VETERAN WR OPTIONS

Can Lee Evans or Eric Moulds get back into shape? At this point how about Josh Reed? TO? Randy Moss?

For those that think I am serious... just look at the list that are available. The FA/Trade WR are not much better (except Decker) then these "old" guys. My point is we are going into the season with what we got, nothing is going to change that dynamic. None of these FA/trade guys are worth much and will not change our offense enough to make it worth while.

Edited by Iraq Vet

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Preston is not a "BUM." But perhaps trade him if Ragland is the winner of the competition. Then again, we could use some LB depth this year. We are thinner their than at WR. Perhaps the odd-man out in the 3-way backup QB battle.

i wish these guys were worth something but i doubt it. teams will just wait for them to get cut

Preston is not a "BUM." But perhaps trade him if Ragland is the winner of the competition. Then again, we could use some LB depth this year. We are thinner their than at WR. Perhaps the odd-man out in the 3-way backup QB battle.

If we can swing a Shep-for-Hughes type trade with Preston that would be awesome. Don't think we would need a WR in that scenario though. Probably gonna let Brown's year ride out for the depth.

I don't have any sources, just log jams on the depth chart for some teams that may be had for a low draft pick or FA without breaking the bank. Thought I'd start the conversation.

1. Tyrell Williams-LA

2. Matthew Slater-NE

3. Brandon Coleman-NO

4. Sammie Coates-PIT

5. Brian Quick-WAS

6. Kendall Wright-CHI

7. Allison Geronimo-GB

8. Phillip Dorsett-IND

9. Marquise Lee-JAC

10. Tyler Boyd-CIN

Slater wont be cut or traded. He is the Pats pro bowl special teams capt.

We're not going to trade Ragland. First of all, the guy has the potential to be a star. Secondly, we are woefully thin at LB.

I project that our three starting LBs this year will be: OLB Hodges, MLB Ragland, OLB Alexander.

The Bills need to keep P. Brown to be the backup MLB. He may not be a great player, but he's still pretty good.

After that, it gets to be very dicey.

Humber (played for NE) is the next best player and could play some OLB, but is mostly a ST guy.

Bradford (played for GB) has a real shot to make the team as an OLB and ST player.

Milano and Vallejo are small OLBs. I don't expect either player to contribute much except on ST. There's no guarantee that either will even make the final roster, esp. if the Bills keep only 6 LBs.

I guess I'm just going off that we'll probably see 2 LBs on the field most of the time, and we have Hodges, Brown, Alexander, Humber, Milano, and Vallejo. I personally cannot wait to see if Ragland can produce in our scheme, but just from a numbers game standpoint it would make sense to me. IF there's a trade partner.

My rule is don't give up on high-end talent too early. Ragland is one of those guys who could be a major impact player in the defense for the next five years. No way do I trade him before we even have chance to look at him. Especially in the scenario you're talking about - trading a potential impact player who plays in the center of the field for a receiver that his original team doesn't want and who at best will become a number 2 wideout but more likely will simply be competing to for the 4th or fifth spot in the receiving corps. Makes no sense.

We're not going to trade Ragland. First of all, the guy has the potential to be a star. Secondly, we are woefully thin at LB.

I project that our three starting LBs this year will be: OLB Hodges, MLB Ragland, OLB Alexander.

The Bills need to keep P. Brown to be the backup MLB. He may not be a great player, but he's still pretty good.

Humber (played for NE) is the next best player and could play some OLB, but is mostly a ST guy.

Bradford (played for GB) has a real shot to make the team as an OLB and ST player.

Milano and Vallejo are small OLBs. I don't expect either player to contribute much except on ST. There's no guarantee that either will even make the final roster, esp. if the Bills keep only 6 LBs.

Regarding the last two, I suspect they are going after a very specific situational role in addition to special teams. Maybe they are look at the pats and saying they need small fast LBs to hand the backs and tight ends so you're not playing a true safety in the linebacker spot.

When your talking about backup LBs you could do a lot worse then preston brown who can play multiple positions

We are not as bad off at LB as some would portray....especially with Hodges in the fold. Any team that starts taking on injuries to starters is in the same postiion of playing guys they would otherwise rather not play....at least we have vets at the backup spots.

My rule is don't give up on high-end talent too early. Ragland is one of those guys who could be a major impact player in the defense for the next five years. No way do I trade him before we even have chance to look at him. Especially in the scenario you're talking about - trading a potential impact player who plays in the center of the field for a receiver that his original team doesn't want and who at best will become a number 2 wideout but more likely will simply be competing to for the 4th or fifth spot in the receiving corps. Makes no sense.

Not giving up on Ragland by any means. The scenario was if he's completely out of place in the 4-3, and considering we will probably will only have 3 LBs on the field a low amount of the time, estimated at about 35% of plays (see below), why not try and get some value at a place of need? I should have clarified that it would not be Ragland for one of the guys on the initial list necessarily, but someone who would be a pretty solid WR2-3.

"The 2015 season was the seventh straight year for an increase in the number of defensive snaps in the NFL with five defensive back or more on the field. Per Pro Football Focus here is the percentage of plays in NFL games with five DBs or more on the field in every season since 2008:

2008: 43.4%

2009: 45.1%

2010: 48.8%

2011: 52.5%

2012: 54.4%

2013: 58.3%

2014: 60.3%

2015: 63.4%"

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks

I don't have any sources, just log jams on the depth chart for some teams that may be had for a low draft pick or FA without breaking the bank. Thought I'd start the conversation.

1. Tyrell Williams-LA

2. Matthew Slater-NE

3. Brandon Coleman-NO

4. Sammie Coates-PIT

5. Brian Quick-WAS

6. Kendall Wright-CHI

7. Allison Geronimo-GB

8. Phillip Dorsett-IND

9. Marquise Lee-JAC

10. Tyler Boyd-CIN

Someone may come free at the end of the preseason. I wouldn't rush to trade for anyone either unless someone wants to take Cardale off our hands.

I didn't see you mention Gerald Hodges who's likely our starting WLB.

Edited by The Jokeman

1. Tyrell Williams-LA

2. Matthew Slater-NE

3. Brandon Coleman-NO

4. Sammie Coates-PIT

5. Brian Quick-WAS

6. Kendall Wright-CHI

7. Allison Geronimo-GB

8. Phillip Dorsett-IND

9. Marquise Lee-JAC

10. Tyler Boyd-CIN

These are the two guys I would like the Bills to pursue if they are released at the end of the preseason. Especially Quick, he is a big body receiver.

2015: 69 catches, 789 yards, 4 touchdowns

2016: 67 catches, 584 yards, 8 touchdowns

Half the WRs in the NFL must be in wheelchairs.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd love a WR on this team that can contribute 8TD's. Boldin would be a great addition. Tough possession WR who can block and provide vet leadership. But, Buffalo may not be his first choice when teams come a knocking, and they will come soon.

Edited by billsbackto81

My concern for our WR core is If Watkins can't play through pain we're in trouble. Jones was the right pick but it's hard to manage expectations of a rookie. Holmes, Brown and Powell/Lewis...yikes! I'm trying to maintain my confidence in this coaching staff but I would think we'd want to surround Tyrod with a supporting cast. I still think we need a solid #2...we'll see what happens.

I just don't get why people like Quick over a Holmes/Streater. What has he done that they didn't do? If he was good - they wouldn't have spent 34 million on Bob Woods.

Right now it looks like Jones is taking over the Woods spot of #2, probably moving over to the slot in 3 WR formations. I don't think he's an upgrade there, but Woods always seemed to have a sore something... and he fell over a lot.

Holmes is #3, and Brown is #4. Last year that was goodwin/hunter. Goodwin has speed, but he isn't a red zone threat, and is a poor route runner. He didn't seem to have a good football sense/toughness either. Hunter was added mid-season so it's tough to evaluate him. Streater may provide some depth, and tate probably returns kicks. Watkins needs to healthy, and then we're better than a year ago. 1 Healthy watkins is a big upgrade over the 1/2 watkins we had a year ago.