Father's Day stories

So, I'm sure many of you have great stories about sharing your love of the Bills with your Dads or sons. Bring them on: Stories, traditions etc

Today, my wife is out of town on a trip. My son John and I sat down and watched the No Punt game that was shared in an earlier thread. John has been raised as a Bills fan but the team has sucked his whole life. It was cool for him to see Kelly and Young slinging it as well as how much rougher the contact was back then.

We go to every Bills Panthers game( we live in Charlotte) and plan on doing that the rest of our lives.

I remember the first time my dad took me to the Ralph. I'm not sure if it was the smell of the tailgates, the crisp fall air on my face or the guy taking a dump in the urinal, but that was a special day.

Happy Father's Day to all!

Edited by Juice_32

This is my first Father's Day! We also live in Charlotte and are headed to the knights game today!

Funny things I remember about being with my dad are spending the first two Super Bowls in the emergency room cause I tackled my brother into him splitting my dads eye brow open. And in the second one he was running to me in the basement after a score and I came running up the stairs swinging the door wide open knocking him out cold! I miss that guy! Can't wait for my own bills memories...I'm gonna try and get my boy to the bills game this year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is my first Father's Day! We also live in Charlotte and are headed to the knights game today! Funny things I remember about being with my dad are spending the first two Super Bowls in the emergency room cause I tackled my brother into him splitting my dads eye brow open. And in the second one he was running to me in the basement after a score and I came running up the stairs swinging the door wide open knocking him out cold! I miss that guy! Can't wait for my own bills memories...I'm gonna try and get my boy to the bills game this year! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

....congratulations friend and wishing many happy days ahead......keep an eye out because they grow up so fast, you'll be buying cars and paying college tuition before you know it... :thumbsup:....BTW, the standard line, "dad can I BORROW ten bucks does NOT come with a payback...."Dad and borrow" are oxymorons....LOL..........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

My favorite Bills memory with my Dad is "The Greatest Comeback Ever" game. My Uncle has had season tickets in section 131 for 30 years and will get up and walk out when the game isn't going well. He usually just goes and sits in the car and waits for my dad and I. My dad refuses to leave games early and has always been like that. He always says "You wouldn't leave a movie early would you?" And if I ever see a crappy movie at home I do turn them off before they are done, I've honestly never left a theatre early. It's a game and experience I'll never forget.

Thanks Dad and hopefully I can share the same experiences with my daughter.

This is my first Father's Day! We also live in Charlotte and are headed to the knights game today! Funny things I remember about being with my dad are spending the first two Super Bowls in the emergency room cause I tackled my brother into him splitting my dads eye brow open. And in the second one he was running to me in the basement after a score and I came running up the stairs swinging the door wide open knocking him out cold! I miss that guy! Can't wait for my own bills memories...I'm gonna try and get my boy to the bills game this year!Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on your first father's day man. Here's to many more good ones to come.

fathers day.

nope. not something i celebrate.

This is my first Father's Day! We also live in Charlotte and are headed to the knights game today! Funny things I remember about being with my dad are spending the first two Super Bowls in the emergency room cause I tackled my brother into him splitting my dads eye brow open. And in the second one he was running to me in the basement after a score and I came running up the stairs swinging the door wide open knocking him out cold! I miss that guy! Can't wait for my own bills memories...I'm gonna try and get my boy to the bills game this year! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thats awesome. remember you saying a while back you had one on the way.

great day here to celebrate it. just a pinch too hot

October 18, 1970. Dolphins at Bills. My dad took me to my first NFL game at the old Rockpile. End zone seats. I was 8 years old and had just gotten into football that season. Dolphins were starting to put things together and would be Super Bowl bound the next season. Dennis Shaw threw for 348 yards (that didn't happen all that often in those days! He was my first Bills hero), Marlin Briscoe caught 2 TDs (no, I didn't remember these things but Pro Football Reference does), and O.J. danced around behind the line of scrimmage and somehow picked up 35 yards rushing (I do recall the dancing and my dad muttering about how he'd never amount to anything in the NFL unless he learns to hit the hole that exists, not the one he wishes would exist).

Dolphins destroyed the Bills 33-14, part of what would become a long, long trend. I ate stuff like crackerjack and had trouble following the game for quarters at a time, particularly when it all was happening in the opposite end zone as the Dolphins chewed up the yards.

Did I mention that It was a great day with dad at the stadium?

The next year the economic decline of Buffalo seemed to speed up to a frenzy and my dad lost his job and we had to move away from Buffalo to a city far from any NFL team in those days. I didn't see another NFL game with him for 38 years. The second time around, the Bills beat the Broncos in Denver and effectively ended their playoff hopes. To this day I believe that this was the game that ended Mike Shanahan's rum as Broncos coach. It was about 5 degrees in Mile High in mid-December by the time the game ended, but when things started the sun was out and after a rough first Broncos series it became obvious that the Bills had come to play and the Jay Cutler and the Broncos hadn't. We stuck it out till the end as Broncos fans made their escape to the warmth of their heated cars. Dick Jauron the motivator. Trent Edwards for a moment there looked just like Dennis Shaw in 1970. And he soon continued to resemble Dennis Shaw in his quick slide into oblivion.

It was another great day with dad at a different stadium. 38 years later.

Happy Father's Day, Dad, and all dads everywhere ....

Edited by The Frankish Reich

October 18, 1970. Dolphins at Bills. My dad took me to my first NFL game at the old Rockpile. End zone seats. I was 8 years old and had just gotten into football that season. Dolphins were starting to put things together and would be Super Bowl bound the next season. Dennis Shaw threw for 348 yards (that didn't happen all that often in those days! He was my first Bills hero), Marlin Briscoe caught 2 TDs (no, I didn't remember these things but Pro Football Reference does), and O.J. danced around behind the line of scrimmage and somehow picked up 35 yards rushing (I do recall the dancing and my dad muttering about how he'd never amount to anything in the NFL unless he learns to hit the hole that exists, not the one he wishes would exist).

Dolphins destroyed the Bills 33-14, part of what would become a long, long trend. I ate stuff like crackerjack and had trouble following the game for quarters at a time, particularly when it all was happening in the opposite end zone as the Dolphins chewed up the yards.

Did I mention that It was a great day at the stadium?

Happy Father's Day, Dad, and all dads ....

I think I sat next to you that day. :)

My Uncle is the one who took me to many games at the Old Rockpile. My 1st game with my Dad was '73 MNF vs KC. OJ had 100+ yrds and went over the 1000 yd mark in the 7th game (of a 14 game season). The quest for 2000 was ON!

We won the game -1st ever MNF game for the Bills.

Good topic... and some good stories.

Unfortunately, my own dad isn't a Bills fan - or any kind of NFL fan. He was 40 years already when Ralph brought the Bills to Buffalo and never learned to like them. Well, at least he's not a Pats fan either.

He's so blue-collar that he thinks Monday thru Saturday are for the job and Sunday is for chores around the house (not for silly games). You're not a man if you're not productive. He retired from his truck driving drive job when he was 63, hated retirement, and got a new job when he was 64 and kept on working for the next twenty years until no one would hire him anymore. Frustrated he couldn't get a paying job, he become a volunteer fireman when he was 89.

Today my dad is 97 and goes to the gym at the firehouse 5 days a week - he figures he's got to stay busy somehow.

My dad got into the NFL when it was big in the UK the first time around..... the 80s. He remembers the Bills Superbowl teams and even rooted against them once.... he is a Redskins fan. :sick:

By the time I got into the NFL his interest had kind of waned... but since he retired a few years ago his interest has returned somewhat. His wife on the other hand was not all that pleased when I informed her last Christmas Eve that we would need to be back from the traditional pub trip by 6pm because the Bills were playing :lol: .

my dad cant stand football and literally made me give him the remote and changed the channel anytime he walked into the living room.... so that was fun.....

Well at least you can't blame him for sticking you with this franchise.

Well at least you can't blame him for sticking you with this franchise.

hahaha. very good point. i can just blame that on the fact that back in 92 when i was 7, they had sweet friggin helmets..... who knew it'd develop into the sickness that is being a bills fan.

My father died when I was young so there is no stories there, however, I have a 6yo and we tend to play a lot and other times he just tells me what I am going to buy him after he kisses me and tells me I'm the best and he loves me. He knows how to work me over.

Edited by Jerry Christ

For as long as I remember my brother (Fla) and I (NC) have flown up to Buffalo in October to take my Dad to a game - for the last 10 years or so we started taking our sons too. My Dad always says it's one of the things he looks forward to the most every year. Last year my nephew said "I just want the Bills to get back in the playoffs and maybe win it all while Grandpa's still here". I resisted the urge to say I'll settle for while we're still here...

My Dad used to bug me to go to games when I was about 8.

He was a nasty drunk and I was afraid of him but there was something I sensed as a kid; that it was important to him.

After a few years of him asking me I said yes..... First game he took me to was Miami, the first time we beat them in a decade. I was ten.

Needless to say I was hooked, he took the time to explain it to me, didn't yell at me, bought me hot chocolate.... he was a Dad. The Bills were the only thing we ever shared. The only time he was nice to me.

I went to every game during the Chuck Knox era except Pittsburgh ( held Bradshaw to 9 yards passing or something) because I was sick.

He died when I was 14 having his second liver operation. No boo hooing. One thing I learned as a boy was how to be a parent by doing the exact opposite of what my parents did.

My boy John LOVES football. He's the one I go to if I have NFL questions. We share other things though, guitar and fishing to name two.

Someday the Bills will win a Super Bowl and we will celebrate it as a family. I will hug him and tell him I love him.

Having a kid is such a privilege.

My Dad used to bug me to go to games when I was about 8.

He was a nasty drunk and I was afraid of him but there was something I sensed as a kid; that it was important to him.

After a few years of him asking me I said yes..... First game he took me to was Miami, the first time we beat them in a decade. I was ten.

Needless to say I was hooked, he took the time to explain it to me, didn't yell at me, bought me hot chocolate.... he was a Dad. The Bills were the only thing we ever shared. The only time he was nice to me.

I went to every game during the Chuck Knox era except Pittsburgh ( held Bradshaw to 9 yards passing or something) because I was sick.

He died when I was 14 having his second liver operation. No boo hooing. One thing I learned as a boy was how to be a parent by doing the exact opposite of what my parents did.

My boy John LOVES football. He's the one I go to if I have NFL questions. We share other things though, guitar and fishing to name two.

Someday the Bills will win a Super Bowl and we will celebrate it as a family. I will hug him and tell him I love him.

Having a kid is such a privilege.

Just wanted to say thanks for the story. Glad to see you turned a difficult situation into a huge benefit for your son.

For as long as I remember my brother (Fla) and I (NC) have flown up to Buffalo in October to take my Dad to a game - for the last 10 years or so we started taking our sons too. My Dad always says it's one of the things he looks forward to the most every year. Last year my nephew said "I just want the Bills to get back in the playoffs and maybe win it all while Grandpa's still here". I resisted the urge to say I'll settle for while we're still here...

I hope so too, young fella..(your son). Then again, read my sig line..