Jeremy Maclin (Agrees to 2 year deal with Ravens)

What is it about pizza from Buffalo that makes it stand out or is special?

As I've said before I am not from Buffalo, nor have I been there, yet.

I love pizza, and I've asked my fellow Bills fans, who are transplants, how good is the pizza in Buffalo. Most of them tell me it's alright, but when it comes to Buffalo food, they prefer wings and beef on weck moreso than pizza.

There's a few things, mostly that the crust has perfect thickness--between that of think crust and deep dish. Also, the sauce is a bit sweeter in general.

The hidden secret, however, is something that most people don't know...it's literally in the water.

When I worked in the restaurant industry, we sent our head chef to a national convention. At the convention, each of the chefs was given water from 100 cities around the country to use to make mini pizza crusts using a stock flour mixture. The crusts made with Buffalo water were almost unanimously chosen as the best.

To me, anyway, it has a lot to do with the water profile. Great for making dough. Personal experience since leaving is that it is far more difficult to replicate the pizza than it is the wings.

as I see it...our sauce has a sweetness to it unlike other pizzas. Its thick and with a crust that has a little pull to it (as opposed to NYC/Italian crispy). Cup pepperoni that has little pools of grease in it are another signature of it and holy ****, I better stop before I go and order some :lol:

Indeed...see above

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love pizza, and I've asked my fellow Bills fans, who are transplants, how good is the pizza in Buffalo. Most of them tell me it's alright, but when it comes to Buffalo food, they prefer wings and beef on weck moreso than pizza.

IMHO, the pizza in buffalo is second to none. i gather that most that grew up in buffalo would feel the same. moved away 9 years ago and and i miss it and sorry i took it for granted. i dont think there is any "bad pizza" in buffalo.. i am on the outskirts of philly and the pizza here tastes like sh-t. to attempt to answer your question about why buffalo pizza is special, i would submit its the consistency of the crust and sauce. the crust is not like the cardboard that passes off for NYC pizza or the doughy chicago style.

Edited by dwight in philly

This is a sad,sad thing. You announced the Listenbee pick and you have NEVER BEEN TO BUFFALO?! You must, immediately, remedy this situation.

In terms of the food, the reports of excellent pizza are true, but Wings and beef on weck are the cuisine WNY is most known for. As such, there are a lot of places that do them well as a source of pride...and tourist dollars. Pizza, like most all North American cities, is a staple of diet in Buffalo. And, like most all North American cities, there are a number of restaurants that excel in making great pizza.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

Fair enough.

I have Bocce as my clear #1, but the rest of my top 5 is up for debate, and includes Imperial, Bob & John's La Hacienda, Buzzy's, Gino & Joe's.

This is, of course, for traditional take-out style pizza.

For all styles, the best pizza I've ever had in my life is from Roost on Niagara Street. Cooked in a special oven crafted in Italy, it makes stone-oven pies in less than 90 seconds, and the toppings are high class, fancy fare (like duck confit, figs and prosciutto, sopressata and pickled peppers, etc.). Menu rotates on a biweekly and seasonal basis too.

Leonardi's is the best. Leonardi's and Bocce's are the same recipe I think. I have been told that Leonardi's stole the recipie from Bocce's and I believe it.

At this point though, Leonardi's waaaaaay more consistent. You order from Bocce's and it's 50/50 whether you are getting a sloppy pie or not. Leonardi's is like 90-95% consistent. I wouldn't order anything but pizza or fingers from there though. I have never been impressed with Leonardi's wings or subs.

There's a few things, mostly that the crust has perfect thickness--between that of think crust and deep dish. Also, the sauce is a bit sweeter in general.

The hidden secret, however, is something that most people don't know...it's literally in the water.

When I worked in the restaurant industry, we sent our head chef to a national convention. At the convention, each of the chefs was given water from 100 cities around the country to use to make mini pizza crusts using a stock flour mixture. The crusts made with Buffalo water were almost unanimously chosen as the best.

Indeed...see above

I'm glad someone else knows! It's also the reason why I miss italian bread from Buffalo vs local places.

Your family's from Williamsville, right? I always hated that we had another Bocce on Hopkins with the same recipe, but that they were so poorly run that we kept having to go to Bailey.

Overrun with students!

Your family's from Williamsville, right? I always hated that we had another Bocce on Hopkins with the same recipe, but that they were so poorly run that we kept having to go to Bailey.

Yep, I make the trip when I'm home. Hopkins is good too just not quite as good. They can be hit and miss.

Pizza in Buffalo is different. Pizza from Tops or Wegmans is better than anything we have in Raleigh and its pedestrian Pizza in Buffalo..part of it is that you are eating it in Buffalo, but to me its:

1) Quality of ingredients -- the sauce is homemade from the tomato and tomato paste--spiced correctly; the peperoni, the sausage, the peppers are all top quality as are any spices (Oregano to die for) and made by folks in many cases whose recipes are passed from generation to generation

2) The dough -- again handcrafted from the flour with age old recipes that toss in some spicing that have been passed down from generation to generation

3) Truly made to order -- if you want soggy and greasy or crispy or anything in between its easy to get at the best places -- leave mine in the oven 5 extra minutes...or take mine out early--personal taste

Its tradition, ingredients and the place to me...

Edited by JoeF

BTW, why the hell is Steve Smith in Baltimore, much less at the Ravens facility? He was there for 3 years and retired in January, was with Carolina for 13, and was born and raised in LA.

Pizza in Buffalo is different. Pizza from Tops or Wegmans is better than anything we have in Raleigh and its pedestrian Pizza in Buffalo..part of it is that you are eating it in Buffalo, but to me its:

1) Quality of ingredients -- the sauce is homemade from the tomato and tomato paste--spiced correctly; the peperoni, the sausage, the peppers are all top quality as are any spices (Oregano to die for) and made by folks in many cases whose recipes are passed from generation to generation

2) The dough -- again handcrafted from the egg and flour with age old recipes that toss in some spicing that have been passed down from generation to generation

3) Truly made to order -- if you want soggy and greasy or crispy or anything in between its easy to get at the best places -- leave mine in the oven 5 extra minutes...or take mine out early--personal taste

Its tradition, ingredients and the place to me...

There are eggs and spices in Buffalo pizza dough??? The oregano is better? Does Buffalo pizza use a different brand of canned tomato and paste that isn't available to the rest of the country??

Adam Caplan Retweeted

John Harbaugh said that team had great visit with Jeremy Maclin. But he has left without deal

Jeff ZrebiecVerified account @jeffzrebiecsun 2m2 minutes ago

Harbaugh said that Maclin wants some time to make decision.

0 replies 3 retweets 2 likes
Edited by Tsaikotic

I wonder if the Ravens fan site is going all crazy today...

Re: Chiefs Release Maclin

Harbs just said Maclin will leave without a deal. He's got a wedding or something this weekend and wants some more time to decide.

Leonardi's is the best. Leonardi's and Bocce's are the same recipe I think. I have been told that Leonardi's stole the recipie from Bocce's and I believe it.

At this point though, Leonardi's waaaaaay more consistent. You order from Bocce's and it's 50/50 whether you are getting a sloppy pie or not. Leonardi's is like 90-95% consistent. I wouldn't order anything but pizza or fingers from there though. I have never been impressed with Leonardi's wings or subs.

what's nice about Leonardi's too is that you can solve all arguments over toppings by ordering a Four Seasons pizza.

Adam Caplan Retweeted

Jeff Zrebiec‏Verified account @jeffzrebiecsun [url=https://twitter.com/jeffzrebiecsun/status/872882327378165760]2m2 minutes ago[/url

John Harbaugh said that team had great visit with Jeremy Maclin. But he has left without deal

Alright, so he used them for tickets to game 3 NBA Finals, now heading back HOME (B-Lo)!?!?

Edited by Eric Moulds on my A**

There are eggs and spices in Buffalo pizza dough??? The oregano is better? Does Buffalo pizza use a different brand of canned tomato and paste that isn't available to the rest of the country??

!@#$ off