Buffalo Bills Myths

sammy ran one last year, he tried has hard has he could to fall down when someone got near him but everyone kept getting blocked, he ended up running 20 yards sideways and 4 yards forward when he could have manned up and taken it to the house. He is just too scared to get hurt and wants to go down tim brown style.

When will you all here get a clue of how afraid he is to take any contact??? its why hes ran 1 screen in 3 years, coaches saw it, when will you?

If I am thinking of the same play, you're waaaaaaaaay oversimplifying it. Sammy had to go to the complete opposite end of the field, and made a lot of guys miss. They weren't being blocked. Also he got s first down off that play.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything Sammy did in college worked amazing, regardless of the relative athletic skill opposing him. You seem to not appreciate Sammy's elite athletic gifts. He's hard to defend and if we get a CB playing 5-10 yds off the line, he will kill defenses just as he did in college.

OLine and other blockers permitting.

And a QB who can actually pass

Would still like the bills to test it just to make sure it does not work

JMO, but I think the biggest reason we don't see Sammy on screens is his seemingly never-ending feet/leg/ankle injuries. Bubble screens require at least one good juke -if not more- to get past the 1st defender(s). That's a lot of strain on a bum leg vs. running the rest of the route tree.

Myth: Kim is Cheap.

I wasnt sure if you are only talking about the current roster but my favorite myth of the last 20 years is 'CJ Spiller would excel if the coaches can get him in space'

You beat me to the punch FIC. That was accepted as truth for years!!!

I have one for you that I think at least 1/2 of the posters still believe: "Gilmore is a shutdown corner." I suspect that he will not go over so well with Belichick, but if I'm wrong it won't be the first time.

I have one for you that I think at least 1/2 of the posters still believe: "Gilmore is a shutdown corner." I suspect that he will not go over so well with Belichick, but if I'm wrong it won't be the first time.

Andy Levitre should be re-signed at any cost! :) Edited by C.Biscuit97

As much as he was touted as a top tier CB, my memory of him includes a lot more negative plays than positive ones. Maybe Belichick saw something that I didn't...after all, he's a genius.

I guess we can use this as a thread to argue certain myths relating to the Bills roster.

Here's one:

Myth: "Sammy Watkins would excel if we incorporated more "bubble screens" in our playbook like he ran in college"

Truth: The CB's that covered Sammy in college are not Aqib Talib or Josh Norman type CB's (i.e. professional football players.) They are faster, stronger and more football savvy than the freshman and sophomore CB's that Sammy tore up as a junior and senior at Clemson. The LB's in the NFL are likewise faster and can react to screens better than the underclassmen LB's that Sammy embarrassed in college.

Therefore, bubble screens won't work in the NFL which is why Sammy is used to stretch the field, not shorten it.

Not a great start to the thread.

I definitely disagree with your "truth" and I see I'm not alone.

Watching around the NFL, I see bubble screens being extremely successful around the NFL with lots of receivers of all sizes.

I've heard the Bills don't like running those plays because Tyrod Taylor doesn't have a quick enough release. Is it true? Who knows. The Bills didn't do them with Kyle Orton under center either.

Not a great start to the thread.

I definitely disagree with your "truth" and I see I'm not alone.

Watching around the NFL, I see bubble screens being extremely successful around the NFL with lots of receivers of all sizes.

I've heard the Bills don't like running those plays because Tyrod Taylor doesn't have a quick enough release. Is it true? Who knows. The Bills didn't do them with Kyle Orton under center either.

You've heard?? From who? Link?

Your position is based on faulty logic. I've seen many short passes from Tyrod to WR's in the 2-5 yd range and they are well timed and executed. So we relegated to another "blame Tyrod" argument when, perhaps, it's better to consider why Sammy ("The Chosen One") hasn't excelled at bubble screens like so many here remember from his playing days in college. LOL

I think we both know that I never said "at any cost."

I still suspect that he was hurt when he left, thus making it a good move not to sign him. That said, he look pretty good last season, no?

Yeah he looked OK finally. But like you said he was hurt and smart not to wait 5 years for him to get healthy while making him one of the highest pd Guards in the league.

Yeah he looked OK finally. But like you said he was hurt and smart not to wait 5 years for him to get healthy while making him one of the highest pd Guards in the league.

Yes, and I admittedly was furious when they let him walk, without knowing about any possible injury.

I saw it in the sense that they traded up to draft him, and he did all that one could expect. AL was a left tackle in college which helped him quite a bit wrt pass blocking. On running plays, he got great angles and was a fine blocker. Next thing I knew, he didn't get an offer.

Hey, Whaley was (imo) a disaster. A sub-par GM and I am thrilled that he is gone. But yes, he was right about Levitre.

Edited by Bill from NYC

Yes, and I admittedly was furious when they let him walk, without knowing about any possible injury.

I saw it in the sense that they traded up to draft him, and he did all that one could expect. AL was a left tackle in college which helped him quite a bit wrt pass blocking. On running plays, he got great angles and was a fine blocker. Next thing I knew, he didn't get an offer.

Hey, Whaley was (imo) a disaster. A sub-par GM and I am thrilled that he is gone. But yes, he was right about Levitre.

Did Chan Gailey run a ZBS? I know they did in Atlanta and he played well last season. Maybe that has to do with it? Just throwing a dart at the board.

Myth: Doug Whaley is a top NFL GM who'd be snatched up by another team in a second if we were to let him go.

Reality: Many seconds have passed. So will many years.

No doubt. Also,

Myth: Russ Brandon would be snatched up by another NFL team to be their president if Pegs were to let him go.

Reality:

B9317993548Z.1_20150723175721_000_GSCBDA