited by Limeaid

Tony Romo was not drafted. He specifically said drafted.

Nope, sorry he didn't...

Save for Kurt Warner, he has made more money ($54 million, including the Tampa Bay one year deal) than any QB in NFL history drafted later than him (250th, 7th round), or undrafted.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tampa-bay-buccaneers/ryan-fitzpatrick-1336/cash-earnings/

And besides that Kurt Warner wasn't drafted, so there's that.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

I disagree because he makes plenty of dumb decisions (that lead him into physical errors) as a QB irrespective of his Harvard pedigree.

I don't the mistakes were mainly bad decisions, he takes higher risks but the bigger issue is the inability to fit the ball into tight spots or loosen up the defenses with the threat of the long ball

He's a choker. Or, if you don't like the word, let's just say he doesn't deliver in the clutch.

If Fitz had physical problems, his performance would be the same at different times during the game. But that isn't true in his case. When the game is on the line, he plays worse than the rest of the game.

Compare him to a successful gunslinger - Roethlisberger. Like Fitzy, Ben takes risks. Difference is, Ben knows which risks to take. Over his career, Ben threw 25% of his passes in the fourth quarter and overtime, 27% of his TDs (a lot like Fitzy) but only 31% of his INTs. Late in the game, if you're losing, you're going to take some risks that result in more INTs. That's why Ben's INT rate is higher than his attempt rate. But the point is, Ben's INT rate is in the ballpark with his attempt rate. Fitz's isn't. Fitz takes bad bets with the ball in the fourth quarter - he always has.

Call that choking, call it bad decision making. Call it whatever you want. The data coincides with what we all think we've seen from him for years - Fitz takes his team out of games with ill-advised late-game throws.

I give Fitz credit - he plays with no fear. He isn't afraid to make mistakes. But when it's your last possession, down 5 pionts, it's third and 8 and you throw an INT, that's a really, really bad play. Fitz specializes in it.

The QB's you mentioned all have much better arms than Fitzy, they make throws that would be interceptions if thrown by him. I can think of several late and close games where Fitzpatrick made some late plays win win games just as he has lost them. Choking generally refers to a player getting uptight, afraid to lose, playing scared. I don't think that describes Fitzy.

Ryan Fitzpatrick having a career as an NFL quarterback seems like it was a science experiment. Or the result of him winning a contest.

The guy is truly atrocious.

Silly post. He is one of the 40 best qbs on the planet. Jealous is an ugly trait.

i love fitz. seems like a great guy with a terrific sense of humor. by all accounts was a great teammate. he played the qb position as if he had about three times as much talents as what he was given. he has a toughness, and he always gave everything he had. one guy i would absolutely love to have a beer with someday.