Gillislee on the Patriot Way

stuvian

Is Belichick a really good coach? Yeah. Is he job a million times easier because he has the greatest player ever at the most important position in sports? Yeah.

It's like Phil Jackson. It's easier to hold your player's accountable when you have Jordan, Kobe, & Shaq. Not so easy when you have Carmelo.

As with almost any success- it's not a silver bullet that makes it all come together but a variety of skills/assets. And in ideal situations that includes identifying and securing strong fits.

BB is an excellent X and O guy, does very well on game day, and did take a risk moving on from Bledsoe to Brady (as obvious as hindsight makes it look)

If you plop him in Jacksonville maybe he has enough time and resources to create a powerhouse too. It wouldn't be instant. But he fits his role in the organization very well.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Belichick doesnt usually sign Carmelo like players and if he does they are on very short leases.

A Thomas, Haynseworth, and Chad Johnson say hi.

The Pats make a ton of mistakes. They have the greatest qb ever so they don't hurt as much. It's really not that complicated.

If the Bills traded Tyrod for Brady, they are the better team and the Bald Ginger is the coach of the year.

As with almost any success- it's not a silver bullet that makes it all come together but a variety of skills/assets. And in ideal situations that includes identifying and securing strong fits.

BB is an excellent X and O guy, does very well on game day, and did take a risk moving on from Bledsoe to Brady (as obvious as hindsight makes it look)

If you plop him in Jacksonville maybe he has enough time and resources to create a powerhouse too. It wouldn't be instant. But he fits his role in the organization very well.

I don't disagree but he went 6-10 and started 1-3 the next year until Mo Lewis put a 6th round qb in. That's some insane luck.

The Pats make a ton of mistakes. They have the greatest qb ever so they don't hurt as much. It's really not that complicated.

If the Bills traded Tyrod for Brady, they are the better team and the Bald Ginger is the coach of the year.

I don't disagree but he went 6-10 and started 1-3 the next year until Mo Lewis put a 6th round qb in. That's some insane luck.

Did you read the very short lease statement?

Thomas was let go after he couldnt play to the level that was required after his broken arm in his new role. He couldnt/wouldnt produce in the role Belichick wantedand he was let go.

Haynesworth started 0 games for the patriots and only saw playing time in 6 games.

Chad Johnson started 3 games for the patriots. Its clear that what I said was true. Those facts say high.

When you arent dedicated, arent willing to do what you are told, and arent being a team player regardless of who you are you lr leash is very very short on a Belichick led team.

I'm pretty sure he took over midway through a week 2 game, but that's splitting hairs. And there's almost always a bit of luck in stories like this.

There are a few spots I think we discredit him too quickly though-- one being that he did draft him, carry him as a 4th qb his rookie year then push him up to 2 and stick with him. I think there are a few elements in that story that say maybe he saw a glimmer instead of just being total dumb luck. Brady wasn't the hall of famer right out of the gate. Also, I think we have seen that he's done well getting the most out of the position with second and third tier prospects.

While I think both a great, I do think that if you drop bellichek in a random city 15 years ago he is more likely to succeed than Brady going to most franchises. Putting them together though ended up being special.

Is anyone still shocked by any of this? Players prefer playing for a super bowl caliber team with structure and coaches that win and get the most out of their squad.

The Patriots are a far superior team. It won't last forever. Get over it.

I've said for years that the field house and bubble were a big mistake. The weather here should be their adventive. I remember one of the Bills commenting about playing indoors during the Toronto fiasco. They were glad because he didn't like playing in the bad weather. That is so wrong. It made me think back to Talley playing in short sleeves during a blizzard.

There's a difference between a practice facility that let's you escape the elements in order to execute good pre-game preparations and an indoor facility that negates a perceived weather advantage. The facility was built for the sole purpose of the team being able to have good practices when the outside weather simply wasn't permissible.

Maybe Darius won't be 20 lbs overweight this training camp with that marine for a position coach and MMA person as our head coach. I have a feeling what Gilleslie described will be the same here.

It's one of the reasons I like this staff.. they haven't won any games yet, but they are making lots of the right decisions in hiring the right disciplined coaches with past success, and McDermitt even runs with his players at practices. He's done it since Philly.

Thank god no more Camp Rex

There's a difference between a practice facility that let's you escape the elements in order to execute good pre-game preparations and an indoor facility that negates a perceived weather advantage. The facility was built for the sole purpose of the team being able to have good practices when the outside weather simply wasn't permissible.

Yup. No one thinks of the situation where we waste 2-3 days practicing in slop and then never see a snowflake on game day while the other team is sharp and well practiced.

it's such a rarity to play in serious conditions. Fans identify with it more than it is a reality for the team at this point. If we start hosting lots of playoff games maybe that changes I guess.

Yup. No one thinks of the situation where we waste 2-3 days practicing in slop and then never see a snowflake on game day while the other team is sharp and well practiced.

it's such a rarity to play in serious conditions. Fans identify with it more than it is a reality for the team at this point. If we start hosting lots of playoff games maybe that changes I guess.

You should probably let Belichek know you have done your analysis, and that his practice strategy is all wrong.

Edited by PlayoffsPlease

They acquired Chad Johnson and Haynesworth for peanuts.

You should probably let Belichek know you have done your analysis, and that his practice strategy is all wrong.

Are you suggesting the Patriots don't use an indoor practice facility?

Superior talent is the major difference, as well as veterans who have won a lot. The new guys come in and they have to up their game to match what those vets have done.

Not sure that the Pats or BB do anything special.

They don't have superior talent. They have the greatest qb ever and a really good coach. The rest of their roster is comparable to the rest of the NFL. Again, if the Bills and Pats switch qbs, we are SB contenders.

Are we just ignoring their indoor facility while calling our field house a mistake?

I wasn't arguing you NEVER go outside, simply noting that most fans have romanticized that far more than the reality of the situation

I am so sick of hearing about the Patriots cheating I could puke. Move on people. So what, everyone looks for an edge, New England is better in all phases of the game currently. Either beat them or shut up and watch Happy Days reruns.

I am so sick of hearing about the Patriots cheating I could puke. Move on people. So what, everyone looks for an edge, New England is better in all phases of the game currently. Either beat them or shut up and watch Happy Days reruns.

.....hmmmm...interesting....sound like those FIVE Lombardi's and FOURTEEN AFCE titles are not or cannot be solely attributed to cheating (COUGH).....perfect excuse as to why we are perennially chasing a far superior organization and club.........convince me otherwise............

When your head coach (Rex) is the last guy in the building and first one to leave most days, it sets the tone for the rest of the team.

So far I like what i see from McDermott. It sounds like he's the first guy in the building and the last one to leave every single day. That's a good start.

You've also already heard guys talking about the much higher tempo practices too. Having to run from drill to drill, on and off the field (etc).

I really like what seems to be a very detail oriented, teaching approach too.

That's one of the things Belichick is said to excel at, and Rex struggled with (he even said as much) - teaching his scheme.

I've always done better learning something when it was broken down in a more detailed way, and I was taught Why you are doing something, along with how.

Hopefully the new approach at OBD will pay off in the long run. I don't expect miracles. I think year 3 is where I will expect to see things really taking shape. That's what happened in Carolina anyway. Year 3 under McD that defense took a big step forward (to be one of the top defenses in the NFL).