Buffalo Bills Myths

Have you watched a steelers or dolphins game recently? Brown and landry each get like 5 a game....

right. before i got done even reading the original post my mind immediately went to a nifty little screen that brown took to the house last year in the playoffs from about 40 or 50 out.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Myth - The Bills had a great off season in 2017

Truth - The Bills are mostly projected to win 6-7 games in 2017 - If true, it is inconsistant with the notion that they had a great off season, as teams with great off seasons tend to win more games that year, not less, and certainly not the same

jc

exactly... its lost on me why they opened up that part of his game. it was huge for him in college.

My point exactly,

If Sammy gets the same coverage look that he saw in college, we'd be stupid not to incorporate bubble screens. He's more than capable.

If anyone gets a chance, I urge you to review Sammy's college career. His freshman year opposing DCs had their CBs playing tighter coverages and he burned them repeatedly over the top. Towards the end of that year and for both years that followed, Sammy saw a healthy diet of CBs playing 5-10 yards off the line. Sweeney started dialing up bubble screens with regularity and killed defenses with them.

My only concern with bubble screens is the ability of our OLine to execute them. We are just not a very good screening team. Some of that is on TT, but our OLine had a tough time with them, regardless.

Yes...screens in college work amazing because you have 6'4" Sammy against a 6' kid from Georgia Tech who is studying to be a podiatrist.

right. before i got done even reading the original post my mind immediately went to a nifty little screen that brown took to the house last year in the playoffs from about 40 or 50 out.

Or just.... every bills dolphins game where they throw little passes to landry over and over again.

It's not particularly effective but they definitely do it.

Truth - The Bills are mostly projected to win 6-7 games in 2017 - If true, it is inconsistant with the notion that they had a great off season, as teams with great off seasons tend to win more games that year, not less, and certainly not the same

jc

Myth: Projections matter. :lol:

Or just.... every bills dolphins game where they throw little passes to landry over and over again.

It's not particularly effective but they definitely do it.

All little passes are not "bubble screens" (as that term is over used and defined)

My point exactly,

Yes...screens in college work amazing because you have 6'4" Sammy against a 6' kid from Georgia Tech who is studying to be a podiatrist.

Isn't it just a matter of faking a cut (which he's good at) and getting the defender on their heels... then taking it either inside or outside?

Edited by dneveu

An actual myth that grinds my gears...

"That rookie will not be able to rely on "insert skill here" in the NFL, because everyone is bigger, stronger and faster"

Every year there is some rookie who comes in and tears apart NFL veterans, because he is bigger, stronger or faster than the guy he lines up across from.

....perhaps that is the origin of the "sophomore slump"........some are unaffected, others rebound in their 3rd year whereas others are figured out and NEVER rebound (offensively, RGIII and Kaep were figured out).....Kahil Mack is an unaffected example.......is it coaching?...or an overweight wallet?....or ??.......

My point exactly,

Everything Sammy did in college worked amazing, regardless of the relative athletic skill opposing him. You seem to not appreciate Sammy's elite athletic gifts. He's hard to defend and if we get a CB playing 5-10 yds off the line, he will kill defenses just as he did in college.

OLine and other blockers permitting.

I read title and thought one major myth

1) Bills only had to beat Stillers and they were in. They needed Jets to lose to Rams, and they were winning when Bills loss went final. Jets rested starters from there as they were in and lost in OT.

I don't think many are saying this (aside from the typical hope that a new GM/Coach brings). The front office made the same offseason missteps in asset management that it has been making for the past decade. Hopefully Beane can turn it around.

Myth: A stud RB can lead you to the playoffs.

No, a stud RB can lead your fantasy team to the playoffs. In today's NFL it's almost always preferable to use the running back by committee approach, it provides redundancy in case of injury.

I guess we can use this as a thread to argue certain myths relating to the Bills roster.

Here's one:

Myth: "Sammy Watkins would excel if we incorporated more "bubble screens" in our playbook like he ran in college"

Truth: The CB's that covered Sammy in college are not Aqib Talib or Josh Norman type CB's (i.e. professional football players.) They are faster, stronger and more football savvy than the freshman and sophomore CB's that Sammy tore up as a junior and senior at Clemson. The LB's in the NFL are likewise faster and can react to screens better than the underclassmen LB's that Sammy embarrassed in college.

Therefore, bubble screens won't work in the NFL which is why Sammy is used to stretch the field, not shorten it.

Once they stretch the field with his speed and the CB gets burned once or twice and starts playing off the line 5yds or more it can work.

I guess we can use this as a thread to argue certain myths relating to the Bills roster.

Here's one:

Myth: "Sammy Watkins would excel if we incorporated more "bubble screens" in our playbook like he ran in college"

Truth: The CB's that covered Sammy in college are not Aqib Talib or Josh Norman type CB's (i.e. professional football players.) They are faster, stronger and more football savvy than the freshman and sophomore CB's that Sammy tore up as a junior and senior at Clemson. The LB's in the NFL are likewise faster and can react to screens better than the underclassmen LB's that Sammy embarrassed in college.

Therefore, bubble screens won't work in the NFL which is why Sammy is used to stretch the field, not shorten it.

If you are going to play this game, you should start with something thats actually accurate. Bubble screens have been used effectively by lots of teams and players in the NFL. Even in our own Division NE has effectively used them including as part of their major comeback win on critical plays in last years Super Bowl. Where do some of you guys come up with these theories?

It's quite possible a "bubble screen" may work in a game once...but it can't be relied on as a "go to" play because players are much more intelligent in the NFL than some kid fresh out of high school in Georgia.

Also, if it was such a wonderful play, why hasn't anyone incorporated this play into our playbook in the last 10 years?

Wait...this is what your "myth" is based on? The inept Bills coaching staffs of the last 10 years and the mostly junk we have also had at WR? Do you even remember Trent Edwards...aka Captain Checkdown whose only play he could effectively run were screens and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn down filed with that noodle arm?

LMAO.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Here's one:

I wasnt sure if you are only talking about the current roster but my favorite myth of the last 20 years is 'CJ Spiller would excel if the coaches can get him in space'

Edited by Fan in Chicago

Here's one:

Would still like the bills to test it just to make sure it does not work