Buffalo Bills Myths

I guess we can use this as a thread to argue certain myths relating to the Bills roster.

Here's one:

Myth: "Sammy Watkins would excel if we incorporated more "bubble screens" in our playbook like he ran in college"

Truth: The CB's that covered Sammy in college are not Aqib Talib or Josh Norman type CB's (i.e. professional football players.) They are faster, stronger and more football savvy than the freshman and sophomore CB's that Sammy tore up as a junior and senior at Clemson. The LB's in the NFL are likewise faster and can react to screens better than the underclassmen LB's that Sammy embarrassed in college.

Therefore, bubble screens won't work in the NFL which is why Sammy is used to stretch the field, not shorten it.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've seen plenty of screens to wr's work in the nfl..... its silly to think its something in his game they shouldnt start utilizing.

It's quite possible a "bubble screen" may work in a game once...but it can't be relied on as a "go to" play because players are much more intelligent in the NFL than some kid fresh out of high school in Georgia.

Also, if it was such a wonderful play, why hasn't anyone incorporated this play into our playbook in the last 10 years?

Golden Tate is making a living on screens in the NFL. 33 receptions on screens last season. Demarious Thomas was running screens all the time with Peyton. I think you need to re-evaluate your theory.

Edited by Mark80

I guess we can use this as a thread to argue certain myths relating to the Bills roster.

Here's one:

Myth: "Sammy Watkins would excel if we incorporated more "bubble screens" in our playbook like he ran in college"

Truth: The CB's that covered Sammy in college are not Aqib Talib or Josh Norman type CB's (i.e. professional football players.) They are faster, stronger and more football savvy than the freshman and sophomore CB's that Sammy tore up as a junior and senior at Clemson. The LB's in the NFL are likewise faster and can react to screens better than the underclassmen LB's that Sammy embarrassed in college.

Therefore, bubble screens won't work in the NFL which is why Sammy is used to stretch the field, not shorten it.

Incorrect!

Golden Tate is making a living on screens in the NFL. Demarious Thomas was running screens all the time with Peyton. I think you need to re-evaluate your theory.

My theory is sound...if you can show me how well Sammy has run a "bubble screen" in the NFL, I will re-evaluate.

Incorrect!

And?

My theory is sound...if you can show me how well Sammy has run a "bubble screen" in the NFL, I will re-evaluate.

And?

Your "truth" says "bubble screens won't work in the NFL". That statement is false. Plain and simple. No one can show you Sammy doing it well because we haven't even tried it. As I edited into my other comment, Tate had 33 screen receptions last year. 33!!!

Edited by Mark80

And?

If designed and executed well, the play can be an effective part of an NFL offense as evidenced by the success other teams have enjoyed with it. Whether the Bills do or not remains to be seen.

Golden Tate is making a living on screens in the NFL. 33 receptions on screens last season. Demarious Thomas was running screens all the time with Peyton. I think you need to re-evaluate your theory.

Yeah, cbs hate tackling. Plus, if you have a cb playing off, it's a great way to force them up and you can beat them for bigger yardages.

Bottom line is you should get your stud players the ball as often as possible. Sammy's only play shouldn't just be throw it as deep as you can and have him try to make a play.

Your "truth" says "bubble screens won't work in the NFL". That statement is false. Plain and simple. No one can show you Sammy doing it well because we haven't even tried it. As I edited into my other comment, Tate had 33 screen receptions last year. 33!!!

exactly... its lost on me why they opened up that part of his game. it was huge for him in college.

I admit I don't watch a ton of college football. I also can say I watched almost all of Sammy's college games. He would have a ton of success with bubble screens. I would also hit him with some quick slants. He was like a rb when he got the football in his hands. He can juke players or lower his shoulder and run then over.

I really hope he stays healthy. He is the complete receiver. So far in his pro career they have mainly used him as a deep threat. He has so much more to offer. Also, giving him a few screens a game might cause the cb to play him a little tighter. This will open things up for him with his route running and deep balls. The old saying they use a lot for rbs that he can get open in a phone booth applies to him.

If Dareus and Sammy can stay healthy and on the field good things can happen this year. Both of them are elite top 5 talents at their positions. Defensive coordinators worry about Sammy. Go check out the Ravens game last year where Sammy was mic'd. The defensive coordinator ran all the way across the field passing everyone to find Sammy. I don't remember the exact words but it was something like you are a special player and we were worried about you.

Edited by bills7834

If Sammy gets the same coverage look that he saw in college, we'd be stupid not to incorporate bubble screens. He's more than capable.

If anyone gets a chance, I urge you to review Sammy's college career. His freshman year opposing DCs had their CBs playing tighter coverages and he burned them repeatedly over the top. Towards the end of that year and for both years that followed, Sammy saw a healthy diet of CBs playing 5-10 yards off the line. Sweeney started dialing up bubble screens with regularity and killed defenses with them.

My only concern with bubble screens is the ability of our OLine to execute them. We are just not a very good screening team. Some of that is on TT, but our OLine had a tough time with them, regardless.

Yeah, cbs hate tackling. Plus, if you have a cb playing off, it's a great way to force them up and you can beat them for bigger yardages.

Bottom line is you should get your stud players the ball as often as possible. Sammy's only play shouldn't just be throw it as deep as you can and have him try to make a play.

A long known truism that's too often ignored.

Most players are JAGs. The few who aren't - Sammy, Shady - need to be fed the ball often.

If Sammy gets the same coverage look that he saw in college, we'd be stupid not to incorporate bubble screens. He's more than capable.

If anyone gets a chance, I urge you to review Sammy's college career. His freshman year opposing DCs had their CBs playing tighter coverages and he burned them repeatedly over the top. Towards the end of that year and for both years that followed, Sammy saw a healthy diet of CBs playing 5-10 yards off the line. Sweeney started dialing up bubble screens with regularity and killed defenses with them.

My only concern with bubble screens is the ability of our OLine to execute them. We are just not a very good screening team. Some of that is on TT, but our OLine had a tough time with them, regardless.

Taylor has to be able to read when to audible to them or audible out of them for sure. Also, good blocking WRs and TEs can help a bubble screen a lot. Screens take a lot of practice and timing to get right. I wonder how much we actually practiced it in the past.

Edited by Mark80

Here's one:

Truth: "Sammy Watkins would excel if we incorporated more "bubble screens" in our playbook like he ran in college"

Myth: The CB's that covered Sammy in college are not Aqib Talib or Josh Norman type CB's (i.e. professional football players.) They are faster, stronger and more football savvy than the freshman and sophomore CB's that Sammy tore up as a junior and senior at Clemson. The LB's in the NFL are likewise faster and can react to screens better than the underclassmen LB's that Sammy embarrassed in college.

Fixed

Here's one:

Have you watched a steelers or dolphins game recently? Brown and landry each get like 5 a game....

Edited by dneveu

An actual myth that grinds my gears...

"That rookie will not be able to rely on "insert skill here" in the NFL, because everyone is bigger, stronger and faster"

Every year there is some rookie who comes in and tears apart NFL veterans, because he is bigger, stronger or faster than the guy he lines up across from.