St. Doug Laying the Groundwork

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What the....

I want to say you had me going but then I was like - is he trying to?

no. i really think we'd have been better off keeping fitz, getting manuel as we did (though, not the best choice i just realize you can't control everything in the past). and marrone would have been better to keep until we knew were readey to find a real coach and not rex. wasting the money on marrone was better than rex

The intriguing issue that is worth discussing is what would have been the prospects for this team if he would have stayed on board? I honestly believe that if he would have stayed this team would be so much more advanced and be on the cusp of being a relevant team. Does that mean it would have made the playoffs? Not necessarily. Although the roster would have been much more developed the issue still comes down to having a legitimate franchise qb. What I believe is that if he would have stayed he would have forced the vacillating GM to address the qb issue sooner rather than later.

The Bills franchise wasted the two years that the corpulent HC coached here and it requires another two years to cleanse out the stench that he left here. That is four years wasted that could have been used to steadily get better. Make no mistake that when Marrone took over this team was basically a rebuilding team that he got to play hard and smartly. His offense was a Jauron styled offense but that was due to its lack of talent.

The page has been turned with the hiring of McDermott. To a lesser extent than when Marrone was first hired he is also in a rebuild that is going to take at least a few years to rework the roster and get himself a franchise qb. There is a similarity between Marrone and McDermott that the Marrone critics don't acknowledge: Both coaches in short order recognized that Whaley's high draft picks in Manuel and Kujo were not good enough to keep.

He did get them to play hard and smart, I think. I didn't like his extreme conservatism on things like punting and game management, but yeah, they played hard.

But while you could say they were rebuilding, it's a stretch, as they were in years four and five of that rebuild.

And what McDermott is doing isn't rebuilding, it's reloading. If it were a rebuild they'd have gotten rid of McCoy, Kyle Williams, Tyrod, Incognito and any other guys who are too old to be around and contributing three and four years down the road. That doesn't mean it's not a major project they're working on; it is. But it's not a rebuild.

Whether he is successful or not is debatable, but what he said is what a coach should say. He's trying to turn around a failed program. His success is probably not going to happen with Bortles at the helm. He's a coach killer.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge on Bortles, but I agree that what Marrone said here was totally reasonable, particularly for a new coach trying to set a tone.

Edited by Thurman#1

....Marrone preached "need for culture change" in his Brandon interview and rightfully so.....and reiterated the same in his almost daily calls to Brandon while waiting for decision...problem was he tried to emulate a General Patton, dictatorial like approach....Fisher training camp regimen was practice, dinner and back to Fisher for meetings until 9 or 10PM...wore on players as well as Brandon and Whaley who were included in those meetings which they hated......Pegula offered Marrone a 4 year, $19.6 million dollar extension but he took his $4 mil and ran knowing Brandon and Whaley would be his adversaries.....chapter closed...............

If Schwartz would have been named the HC this franchise would now be more stable and not be going through another excruciating rebuilding process. Progress was made under Marrone and that steady progress under Schwartz would have continued.

What do you base this on? His time as a HC in Detroit was wildly unstable.

Plain and simple, he was in over his head when he was here. He never got a chance to really dig in, but that was his choice, and he knew he wasnt ready, too.

From bringing in Hackett, to the poor oline play, the play calling, etc.

He might do it with Coughlins help this time around, but the timing wasnt right when he was with us.

as nearly to my thinking as anything else here.

Not a fan. Him fiddling with the O line still irks me.

Whether he is successful or not is debatable, but what he said is what a coach should say. He's trying to turn around a failed program. His success is probably not going to happen with Bortles at the helm. He's a coach killer.

it could be suggested Marrone is a QB killer

no. i really think we'd have been better off keeping fitz, getting manuel as we did (though, not the best choice i just realize you can't control everything in the past). and marrone would have been better to keep until we knew were readey to find a real coach and not rex. wasting the money on marrone was better than rex

I agree about the Fitz tragic situation screwed the team. He would have been fine for another season and mentor to EJ.

Marrone would have reached his ceiling but having turned the team around.

But it was not going to be with Whaley butting heads with Douglas

I think Bill B is the same so is that bad? Or is a Rex anything goes better?

Actually I think Doug was stricter than Bill B. Plus Bill B has the Super Bowl rings to back it up.

Doug wasn't a bad coach but it was his arrogant attitude that rubbed me the wrong way, even via NFL standards. Reports came out of him being nasty to secretaries, miserable, a control freak, and I believe he thought he was going to get the Jets job so he bailed. There's a reason why his face wasn't included once in the 2014 Bills highlight video.

I admit Rex who is Doug's opposite wasn't any better with his approach. Still I personally don't miss Doug.

He did get them to play hard and smart, I think. I didn't like his extreme conservatism on things like punting and game management, but yeah, they played hard.

But while you could say they were rebuilding, it's a stretch, as they were in years four and five of that rebuild.

And what McDermott is doing isn't rebuilding, it's reloading. If it were a rebuild they'd have gotten rid of McCoy, Kyle Williams, Tyrod, Incognito and any other guys who are too old to be around and contributing three and four years down the road. That doesn't mean it's not a major project they're working on; it is. But it's not a rebuild.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge on Bortles, but I agree that what Marrone said here was totally reasonable, particularly for a new coach trying to set a tone.

The reload nonsense again. This team is going on 18 years without one playoff appearance. Reload what?

....Marrone preached "need for culture change" in his Brandon interview and rightfully so.....and reiterated the same in his almost daily calls to Brandon while waiting for decision...problem was he tried to emulate a General Patton, dictatorial like approach....

Marrone wasnt wrong in wanting a culture change. Point I made earlier is that McD seems to be very similar in his outlook - imparting culture change but wanting to concentrate power in his hands. Pegulas didn't do enough to convince a HC who had 2 years of experience but got sold on a rookie HC's vision of the same. Not all coaches are the same so I fervently hope McD can make it work but the apparent approach by Pegulas with Marrone and McD is certainly questionable in my mind.

Marrone wasnt wrong in wanting a culture change. Point I made earlier is that McD seems to be very similar in his outlook - imparting culture change but wanting to concentrate power in his hands. Pegulas didn't do enough to convince a HC who had 2 years of experience but got sold on a rookie HC's vision of the same. Not all coaches are the same so I fervently hope McD can make it work but the apparent approach by Pegulas with Marrone and McD is certainly questionable in my mind.

..EXACTLY right bud.....losing became acceptable post Polian with a cadre of patchwork FO/Admin/Coaching personnel.....unqualifieds filling positions, personnel people past their prime and retread coaches on the cheap...think the players couldn't sense it?......Pegula DID offer Doug a 4 year, $19.6 mil extension either because he bought into the culture change idea or because he wanted to hold the organization together as he got his "feet wet" as a neophyte owner....all in the past and we'll never know....Brandon and Whaley were Marrone's biggest opponents to his General Patton style because he required their presence at all team meetings which crimped their styles....Whaley is gone, Brandon got kicked upstairs so I see McD and Beane co-piloting "the ship".....think these "young guns" are comfy with a losing culture?...not a chance IMO....think Terry likes their intestinal fortitude?..hmmmm........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Was it me or did Marrone offense look like something out of the old Tecmo Bowl gm. Not even Part 2 but part 1 with the 4plays, lol.

....don;t put much stock in him being NO's OC with Payton being HC.....he may end up ok in Jayville with his Patton style approach if he can blend with da Fuhrer's Coughlin who has mellowed after Strahan tongue lashing.....if these guys reach a happy medium on a fair yet firm, disciplined football team, the Jags could become a factor.............

Was it me or did Marrone offense look like something out of the old Tecmo Bowl gm. Not even Part 2 but part 1 with the 4plays, lol.

Kind of true. But with a rookie QB, who wasn't even that good to begin with what do you expect?

Edited by vincec

Maybe if they had kept Fitz one more season they would have passed on EJ and drafter Carr the next season? What if game, it doesn't matter I know but still.

Shot gun hand off up the gut, shot gun hand off up the gut. 3rd and 12. 2 yard dump off to running back. Punt.?

Those who defend Maroon as a good coach baffle me. This guy's first NFL challenge was on a NE fumble that we didn't even recover. He put players in the doghouse that performed when he was finally forced to play them. He's an idiot and a quitter, and we were well rid of him.

Those who defend Maroon as a good coach baffle me. This guy's first NFL challenge was on a NE fumble that we didn't even recover. He put players in the doghouse that performed when he was finally forced to play them. He's an idiot and a quitter, and we were well rid of him.

Marrone putting players in the "doghouse" was him putting in a culture of discipline. Belichick puts players in the dog house all the time.

His first challenge as a rookie HC wasn't good and that means he sucks? Yikes, McD is on a short leash.